1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Olympics 2020

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by HTM, Jan 9, 2020.

1. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Sha'Carri thinks this was fake support from Felix. Felix hasn't done anything to anybody ever. Sha'Carri needs to chill out. people starting to hate her for real now.

Rocket River and ico4498 like this.
  2. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

done lost her mind. is she playing the social media thing too much or just planning career suicide?

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Yep
    Yep

She is squandering all the sympathy and support she got

She seems like a Face that wants to be a Heel

Rocket River

B-Bob likes this.
  4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

The Prefontaine run was wind-aided, so those times are bumped up a bit, but still would've been fast regardless, I guess. I don't know what's happened to Bromell. I thought he'd be establishing himself as the top 100m guy, but oh well. Noah Lyles decided to show up in the 200m again. He destroyed that 200m Finals.

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

So, are the mile and 1500 the oldest track records now? 1998-99.
    Both by Hicham El Guerrouj

Jakob Ingerbrigsten won the Prefontaine mile, 4 seconds off the record, after just setting the Olympic 1500 record in Tokyo, at 2 seconds off 1500 WR.

#525 heypartner, Aug 27, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2021
  6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

7. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Sha'carrie is just a spoiled immature hood rat b****. She gets no love from me.

Jontro and Yung-T like this.
  8. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Giving praise to my former Judo Student Ben Goodrich who took the silver medal at the Paralympics. Very proud to see him succeed at this level and glad he got to pursue his dreams. I remember about 6 years ago giving him a ride home from Judo practice and encouraging him to move to Colorado Springs to train full time in Judo. I knew he had the talent then and he needed to get to that next level.
    https://www.teamusa.org/News/2021/A...edalist-Ben-Goodrich-Claims-Judo-Silver-Medal

FROM PE CLASS TO PARALYMPIC MEDALIST, BEN GOODRICH CLAIMS JUDO SILVER MEDAL
    By Bob Reinert | Aug. 29, 2021, 9:17 a.m. (ET)

When is a loss really a win? When the defeat comes in a gold-medal match at the Paralympic Games, of course.

That’s exactly what happened for Ben Goodrich of the U.S., who took home a silver medal Sunday despite dropping the finale of the men’s 100-kilogram judo competition to Christopher Skelley of Great Britain by waza-ari in four minutes at Nippon Budokan.

“I'm happy with the result compared to my first entrance to the Paralympics in 2016. Second is a whole lot of improvement from ninth,” said Goodrich, a native of St. Paul, Minnesota. “Hopefully, if I'm around again in Paris (2024), we can improve on that and get some gold coming our way.

“I came here to win a gold, but I won a silver, so I'm totally happy with the silver medal.”

The 28-year-old Goodrich said the silver was bittersweet as it came against a competitor he knows quite well. Skelley, who was third at the 2018 world championships, was the European champion in 2017.

Goodrich, on the other hand, didn’t begin judo until 2011, when he was introduced to the sport in a physical education elective course at the University of Minnesota. The former high school wrestler was a natural and was starting to clim the ranks two years later.

“I've beaten Skelley before,” said Goodrich, who now works for the city of Colorado Springs, Colorado, as a sales tax technician while training full time. “He’s a tough match. He's a good guy. We brawl a lot.

“It was a hard match, but it was the shortest one today. It was a hard fight — four minutes. He's got a great technique, but I went out there and did what I could.”

Skelley, also 28 years old, was equally complimentary of Goodrich.

“I’m pretty relieved because it was an awful fight,” Skelley said. “It was just a dogged, horrible fight. Ben Goodrich is a fantastic athlete, and he pushed me all the way.”

Goodrich had earned his spot in the gold-medal match with a waza-ari win over Anatolii Shevchenko of the Russian Paralympic Committee in the quarterfinals and a victory by ippon against Antonio Tenorio da Silva of Brazil in the semifinals.

“I know hundreds and thousands of people here and back in the U.S. are super happy for me,” said Goodrich, “and in Sweden, of course.”

That’s because Goodrich is engaged to fellow judoka Nicolina Pernheim of Sweden.

“This is definitely a shared medal,” Goodrich said. “I would have loved to see Nicolina get on the podium, as well, but I'm very happy I'm able to bring a medal home."

