1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fade's Fantasy Keeper Baseball 2021 - DRAFT THREAD

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports' started by fadeaway, Mar 6, 2021.

1. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

Maybe we will just randomize it next year. I never thought tanking was ever an issue in previous years, but that would eliminate any incentive for shenanigans.

2. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

I say let @SamCassell tank this week and have a full lineup next week :p

3. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

We should randomize it and eliminate the incentive, then. The old method doesn't make sense and disincentivizes remaining competitive. That's true whether the draft starts in round 1, round 8, or round 15.

4. fadeaway

Maybe you're right. Why do we reward suckitude, anyway? After thinking it over some more, I think I actually have a pretty cool solution. How about:

1) For the four playoff teams, following year draft order is determined the same way -- by reverse total points, lowest to highest for draft slots 5-8.
    2) For the four non-playoff teams, following year draft order is determined in the opposite way -- by total points highest to lowest for draft slots 1-4.

This way, everyone has incentive to remain as productive as possible down the stretch. The top teams are fighting to make playoffs and the bottom teams are trying to accumulate as many points as possible to improve draft position. Under this structure, the bottom teams still get a minor benefit over the top teams, which they would not get under complete randomisation.

FLASH21 likes this.
  5. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Makes sense. Isn’t a solution that I had considered, but it creates the right incentives and seems fair. Very creative!

6. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Trade Alert:

Sucka Free Trading
    Trevor Story
    Willson Contreras
    Ryan McMahon
    Cody Bellinger
    4th and 6th round picks

Bleed Cubby Blue Trading
    Tim Anderson
    Carlos Rodon
    Luis Garcia
    8th and 9th picks

@fadeaway

7. fadeaway

Actually, even better, it looks like there are some sites that allow for a weighted random draft order. You can specify the number of "ping pong" balls. I.e. https://www.fantasydraftlottery.com/

Using this tool within the proposed plan, the best non-playoff team would get the most balls, with other non-playoff teams ranked in order by highest to lowest total points. Then, non-playoff teams reverse ranked lowest to highest total points with defending champion getting the least balls.

This will still give an incentive to finish out a losing season strong, with an additional element of chance to make things a bit more interesting.

FLASH21 likes this.
  8. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I'm willing to bet that this is the same tool that moes uses on our fantasy keeper league.

Good luck bruva! May the best fantasy baseketball team win!!!

9. fadeaway

You have dominated total points all year. It's going to be tough to beat you in the finals, but my team is up for it!

I was hoping Rednation would sneak out the upset victory, but it was not meant to be. :D

RedNation likes this.
  10. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

Good luck to you two. Glad I got to scare @FLASH21 for a little bit at least.

FLASH21 likes this.
  11. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

@fadeaway @RedNation

My hitters (especially my OFs) have really been slumping lately, so that will definitely give you some sort of advantage if it proceeds as is.... I really got lucky that my pitchers picked up the slack for me or else I would have been done for with Red.

Overall, I really feel like we've had the most competitive season in quite some time, it's really been fun to watch everything transpire to whatever the outcome will be within these next two weeks.

Again, Good Luck, you're gonna need it fade! ;)

12. fadeaway

Really, the fat lady sang on this several days ago. I was holding out hope on a Musgrove complete game shutout or something to even things up, but that didn't happen.

Congrats to @FLASH21 on the 2021 baseball championship! Your pitchers dominated all year and definitely outclassed mine over the last 2 weeks. I'd say Max Fried was your Finals MVP. Enjoy your title.