1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Lol 4. But still.

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

That’s a lie.

3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I'll be in Houston this coming weekend attending the funeral of my perfectly healthy, unvaccinated friend with no underlying conditions who died 2 weeks after he was diagnosed with COVID.

Deckard and Ottomaton like this.
  4. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Not wanting to get vaccinated is a well know health issue . Healthy people don't refuse well known treatments.

It is truly bizarre. I can't argue with these people anymore. Clearly their brain is infected with toxoplasmosis. Again, not healthy.

Invisible Fan, cheke64 and BMoney like this.
  5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

He had his reason and since I didn't grow up in his shoes I couldn't offer any real input. His brother tried to get him to change his mind to no avail.

Deckard and DaDakota like this.
  6. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

refreshing perspective. my condolences on your loss.

bobrek likes this.
  7. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Insane jump in cases for Harris county, Covid spread is now worse in Houston then ever before.

The curve on our cases is almost straight vertical, I think we doubled our case rate within the last 2 weeks. The nasty wave from Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Florida is hitting east Texas

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Already 4 cases at the Circle C elementary school near us.

DD

9. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Sorry for your loss. I have two healthy friends in the hospital with it as well…both unvaccinated.

bobrek likes this.
  10. Sajan

Sajan Member

Phil Valentine, a radio host who scoffed at Covid, then urged his followers to get vaccinated, dies.

Mr. Valentine scoffed at the need for vaccines, writing on his blog that his chances of dying from the virus, should he become infected, were “way less than one percent.”

He announced his Covid-19 diagnosis on July 11 and pledged to return to his show within a day or two.

“Unfortunately for the haters out there, it looks like I’m going to make it,” he wrote. “Interesting experience. I’ll have to fill you in when I come back on the air. I’m hoping that will be tomorrow, but I may take a day off just as a precaution.”

“Phil would like for his listeners to know that while he has never been an ‘anti-vaxer’ he regrets not being more vehemently ‘pro-vaccine,’ and looks forward to being able to more vigorously advocate that position as soon as he is back on the air, which we all hope will be soon,” the station said.

11. thejav

thejav Member

[​IMG]

Buck Turgidson and Andre0087 like this.
  12. GOOGOOMECHUCK

GOOGOOMECHUCK Member

I need that booster bois.

13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

In case any of you are trying to steal from cattle, stay safe :

Deckard likes this.
  14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

[​IMG]

15. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

On the MMA forum I get on there are a ton of anti vax muh freedom types but I can only recall one guy that was pushing the veterinary ivermectin. The guy's screen name was RonPaulLooneyTard lol

16. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Our beloved governor Abbott thought covid was such a “meh” virus he decided to get the booster super early then when he still got covid immediately got put on some other super experiment drugs just in case. Nothing to be concerned about I guess….

17. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Oh and it looks like Florida has taken a page out of China's notebook and decided to quit reporting the large majority of covid deaths lol

NOTHING TO SEE HERE! MOVE ALONG!

Andre0087 likes this.
  18. CCorn

CCorn Member

My parents were taking HCQ when the former president was pushing it. Wouldn't shock me if they loaded up on animal pharmaceuticals. If someone on NewsMax or OAN recommended it they likely did,

19. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Today's Texas Medical Center data. Pay close attention- this is getting out of control:

Key data trends::

• The R(t) for the Greater Houston Area was 1.48. Any number above 1.0 indicates the virus continues to spread in our community.
    • Yesterday, 9,217 people tested positive for COVID-19 in the Greater Houston Area which continues the growth trend we’ve been experiencing in Houston since early July. This is the highest recorded number of daily new cases since the start of the pandemic.
    • Last week, on average, there were 4,892 new cases/day, which is the highest weekly average seen to date.
    • Yesterday, TMC admitted 365 new COVID-19 patients in TMC hospital institutions.

• Last week, on average, TMC admitted 390 new patients/day, which is the highest weekly average recorded at TMC since the start of the pandemic
    • Within the TMC, there are currently 2,650 COVID-19 positive patients in hospital (ICU and Med/Surg combined), which is the second highest day recorded during the pandemic.