“I was in Sweden for most of the year this year, training with them at their club in Gothenburg.”

Also on Sunday, Katie Davis of Sacramento, California, of the U.S. dropped a pair of matches by ippon in the women’s +70 kg. competition. She lost to eventual bronze medalist Carolina Costa of Italy in the quarterfinals and then to Mongolia’s Altantsetseg Nyamaa in the repechage.

American Maria Liana Mutia of Raleigh, North Carolina, lost Saturday by ippon to Hiroko Kudo of Japan in the women’s 63 kg. elimination round of 16. On Friday, Denver native Robert Tanaka dropped his match against Viktor Rudenko of the Russian Paralympic Committee by ippon in the men’s 66 kg. elimination round of 16.

9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

100 meter world championship...

10. Buck Turgidson

Apparently the US has a couple of good (looking) pole vaulters too.

Slyonebluejay likes this.
  11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I watched that yesterday and it was awesome! The semis leading up to those finals helped build the suspense, too, but I thought nobody would be close to Kerley the way he ran through the tape in the 9.7's looking bored in the semi's. lol. I actually thought the Finals would be faster than what it ended up being. That US men's 4x100 team may end up being pretty damn good assuming they can do hand-offs.

12. KingCheetah

I thought he might break the US record and definitely put up another pb, but he looked a little tight early and just powered through.

13. KingCheetah

This is some exciting stuff.

DreamShook and OkayAyeReloaded like this.
  14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Man, you should've just created another thread. These track and field championships have been pretty incredible. The men fail us again... thanks to the hand-offs... again... lol. It's like I didn't predict that. :D The women winning was incredible. I didn't think there was any way the Jamaican team would lose that race. Like .000001% chance. Unreal. At the end of the race Terry was getting reeled in by Jackson, but thankfully the race wasn't another 1-2 meters longer. lol. What a win.

But my 2 greatest WOW moments in the championships were Noah Lyles in the 200m wrecking the competition and possibly the Usain Bolt moment in the women's event : Sydney Mclaughlin running a sub-51-second 400m hurdles and being the first woman to do so. Last year she became the first to do it sub-52-second. She is absolutely nuts on the track. To put her result in the 400m in perspective, she would've placed 7th in the STRAIGHT 400m with that time. I need her to switch to the 400m and destroy those times. lol.

#534 Dr of Dunk, Jul 24, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2022
  15. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Noah doing some great things. Am I the only one who thinks he's laying it on thick with the personality? It feels contrived. He wants to be that electric Usian Bolt guy and it's not working, IMO. I Cringe every time he runs.

16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yeah, but he's been that way, so it's not new. I guess that's just him. So you're going to either love him or hate him. Hell, it used to annoy me when Bolt did it, too. lol. The worst was Sha'Carri Richardson, but she's been a no-show for a while now.

I was kind of disappointed the Knighton/Lyles matchup didn't come down to the wire, but if there's a possible Usain Bolt in the making, it could be Knighton. The kid's been running ridiculous times as a 19 year old and he's been doing it since he was 17-18.

DreamShook likes this.
  17. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Feels like I see this girl Prandini everywhere! it feels like she has been running for18 years. You always see those potential stars come and go and right there in the back is always Jenna freaking Prandini, lol

[​IMG]

18. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I like personality and bravado in track A LOT I just want it to be real. If you have a stick-in-the mud personality just rock with that. I loved Usain Bolt. That kind of personality and talent is once in a generation. He retired and left a HUGE hole in track.

I was really hoping Sha'Carri was going to be something. There is nothing like and assh*le with talent. it's fun to watch, IMO

I thought Knighton was going to do something. I wanted him to win against Noah. Knighton's face every time he runs against Noah and loses is so hilarious. Knighton looks so annoyed and disgusted with Noah all the time, lmao. I love a good rivalry.

19. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

reported.

20. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Lol. No kidding. She's almost 30 now. Prandini is awesome and would've been a great ambassador for the sport, but as fast as she is, the Jamaican women and some of the US women are probably on another tier. Abby Steiner has the weirdest running form, but is also a tier above. She's probably the US's best in the 200m (along with a healthy Gabby Thomas).

DreamShook likes this.