1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My worst fear is that Jalen Green will be more distracted by life outside of basketball

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LjGarci, Aug 21, 2021.

1. LjGarci

LjGarci Member

Maybe it is too early for this discussion. I know that he is still very young and all that, is why you have to have the right veterans to be present in the process of such a young team, we cannot go too young. What do you think?

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

3. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is why you trash Danuel House off this roster, and grab The Mayor on a minimum deal.

4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

My worst fear is nuclear war

5. Rox_fan_here

Rox_fan_here Contributing Member

Yeah this has been a worry of mine as well. I try to convince myself that his fire and desire to be the best will negate most of the temptations that come with fame at such a young age as he realizes those things ultimately can derail his life goal. Ultimately, that and injury are the only two things I can see stopping him from being an all-time great.

Crashlanded19 and saleem like this.
  6. vator

vator Contributing Member

Jalen Green has already been living the life of a star since he was like a junior in high school. Maybe even before that. He had a million followers on Instagram long before he even graduated from high school. He was 18 years old making over half a million dollars in the G Leauge. He’s been distracted by plenty of other things off the court by the looks of the sheer amount of videos he has on YouTube prior to even stepping foot on an NBA court.

The one constant is he always comes back to basketball. He loves the game of basketball and everybody that’s ever been around says that he has a unique drive and passion for the game. He is clearly highly driven to be great. It’s ok to have other interest as long as that remains the number one priority.

7. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I’m not too worried about it.

Seems like he is driven by wanting to be the best. Wants to prove he’s the best in his class.

Forgoing college and going to the gleague was a basketball decision also. Could’ve gone to a big college to further his brand…hang out with other college kids.

He decided to be isolated in the nba bubble and join the work force with other pros.

Before the draft I watched a bunch of Jalen Green videos. Not just his highlights…a bunch of off court stuff with interviews on documentaries. Dude seems very chill and laid back. That could change with more success but dude has been in the limelight for years so I’m not sure a bit more notoriety will drastically change him since he’s already used to a lot of the things that come with fame and money.

I think people see a young kid growing up in the social media generation…handsome, flashy game, large following and think he’s chasing the glitz and glam. I think if you take a closer look it’ll ease some of those concerns.

8. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Exactly.

If he hasn’t let him distract him by now I’m not too concerned about it.

9. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

[​IMG]

10. razorback88s

razorback88s Member

I think one of Darryl Morey's more interesting quotes was that it's almost impossible to predict how life-changing money will affect young stars

Tfor3, amaru, HakeemOnlyFan and 7 others like this.
  11. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

[​IMG]

12. Jalen Green OnlyFan

Personally I’m more afraid of getting diagnosed with cancer

hajkov, saleem and don grahamleone like this.
  13. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

My worst fear is that my external hemorrhoid starts flaring up again.

14. vator

vator Contributing Member

I was thinking this too and wasn’t sure how I wanted to word it. One thing I kept coming back to was I don’t really understand everything he does, says, or how he moves, but this is a new generation of kids and they are growing up in the spotlight like never before with the internet and social media. Imagine if there was a camera following a 19 year old Muhammad Ali everywhere or 19 year old Deion Sanders. Jalen is just different. Almost like he has star quality and happens to be an elite basketball player.

He’s handsome, he’s an amazing athlete, he was rich by the time he was 18, and internet famous years before that. Despite all of that, he takes his craft seriously and he works his ass off to get better. Is he flashy, brash, cocky, outspoken, and maybe even overconfident? Probably a yes to all those, but fortunately for us, I believe that he also wants to be the best player in the NBA.

15. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i am the fearless :confused:

16. Reeko

Reeko Member

some of y’all want players to have zero life outside of basketball…

As long as he’s getting better, producing on the basketball court, and not hurting anybody, I give no fcks.

17. rocketseagles07

These kids now a days have been living this life. He's been a celebrity since HS. Similar to Harden, he can manage both. That's the least of my concerns with him to be honest. He loves the grind

i3artow i3aller and LjGarci like this.
  18. VickMackey

VickMackey Member

I wouldn’t worry about that yet, I think he will be fine

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  19. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

None of that stopped Jordan. It's unrealistic to expect anyone, in any profession, to do nothing but their job. That's just not how people function.

majicdonjuan, ElDobleK, Deuce and 5 others like this.
  20. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

And on top of that, this kid has had zero life outside of basketball thus far. I don't know why they're worried about him. Is it because he's a bit flashy? I just don't get it. He has no history of getting into any kind of trouble. The kid has never even been to a concert, much less been on stage with Da Baby. He isn't James Harden (and, btw, James Harden still worked his ass off and improved every single year so I don't actually care how much he hung out in strip clubs or with Da Baby).