• The last 7 days have seen the highest numbers ever of COVID-19 positive patients at TMC hospitals.
    • 2,137,786 doses have been administered by TMC institutions. Over the last week, an average of 2,203 doses per day have been administered

• 1,140,856 people have been fully vaccinated
    I've taken a few screenshots of the below documents:

upload_2021-8-23_7-34-28.png

upload_2021-8-23_7-34-57.png

Attached Files:

Ziggy, Deckard and ThatBoyNick like this.
  20. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

'A recipe for disaster': Texas Medical Center president says 18% of new COVID cases are kids
    [​IMG]

William "Bill" McKeon, president and CEO of Texas Medical Center, poses for a photograph inside his office on Thursday, Aug. 19, 2021, in Houston.

In Texas, the delta-fueled surge has already surpassed all previous COVID peaks and is still growing fast. What does that mean for Houston? For our hospitals and the people who work in them? And for Texas kids as school reopens?

We’re talking this week with Bill McKeon, president and CEO of the Texas Medical Center.

Could we start with an overview of what is going on now with COVID-19? What are you seeing at the Texas Medical Center?

What we’re seeing, sadly, is more of the same, only with more intense numbers. The number of people who are testing positive in our community continues to escalate month over month. The test positivity rate is now at 15.1 percent.

But probably the most accurate reflection is our hospitalizations. We just reached an all-time high: 421 people were admitted to our hospitals for COVID yesterday.

Step back for a second and look at that relative to the entire pandemic. Back in June and July, we had two weeks where the average number of hospital admissions was over 300. That was in the second wave.

Fast forward to wave three: We had four weeks that averaged over 300.

Now we are into our second week with no slowing the pace. At 421 today, we are seeing the highest peak of all of the pandemic going back 18 months now.

It’s largely a pandemic of the unwilling — people unwilling to be vaccinated. Now 44% of Houstonians are unvaccinated. Those are the vast majority of the people that are showing up in our emergency rooms and and in our ICUs. They’re very sick.

Many people thought that they were young, and therefore their immune system would be strong enough to protect them. That is not the case with this deadly delta variant, which is three times more transmissible than the earlier alpha variant.

Our hospitals’ staffs are 18 months into this. They’re exhausted.

And we have far fewer nurses than we used to have. They’re being recruited to other states, like Florida, that are even worse off than Texas.

The saddest fact is, 18 percent of all the new cases so far in August are children.

With the alpha variant, everyone thought, “OK, it’s 65 and older.” So we went after the nursing homes, and we did a brilliant job at protecting the elderly population and those who are immunocompromised.

But now, that vulnerable population is children under 12, who are not able to be vaccinated. We are predicting a mess in our schools. With nearly 20 percent of new cases being children, now we’re going to huddle them together in schools? Some may have masks. Some may not. It’s a recipe for disaster.

How is the Texas Medical Center’s capacity holding up?

When we describe our capacity, we focus on ICUs because that’s usually the pinch point for any hospital around the country. We are blessed here that, because of our great institutions, we attract patients from all around the world, so we have much greater capacity than most cities would have. The Texas Medical Center is the largest “medical city” in the world. We have plentiful beds.

We describe our surge capacity in three phases. Phase 1 — normal capacity — is 1,330 ICU beds. Phase 2 is an additional 373. At this point in time, with Phase 2 activated, we’re at 84 percent capacity. And in Phase 3, we could even expand to an additional 504 beds.

But if you ask all the hospitals around in the medical center, the number of beds is not our pinch point. It’s actually the number of nurses that have to have the right expertise — it’s largely around respiratory therapy. In the ICU, those COVID patients are typically inverted. Some are on respirators. The sickest of the sick will be on an ECMO. It takes real training for technicians, nurses and doctors to manage respiratory therapy.

It’s been hard on our staffs. We’re 18 months into the pandemic now, and there’s PTSD here. These are people who are holding the hands of the people who die — more than 6,000 people have died from this at the Texas Medical Center, alone without their family.

Many of our health care workers’ hearts are broken. Because we have the vaccines available, we could have avoided this devastation of our hospitals.

The COVID hospitalizations also impact people that have cancer and heart disease and other things that need to be treated. They’re equally as deserving of treatment as COVID patients. But we’re delaying many of their procedures because of this large onslaught of people who could have prevented the vast majority of this with two shots in the arm.

[​IMG]