1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Rockets have possibly the WORST practice facility in the league.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, Sep 16, 2018.

1. Salvy

Salvy Member

Nah, Tilman has made mistakes but nothing that makes him as bad as you and a $hit ton of other haters here make it seem. Tilman has done a great job considering we lost nearly every player last year. One year later and we have a young exciting core with potentially a super star in the making maybe two..... Stay bitter about how Tilman hurt your feelings....

2. DonatelloLimestone

Its just the budget man. I hope the guys fixes it. To me I'm hoping the best case is sarver. Sarver was cheap, selling first rounders for money...terrible reptuation with players and agents. But irgonically he fixed his image and results by paying literally for the players we didn't want. The guy you guys think is trash, they paid for ariza. And the main point of the ariza signing is to keep his contract open so that we have options, orvs weare in contention and we have no options...you guys are choosing no options? why bc you think the team can't win bc it proved it can't right? Its almost as if Mavs fans gave up on dirk his mvp year bc he choked and lost in the first round as a no 1 seed. Its almost as if bucks fans gave up on giannis his mvp year as 1 seed bc they lost 1-4 in the semis, and then they still went for another guy we say is done in pj tucker and started him and won.

Ariza turned into kelly oubre, kelly/rubio turned into chris paul, who Tilman leaked is the worst contract in business or sports...once again bro, how many owners you see talking so much **** about their players publicly? lying about coaches publicly? Lying about our obvious transactions to fans so publicly? So he doesnt' really helphimself? Its an odd ting

do i think hes the only reaosn? of coures not, its a sport and Harden and morey and MDA and the guys all have major blame...but a lot of our issues were us literally cutting cust so blantantly that made us a laughing stock of the league

"This refusal to spend money became farcical once Alexander sold the team to Tilman Fertitta in 2017. Fertitta spent so much money ($2.2 billion) to purchase the Rockets that he may not have had the liquidity to go into the red to build a title contender. Houston was a laughingstock around the league for the amount of juggling it had to do to stay under the tax. The best example came at the trade deadline last season, when Morey used a future first-round pick to shed the salaries of Brandon Knight and Marquese Chriss. There was no basketball reason for the move. It was just done to cut costs. It’s not that Knight and Chriss would have helped the Rockets. But there were certainly a lot of better things that Morey could have used that pick for."

And now we are watching the Spurs nd bucks, small market teams build 100 milliosn in facilities...thats human nature, that will draw talent, raise the professionalism, in players and staff just like it would for any business, but you guys out hrere really talking about like its about tilman as a person or him hurting feelings...no one got in this gig to focus on him, but hte dude who plastered himself more prominently than our players(how many owners do that??) continued to try to be the face of the team while lying.

Like i said, been here before tilman, les, and I've been goign to actual games from way before. I want whats best for hte rockets, I'm rooting for our boys on the court....not the suits at landrys and especialyl whne the rest of the league is rising and we promised we'd do the same again and he isn't and to you its 'unloyal' or something to call it out, is it un loyal to call out harden to play some F'n Defense? Nah, but tilman is off limits, the guy who literlly sets the budget and directs what the management can do or is confined to

and once again, read my post. Love our young team, love that we have a direction.Stone has impressed, I'll give it where its due and tilman upgraded nicely with stone. it ain't that serious, and afrankly nothing i say are not facts...I talk abot transactions and actual quotes...you just kind of keep going into some twitter like 'obsessed' 'in your feelings' 'rent free' basically no actual content and people could say the same about harden and people on here...but its a message board, we discuss whats happening with the team, and if you're ignoring what happened in 3 years with our budeget and being lied to about it, then tilman probalby might sell you a bridge too.
    GoRockets..

IvanLCPM, MettaWorldPete and Jontro like this.
  3. Salvy

Salvy Member

Name one single player Tilman could have spent money on and did not that would have pushed The Rockets over the edge... Just one....

4. DonatelloLimestone

Thats the thing...when you are one damn game from the finals WITH a major injury, you run it back at least

And heres your decisions, whether you like ariza or not, Either we have 15 million to spend and play for talent, wait at the trade deadline, basically we have our stars and at least take a swing...or we just give up and have a minimum and basically no flexiblity

its A or B. Simple as that, and that cost a 1 time fee of 15 million, no cost for the future, to at least give yourself opportunities and cap flexiblity in nba economics

And when Mavs lost in thefirst roudn a 1 seed with mvp Nowitkzie...the city stoodbehind him, they didn't say hes soft and we need to not spend on pieces around him..they knew great players are few and far between...they kept swining...they NEVER had a guarantee, they were underdogs against Miami...but they rocked with him, made history and came through. They gave him his chance.

