1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Afghanistan 2021

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Ubiquitin, Jun 25, 2021.

1. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

At least we know your thoughts and opinions are your own.

dmoneybangbang and Andre0087 like this.
  2. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Crenshaw's on the case y'all

[​IMG]

dmoneybangbang, dobro1229 and ROCKSS like this.
  3. marky :)

marky :) Member

Idk. Maybe he just has trouble seeing the full picture.

4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I think he probably can see the full picture, but he’s staking a position that will serve his narrow political interests. If he was in a position of actually being responsible for the evacuation, his words would be very different.

5. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

I think you were missing the subtext in his comment.

durvasa and Andre0087 like this.
  6. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

you supported george w. bush.

7. adoo

adoo Member

lmao, you must have beein living in a cave during Orange man's tenure as potus.

orange man didn't plan
    • to replace Obama care, thus his remark "who knoew healthcare is so complicated"
    • to distribute water/food and aids to Puerto Ricans after the hurricane
    • to start a trade war w China
    • to distribute PPE to states, in the beginning stages of COVID
    • to distribute the vaccine for COVID
    • etc

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I mean thank GOD Trump defeated ISIS, right? RIGHT?

DD

AleksandarN, Ubiquitin, Blatz and 2 others like this.
  9. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

subtomic and Nook like this.
  10. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I agree with the pull-out. I think the execution could have been better but that is really up to military leadership, not Biden. I also think the timing was F'ing stupid but I think maybe Biden is was going to fall on the sword. Midterms is going to be really wack.

11. adoo

adoo Member

the Afghanistan quagmire has been another vivid eg of W's incompetence. i put all the blame on W.

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

That's false. We lost 11 members of our military in Afghanistan in 2020, 4 in combat. There were 23 service members killed in Afghanistan during 2019, including 17 in combat. You might consider improving your sources of information. "orange man" is a fool and a liar. You should own up to his mistakes, such as this withdrawal plan being negotiated by trump's administration between his foreign policy people, including Pompeo, who bragged about the deal at the time, and the Taliban, and without the participation of the Afghan government. The original withdrawal date was back in May.

Did President Biden handle the withdrawal poorly? Yes, because it is on his watch, but the "plan" is essentially your "orange man's" deal. There's no need to make things up. Reality is bad enough.

Sources:

Kiely, Eugene and Farley, Robert. “Timeline of U.S. Withdrawal from Afghanistan.” FactCheck.org. 17 Aug 2021.

Kiely, Eugene, et al. “FactChecking Biden’s Statements About Afghanistan.” FactCheck.org. 20 Aug 2021.

Lemire, Jonathan, et al. “Biden holds to Kabul Aug. 31 deadline despite criticism.” The Associated Press. 24 Aug 2021.

U.S. Military Casualties – Operation Freedom’s Sentinel (OFS) Casualty Summary by Month and Service.” Defense Casualty Analysis System. Accessed 24 Aug 2021.

Wellman, Phillip. “Afghanistan: Remembering the fallen of 2020.” Stars and Stripes. 30 Dec 2020.

Knickmeyer, Ellen. “Costs of the Afghanistan war, in lives and dollars.” The Associated Press. 17 Aug 2021.

13. dmoneybangbang

I think Biden was wanting to not drag this out into the midterms.

Biden and Dems really need find common cause on the domestic legislative agenda.

14. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Death toll for Afghans have reached 169 so far. Now they believe it was just a single bomber.

https://www.npr.org/2021/08/27/1031649747/kabul-airport-explosions-afghanistan-dead-evacuations

15. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I'm sure that's the case, but they've been kicking this can down the road for 20 years, so nobody would have noticed a few more years.

16. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

17. astros123

astros123 Member

As someone who has supported biden I'm pretty disappointed at the attack. There's absolutely no fkin reason us soldiers should be the ones patting down afghans and searching them. We've been in the fkin country for 20 years and the CIA havnt developed assets whom can do the dangerous ****?! Get some of those SIV afghans whinning and make them do the job. What assets have the CIA developed all these years ? For ****s sakes offer amnesty to vetted afghans and make them do the pat downs and searches. For no reason should US troops had been in direct danger when we had millions of afghanis we could've took for the job.

There's so much Incompetence at leadership and intelligence its literally remarkable

So disappointed. These generals at pentagon literally have no idea what there doing. Do we really trust any of these generals if we went to war with China?

Gioan Baotixita likes this.
  18. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

friend of mine just sent this along.

https://taskandpurpose.com/news/marine-lt-col-stuart-scheller-video/

#1158 Os Trigonum, Aug 27, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2021
    Andre0087 likes this.
  19. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Yep... Nothing like putting more US Military personnel into harm's way.. What tha hell many have died and been injured, so what's a a few more...

T_Man

20. dmoneybangbang

I think they knew it would be a **** show and sought to get it over with sooner than later. While this is obviously poor execution, it would have been worse in the context of the midterms to break the withdrawal agreement and send a surge of troops in order to supplement the non existent Afghan army.

Biden is getting rocked, but I am happy he is sticking with guns on this.

FranchiseBlade likes this.