1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Did Rockets Try to Get Nerlens Noel?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MettaWorldPete, Aug 25, 2021.

1. MettaWorldPete

2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Maybe. Maybe it was just due diligence. We sure as hell would never have given him a contract like he just got from the Knicks.

3. VickMackey

VickMackey Member

Didn’t he smear dookie and feces all over a rental property? We need a guy like that. Every championship team has one. The wildcard

burlesk, Victorious, RudyTBag and 7 others like this.
  4. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

The argument that he's entitled to the amount he turned down from the Mavs seems meritless IMO. But, if it's true Paul wasn't returning calls from interested teams, that's a pretty massive breach of fiduciary duty.

5. Jontro

Jontro Member

this is huge

DeBeards and TWS1986 like this.
  6. MettaWorldPete

Spot on.

sirjesse, Houston77 and napalm06 like this.
  7. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

That was Robert Swift...unless there's another NBA player that has a penchant for poop art.

burlesk and MettaWorldPete like this.
  8. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I think the $58M is just a way to get the lawsuit off the ground. If what he's claiming is true (and everything I've seen of Klutch/Rich Paul leads me to believe it is), then he needed a big enough number to get their attention and get them to court. I'm assuming we'll see a settlement come out of this ultimately.

9. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Those were my first thoughts. He got "bad" advice and gambled. But ultimately, he decided to turn down that contract and play for a better one as UFA. Just like Boogie and Schroeder. It's a gamble to bet on yourself. Now, I dunno what kind of contract Paul was telling Noel he could get, but not sure you can sue someone for convincing you you were better than you actually were.

I do believe, however, that the Rockets likely did have interest in him. He would have been a good fit -- similar to Capela.

10. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I am not a sports agent. I am a real estate agent. And I actually see this all the time. There are big teams out there who have dozens and dozens of listings but you can't get anybody on the phone to talk about it. Particularly if it's on the lower end of their listing portfolio.

Seems believable to me in that regard.

11. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

Suing Paul is basically Suing Lebron James.

He owns Klutch.

12. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Vernon Maxwell, Ron Artest, etc. Every championship team needs someone crazy.

13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

And suing LeBron James is basically suing the NBA.

14. Buck Turgidson

Noel is being sued, TMZ reports, for alleged damage to a home including, among other things, plumbing damage done by fecal matter and Gatorade stains apparently everywhere. Oh, and after receiving a list of charges for the damage, the landlord is alleging Noel left a tombstone in the home with "RIP" on it.

You cannot, under any circumstances, make this stuff up. More from TMZ:

In their lawsuit, the owners of the home list all of the crazy damage they found including after Noel moved out in August 2015: -- "Splashed neon colored sports drinks (such as Gatorade) on the carpets throughout the home." -- $30,000 in other damage to carpets-- Extreme water damage throughout the home -- Clogged toilets filled with cotton balls and feces (In fact, the owners say the plumber who fixed the toilet told them the damage was so bad he told them, "Someone must not like you.") -- Broken elevator (it's a baller house) -- $4,000 in damage to the stove -- damage to the fridge -- damage to the blinds -- damage to dishwasher -- torn window screens The owners say they also found weed and roaches from joints in the home -- including pieces of mar1juana in the master bathroom drawers.

Now here's the scary part ...The owners say they demanded $42,000 to repair the damage ... but the DAY AFTER they sent the demand, a TOMBSTONE with the words "RIP" mysteriously appeared on the front steps of the property. The owners believe it was Noel's doing and are considering it a death threat. They're now suing Noel for all sorts of reasons -- including assault (because they believe harm is imminent) and want more than $75,000 for their troubles.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/...f-doing-really-gross-things-to-a-rental-home/

sirjesse, tycoonchip and VickMackey like this.
  15. TimDuncanDonaut

Bad advice can be debated.

But if a team showed interest in your client, an agent should at least follow up on it or inform the the player the opportunity was present.

By the agent not responding, be it laziness or flexing some power move, is not a good look. Maybe party less with Adele, or hire more junior agents. Klutch sports finally getting exposed.

"Noel allegedly learned from Brett Brown, who was coaching the Philadelphia 76ers at the time, that the 76ers front office had been trying to contact Paul to discuss a potential deal and that Paul refused to respond. This was purportedly the case with other team representatives who were reaching out as well.

Eventually, Noel says that he contemplated terminating his representation relationship with Klutch Sports; however, he was persuaded by Lucas Newton of the company that they were working on a 3-year deal with the Thunder that should compensate Noel to the tune of $7 million to $10 million annually. Thus, Noel decided to stay in place with his agency of record.

Then, free agency hit and the first day was quiet. Noel says that he later learned that representatives from the Houston Rockets and Los Angeles Clippers wanted to discuss opportunities with Paul, but that they could not make contact. Leon Rose (who was formerly an agent at Creative Artists Agency but then the President of the New York Knicks) reached out about a deal and Noel ultimately signed a 1-year contract for $5 million.
    "

16. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

And suing the NBA is basically suing America (and China).

waytookrzy079 and Easy like this.
  17. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

That’s all it is. If he gets half of what he’s suing for then he would’ve made back the deal he rejects from the Mavs.

MettaWorldPete likes this.
  18. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

Why is anyone surprised that a person with a high school education has screwed up massively when it comes to dealing with complex contracts and negotiations? It is not like he earned his way to this role, Lebron and Rich really think they know more than anyone around them. This could be the end of Klutch Sports. They changed the rule for them so you don't need a 4 year degree to become an agent, which in my opinion may still not be enough to run an agency.

Highlyrated likes this.
  19. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

Rodman, Portis, Barnes, the entire pistons roster, the entire pistons roster again

20. MettaWorldPete

I hear what you're saying, but in this instance it seems, if the allegations are true, that it was more a matter of simply not giving a **** then not having the necessary knowledge and skills.

34to11 and D-rock like this.