1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

John Wall Buyout thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, May 17, 2021.

1. Jalen Green OnlyFan

I certainly don't think Wall was the best. He was terrible.

I'm just trying to understand his mindset last year and not willing to call him selfish. I don't think any of this came from a selfish mindset. Wall also played a lot of games without Wood.

By all accounts he's been great in the locker room and tried to galvanize the troops after Harden ditched us.

2. JW86

JW86 Member

To John Wall: Bye and (you're) out!

3. D-rock

D-rock Member

His best bud is Boogie Cousins. Boogie is a historically divisive teammate and is poster boy for NBA entitlement.

Their agenda to divide lockerroom against Harden while Harden was still on the team exposes their true colors IMO.

amaru and varughese.arun like this.
  4. Jalen Green OnlyFan

I feel as if it's easy to blame the less productive players for character flaws then it is to blame the good players.

John Wall just isn't that productive anymore. He's already on his contract and is going to see it through - you would too.

Harden was quitting on the team and wall/cousins tried to step up for team morale. Terrible situation to be in and they tried their best - just aren't good.

Wall will step back this year - I believe it.

5. D-rock

D-rock Member

Team morale and Cousins should never be in same sentence. When Boogie is your acknowledged team leader then your team is shet out of luck.

And enough with the violins.

Wall is not some scrub.

He is easily the 3rd or possibly even 2nd best player on the Rockets RIGHT NOW.

His problem is his delusions of grandeur.

He needs to stop thinking of himself as the Franchise Player and just F'ing hoop.

His selfish play gets in the way of team wins, not his "declining" productivity.

Wall actually had an individually PRODUCTIVE season last season.

But the Rockets had its worst season in franchise history.

Context matters.

theDude and kevtse like this.
  6. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

He just doesn't understand how to play winning basketball, maybe the Spurs/Warriors/Knicks will want to take a stab at rebuilding his game if he looks better this upcoming season. He has to see for himself how fast the game has changed in the 2 years he missed. I hope he worked on his shooting and fitness this summer, Silas said he has been working with a physical therapist which is good.

D-rock likes this.
  7. Jalen Green OnlyFan

Wall isn't better than KPJ, Wood, or Green next year. He's 4th best player.

Look at the way Silas talks about wall, the pictures of them hugging, the way stephen jackson talks about wall being a real one who cares about the situation Silas was put in.

Wall's not a cancer at all. He'll fall in line - just tried to be the savior of a terrible situation last year.

8. D-rock

D-rock Member

LOL

Wall is better than Porter right now.

And LMFAO that you believe Green is better than Wall.

This is why I dont dialog with Only Fans, they are F'ing delusional.

Green will be very good one day, maybe even GREAT.

But get a grip, Green has yet to play a second in the NBA yet..

9. Jalen Green OnlyFan

tip jar bet over who’s better player between wall/green after the season concludes?

Id love to contribute to clutchfan and truly believe green will be better than wall next year

10. D-rock

D-rock Member

You are confusing future with now.

Only Fans drive me bananas.

hakeem94 likes this.
  11. Jalen Green OnlyFan

We are only projecting next season correct?

we wouldn’t be able to evaluate who was better next season until it concludes

but sorry for cluttering this thread! We will meet again soon bro.

12. D-rock

D-rock Member

:rolleyes:o_O

13. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I'm sure most would agree that I was one of the biggest defenders of John Walls
    play on the court.

I've discussed it numerous times during the season that I felt Wall struggled with
    his lift during drives. Absorbing contact and putting up a decent attempt.
    That Wall was using last season as a rehab session after missing two
    seasons. His Ast% was good compared to most facilitators in the league.

Having said that, Silas like PnR or sets initiated by pick n roll. Harden who was
    Isolation minded predominantly the two previous seasons had to bite the bullet
    and run a greater amount of PnR. And did it most admirably as he ended up
    very high in NBA percentile in that Play Type. Here was the selfish part of
    John Wall....he waived the screener away more often than not.

Harden would waive the screener away in seasons prior to Silas because he
    didn't want to make the double team on him too easy. Wall was doing the same
    due to lack of finishing stuff and poor lift.

Either Wall needs to run PnR this season or just go home. Rockets don't need Wall teaching
    Jalen Green, Christopher, Porter how to waive off the screener.

14. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I mean Harden straight up didn't want to play with this team. I don't think Wall or Cousins owed Harden respect if he flat out doesn't want to play with them.

hakeem94 likes this.
  15. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Well, one possible (not disagreeing with you, but indicating a potential answer to your question), because he sees the team getting MUCH better in just a year, with young talent, and he might like to be a part of that, and sees it continuing beyond his contract. It's not like they're a bad team going nowhere. They're a bad team going somewhere. ;-). Plus, as you said, not a bad place to showcase his talents.

I think it's the ROCKETS not wanting him there that is the bigger issue. Takes minutes, the ball, and shots out of their young players hands. Which isn't necessarily bad, given that Wall actually is the PG, and hence the distributor. Might even be good for those young players.

Plus, hard to see anybody making that kind of rake as 'spinning their wheels'.

16. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

what does 'better' mean to you?
    1 previous achievements
    2 current ability(and willingness to do what you are capable of)
    3 putting meaningless boxscore numbers
    4 help the team win more games

17. bongman

bongman Member

Hope you don't mind. I took the liberty of finishing your enumeration. :)

18. bmelo

bmelo Member

I dont believe Wall will eat someones minutes or shots. First off he had No one to play with year before. Secondly our squad is either not NBA ready for 82games or old fragile dudes. There will be plenty of games for everyone. You dont want to run anybody to the ground especialy 19yo rookies and expose them to major injuries. We can loose its not a problem next draft is stacked too. Lastly, he will probably get better and be a nice asset in a year

19. VickMackey

VickMackey Member

Nice post

bmelo likes this.
  20. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I hope so. This is really up to Silas. This year will define him to me (of course who cares). He needs to make sure that Wall does not impair KPJ and Green’s development. If he can make sure Wall is a positive in that development then he wins as a coach. If Wall contributes to a few more wins, but obstructs that development then Silas needs to go. Anybody that doesn’t think Wall played selfishly last year wasn’t watching. He had to be called out publicly by Wood before he started to make a little more of an attempt to share the ball.