When Bucks, as a 1 seed, in Gianni's MVP year LAST year lost 1-4, he choked, couldn't score or hit free throws...the fanbase didn't say hes hopeless, don't spend on him....they went and dropped 150/300 million on two 30 year olds that no one considers 1A stars and they took a shot at a guy that everyone on this board say was trash bc he has 0 points and paid a first rounder for him, rather than for savings....played him 30 minutes and like ariza, it wasn't the stats, but it was something and htey got their chip

So basketball is no guarantees, but when you're that close and very few superstars can put a team to the cconference finals and then the margins of victor ar esmall. ....Likewise with Raptors, Kwahi didn't guarantee them a chip..they styill paid 50 million for an aging Marc Gasol, it was literally One bounce of a difference and they made history

Or cavs, who lost 2 years straight to a warriors team that was now 73-9 and better than ever, you can go see what kind of underdogs they were let alone down 1-3. They still are spending on klove bc they simply didn't have leverage, they overpaid for tristan, they over paid for JR...they just took a shot, history is made

So when you are that close, you guys chose nah..I'd rather take the minimum and save our owner money, over rocking with teu guys who just were tthe no 1 seed and at the conference finals with one game from the win? Really?

So https://spacecityscoop.com/2020/07/01/chris-paul-trevor-ariza-costly-houston-rockets/
    Chris Paul says Ariza was a factor...what does he know right?

BUT EVEN if you think hes trash which I'm fine with teh change, youre oprtion is have 15 millino to play with in this billion business, or just save the moeny and don't take a shot

Suns took a shot, we didn't. They turned hte expiring ariza to kelly oubre. we took minimums AND traded those minimums while in rotation. Non headlining moves, but you can go see in history what a difference role players and depths make in title eams. Then they turned Kelly oubre and rubio into Chris paul, another guy tilman said and BRAGGED on a radio show he traded and pushed the trade through despite 'basketabll ops' go find me other owners who brag abotu it, go find me other owners who talk like that hurt our culture.

So its understanding economics...the thing you're rooting for, only minimums is great if you're working for landrys...but thats the only person it benefits, for us we dind't take a shot and stick wit hit like the other guys up there and i don't see their fan bases crying about their owners being unfairly victimized or what not, its an odd hill to die on that i've really only seen by about 3/4 "woke" dudes here.

This doesnt even accountfor thelying to our fans boldface....

and then now we are watching spurs small market teams almost the rest of the nba build better facilities and tilman himself said our facility wasn't good enough to compete in 2017! from his own mouth, but once again you guys are just raising the company line. All it will do is for fans of the actualy basketball team is lose and attract less talent for us. And thats why i see it as they aren't rooting for the rockets, if you are talking actual basketbal lteam, but for Landrys bc the finances are the ONLY thing that benefits, and a GREAT clutch city franchise now is lowering its rep and wee've got a few shills here trying to push teh narrative that its good for us...I'm assuming you don't have season seats. tilman has raised the price each year of his ownership while giving us a worse product.

MettaWorldPete and DatRocketFan like this.
  5. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Waste of time posting tilman defenders r so far up his ass, they r a lost cause. Thinking everyone is hating on the owner cause of random reasons when time and time again we have seen tilman b a cheap ass.

6. DonatelloLimestone

Yea, you're right its a lost cost if you actually post transactions, even literal quotes from the guy himself they won't ever break their odd blind loyalty and dong gymnastics to change the goal post to defend their dear leader, guy who probably lies to their face and laughs about how easy they are, but lets face it its not the only time you see this kind of thing.

MettaWorldPete likes this.
  7. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Small market Tilman. Can we give him a Las Vegas franchise so that he can be where he belongs?

8. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Let’s go back to the Westside Tennis Center lol

9. roslolian

roslolian Member

I dont really wanna hijack every thread with your novel long replies that go all over the place. Pelicans, Cp3 etc arent related or are even on topic at all to Tillman's stadium. Why do you feel the need to post articles of events of a different owner and different people? You dont really read other people's posts either but post all this crap every single time.

10. roslolian

roslolian Member

Says who? 2 wins are worth 100M? Nah that aint worth it to me. Practice isnt expensive, a brand new stadium is expensive. Not sure if you realized it, but the Rox had a much better record than 26/30 teams in the league prior to last year. The Rox had that same stadium when they got the 1st seed, so how does that fit your practice facility paradigm?

