1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

John Wall Buyout thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, May 17, 2021.

1. dragonwill

dragonwill Member

One thing I know for sure is that Wall won’t be able play back to back game anymore.

ramotadab and saleem like this.
  2. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Can we make that Wall and Gordan sit out every other game? Ha, I know it will never happen, but that would preserve their health, give them the ability for greater trade value, and give the youngsters the minutes they need.

ramotadab and hakeem94 like this.
  3. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

It only so many roster spots can only fill up with all those draft picks. There’s only one expiring contract next year in House.

4. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

It should be completely the opposite, the Rockets should play him for 40+ minutes for the first 10 games and hope he will suffer a season ending injury so the insurance will pay most of his salary and also wont need to worry about him handing around in the locker room.

5. D-rock

D-rock Member

John Wall averaged more points than Porter did last season. Wall was also a better defender.

Porter may become better than Wall soon but Wall is not a scrub.

Hippieloser, ramotadab and Jontro like this.
  6. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

That's his best game?... In the games he played Walls high volume ultra low efficiency is the primary reason for many losses. At least with a scrub you limit them to 10 min per game and only 3 or 4 shots. With Wall we just repeatedly let him sink us.

This doesn't even mention his end of game terrible decision making which is just legendary. His last 30 seconds BBIQ is 1/10.

Side Note: Surrounding him with high efficiency players would make Wall serviceable. Green and Woods would help him in this regard. KPJ together with Wall last year was one of our worst pairings and shouldn't happen.

7. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

[​IMG]

hongxingli likes this.
  8. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

so basically no 3?

D-rock likes this.
  9. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

[​IMG]

10. D-rock

D-rock Member

Just like Porter.

But Wall is better at catch and shoot 3's.

And you know very well that I'm not a Wall fan.

But to state that he is the 5th best player on this Rockets team is false.

And we all need to be realistic about how much Silas and FO still love Wall.

#290 D-rock, Aug 15, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2021
    Grizzlyshark likes this.
  11. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

we all thought CP3 was washed and were happy to see him go…

I don’t think Wall has that level of bounce back, but I also think most people are dramatically underestimating him and what his personal leadership can offer the young guys. The Wizards fan base loved him for a reason, and the Rockets FO/Silas love him for a reason.

D-rock, Grizzlyshark and theDude like this.
  12. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

He needs to show that he can play as a pass first guard. He can do this. Taking fewer shots can make him somewhat effective too.

D-rock, cmlmel77 and theDude like this.
  13. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

See, to me, that is problematic. It takes the ball out of Kevin's hands up top, and for what? No matter what happens, it's not going to move the needle as far as playing value back into his albatross of a contract.

D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  14. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

lololol I am not sure if he makes my top 8...
    I think what you confuses is ability with willingness

If he wanted he may be able to be perhaps the best rockets player, but his willingness is debatable and he has bad habits ingrained deep...he has the physical ability but lacks the character.

Westbrook eg also has the ability to be much better player than he actually is, both offensively and defensively, its just that he lacks willingness and discipline to do so...

15. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Who here wants to fess up to being happy to see CP3 (and a boatload of draft assets) go for Russell Westbrick and his 40 mil a year contract?

People should just want good trades. I’m fine keeping or trading John Wall depending on the deal. I was NOT okay trading CP3 for Westbrook but could have lived with a deal where the Rockets moved him and actually got assets back that helped get Harden actual help instead of whatever Russ got us.

John Wall is just a reminder daily of how bad that trade was. Let’s not root for negatively compacting that terrible trade by making another terrible one just because we want Kevin Ported Jr. to get 5 extra minutes a night for the first 20 games before Wall inevitably goes down with an injury. Everyone is going to get plenty of PT this season.

Hippieloser, D-rock and cmlmel77 like this.
  16. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

Exactly. We have two PGs - if either goes down or gets traded we will need to sign another guard or the development of our “receivers” (bigs, wings) will suffer when no one can set them up. Think about how things looked before DJ Augustin last year.

I’d be thrilled to move Wall for a good deal, but he serves a real purpose now.

Gordon and House are the ones more likely to take time from Green, Tate, Garuba.

17. D-rock

D-rock Member

For all of Westbrook's warts, his teams almost always make the playoffs.

Wall, not so much.

But the discussion was about ability, not results.

jch1911 likes this.
  18. xaos

xaos Member

If we do it like last season we will probably rest one and not the other, then vis versa on back to backs. Maximizes their trade value, gives them rest, helps develop younger guys, and helps the tank

19. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

There's no other way, whether one likes it or not.
    Try to move him with a low first round pick and Martin by the February deadline.

20. D-rock

D-rock Member

This was Wall's season prior to injury.

Not a huge fan of the guy, but he's no scrub.