You are right its about not being a moron. I dont wanna mindlessly complain and circle jerk how some other people choose to spend their money. I dont wanna complain without clear picture how it helps or hurts the team. At the end of the day I dont want to be fake angry about everything, I want my anger to be justified and not just because Tillman isnt spending every dollar he has on the Rockets.

It isnt clear to me how spending 100M on a new practice hall hurts the team as the Rox were generally the best non GSW team even with the so called "crappy" practice facility in the past. You dont need lot of **** to practice bball, a ring and a hoop is all you need and the Rox have more than that, they have NBA standard court and general facilities that most teams have. Do you even know what are in these facilities that the 26 other teams have that the Rox dont? Why dont you itemize those items and lets see if they are necessary to help the team or not? If you dont even know what is missing how can you even get angry?

Maybe you can get angry at a drop of a hat without understanding what is going on but thats not me. Life is too short to get angry without any valid reason other than a billionaire isnt spending his money the way you want him to.

hakeem94 likes this.
  11. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

i dont care about no training facility... better spend money hiring shooting coaches for every player....if nwaba dont learn to shoot 3s this year we are seeing no playoffs games in toybox...not even the playin ones

Invisible Fan likes this.
  12. DonatelloLimestone

I hear you.

but they are all related? why? because you do get they are our competitors. Not just on the court, but as a franchis to draw talent, staff...all of it. most people in this league are elite at their job and have options directly from the other teams, we are competing against them

The suns just opened a brand new practice facility, so did indiana, detroit, spurs...these are small market teams pouring in 100 millions of dollars. And their owners are all successful cut throat businessmen too, so now thats becoming the league par.

so @Stephen_A , you also say wheres the proof?

"
    “We do not have a proper training facility with what you need today to be competitive,” Fertitta said. “We only have a one-court practice facility. When there’s a concert or another event going on, they can’t use the other (arena) court. So, you’re down to this one tight court that you can’t even stand next to the wall. It’s bad.

“I’ve already been to other facilities and have seen they have better facilities.

Thats Tilman Fertita telling you in 2017 four years ago that we have bad facilities that aren't competitive. since then many small market teams have gotten expensive ones. PLAyers and staff are going to get offers and the work enviroonment and culture matters...as exemplified by blake griffin desribing two ownership differences between sterling and Balmer....Guess whose side you are closer to, sterling. Imagine clippers fans all saying can you prove this is worth for sterling, when all the other teams are doing it and we are competing with them to draw talent and staff...we are just falling behind in details, stature, culture ,and as an organizatiotn and for the life of me i can't understand why fans of the houston rockets are saying itst ok if these things hurt our rep or we end up being the cheapest team in the league, its not worth it for our beloved owner? Its pure and utter amusement to see the 3/4 guys here who decided to die on that hill.
    c

Jayzers_100 and MettaWorldPete like this.
  13. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I care more about this than lockers not having a flatscreen panel that strokes each player's egos while measuring their BMI in a building I'll never step foot in.

Some people don't know how to choose their battles.

hakeem94 likes this.
  14. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I can see Green if he pans out to be a superstar not want to stay here after his rookie contract due to how crappy the Toyota Center is in terms of atmosphere.

It isn't just the crappy lower bowl WNBA level attendence but something about the lighting and mood of the arena is just plain Jane boring and dull.

I really do hate the Toyota Center in terms of a design/asthetics point of view.

MettaWorldPete, hakeem94 and Entropy like this.
  15. Entropy

Entropy Member

This.

MettaWorldPete and fchowd0311 like this.
  16. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Except the facilities were made in the Les area
    @Jontro
    we can move the practice facilities to the downtown aquarium

snowconeman22 and REEKO_HTOWN like this.
  17. tinman

Supporting Member

The city of Houston tax payers paid for Toyota Center cause Les was cheap

@J.R.

hakeem94 likes this.
  18. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Well I'm assuming nice facilities for the players has some influence in the player's decision to stay or sign else where. Small things here and there add up.

So if you want a roster full of people who want to be here, then ya those small luxuries for the players matter.

Entropy and MettaWorldPete like this.
  19. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

The only numbers Green is going to care about after his rookie deal is the numbers on the extension. If it's a max deal he's not going anywhere.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  20. tinman

Supporting Member

Actually Toyota Center was built
    By Jeff and @Clutch
    Because Les wanted the Kentucky Fried Chicken Center

Never forget

hakeem94 and fchowd0311 like this.