1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What Happens to John Wall?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Jun 24, 2021.

?

John Wall

1. Traded

139 vote(s)
    50.9%
  2. Stays

134 vote(s)
    49.1%
  1. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member

Bench him and let him sit until he wants to negotiate a buyout

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  2. wlekfjv923n

wlekfjv923n Member

In your mind, what's the "serious assets"? A late first rounder? Is there a price that's worth paying to have all distractions out of the way?

3. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

No more like the Rockets 2022 or 2023 1st with very light protections, 95 million is a lot of money, Wall has a big ego and is a terrible player at this point. He's one of the few guys who have a lower career efficiency than Russell Westbrook, his injuries are major. For a team who has no interest in taking him for anything other than a cap dump, like what OKC is doing left and right, the price would be really high.

The price that's worth paying for us is probably like a top 20 protected pick from the Nets or something, I think it would cost significantly more to move him, so I don't see him going anywhere.

Hopefully, he's not a huge distraction, hopefully, he magically has a bounce-back year and becomes moveable next off-season as an expiring.

Nook and wlekfjv923n like this.
  4. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I posted this in the Random Trades thread kind of on a whim, but it really makes sense the more I think about it.

Wall+KPJ+BKN 1st (+ maybe more) for Ben Simmons

Philadelphia doesn't want him and he doesn't want to be there. Wall and KPJ both fit their desire of a more offensively capable PG for their win-now aspirations. With two more years of Embiid, Wall will be coming off the books right as it's time to resign Embiid and KPJ can take over full time. If Embiid doesn't stick around, they aren't hamstrung with any long term contracts. They could sign two max players or start over.

For the Rockets, they get a very accomplished PG who can be a stabilizing figure while still being young enough to be in the long term plans. They should have enough offense that they won't depend on scoring from him while he does everything else at an elite level. They will still have room for a max player in the 2023 offseason.

This isn't a necessary move for us, and the Rockets shouldn't try to get close to that king's ransom they originally asked for. I'd be fine sitting tight with Wall. But it's worth keeping an eye on if they really become serious about moving him.

5. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Bless you sir. But please noooooooo Ben Simmons.

Corrosion, luckyman76 and Dobbizzle like this.
  6. Landry's Tooth

Wall will be a Clipper for their spare change...

Beverley, Morris, and Kennard get the salaries to line up...

I think throwing in House and a second is enough sweetening... Morris has a bad contract...

From there you look at trades or buyouts for the smaller pieces...

I think Beverley could fit with a lot of contenders...

I'm in no hurry... he can rot on the bench to be an expiring contract at the end of the year...

jch1911 likes this.
  7. Landry's Tooth

I would rather have KPJ on the cheap and not tie up the cap space with Simmons' massive contract.

I also don't think you would rather have Simmons taking usage from Green...

Corrosion, Bo6, jch1911 and 2 others like this.
  8. Grizzlyshark

Grizzlyshark Member

Beverley (1 year), Rondo (1 year), Ibaka (1 year and mayyyy not play next season after back surgery) and Kennard is pretty much dollar to dollar.

I put up a trade where we send Wall out for that, waive Rondo, "waive" Ibaka (let him use our facilities while he recovers?), keep Kennard and trade Bev, House, the GS 2nd and our 2025 2nd to the Cavs for Rubio.

Get our backup point guard. Get more shooting.

Gordon becomes Papa Gordon until he wants out (then we will ultimately have the same issue with Kennard but that's a future - we don't have to pay these for a while - problem).

Edit - this actually works for the Clips too (aside from the $90 price tag), Wall gets Pat and Rondos minutes, Keon and Winslow pick up Kenards and Ibaka in this (likely?) Scenario is a non factor because he won't be playing.

luckyman76 and jch1911 like this.
  9. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Ben Simmons is a negative value contract. He is owed 130M over four years. We just went thru a year (2019-2020) bending over backwards and making excuse after excuse to accommodate a high usage player with a fatal flaw, the same fatal flaw (Westbrook).

Never again. If anyone wants to be able to play for our team, they had better shoot well or have the potential to develop a shot.

luckyman76, jch1911 and theDude like this.
  10. T for 3

T for 3 Member

I wonder if he would agree to sit out until the trade deadline or buyout market? I guess he has to play to have any value whatsoever. A good tank commander is a catch 22. He was great last year as a black hole, but now that he got us what we needed, we are stuck with a black hole.

Bo6 likes this.
  11. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I was never a Westbrook fan, so mentioning him does put a bad taste in my mouth. But, while Simmons doesn't shoot the 3 well, he rarely takes them, unlike Westbrook. And his overall shooting % is far better than Westbrook's, while Westbrook takes nearly twice as many shots during the course of a game. I agree that there are some concerns with Simmons, I'm not sure that Westbrook is a great comparison, but I do get your point.

12. OpportunityCost

Don't want him to infringe on our young core's development.

#152 OpportunityCost, Aug 11, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2021
  13. wlekfjv923n

wlekfjv923n Member

Thanks! Kinda wowed by such thoughtful and smart as usual reply. Is it even an option for Rockets to literally tell him to stay home at all?

BamBam likes this.
  14. VickMackey

VickMackey Member

Glue factory

Baqui99 likes this.
  15. jch1911

jch1911 Member

I think I already said it somewhere in this thread, but could totally see Wall to Clips if they are struggling and need an infusion as season gets going...

Already been mentioned, you could do the deal of Wall for Beverley & Kennard as centerpieces with some other contracts thrown in.

I think the after-effect would require some light lifting...

Re-route Beverley to a playoff team in need of hard-nosed backup PG or buy him out.

Kennard to ORL into a TPE for a 2nd that may never convey; they're rebuilding and could use 3 point shooting off the bench

Ibaka to DAL into TPE for a SRP because DAL needs front court depth - esp. a floor space who can open the middle for Luka (once ibaka healed up)

Instead of paying $90M, TF ends up having to spend less than $15M. Pretty sure he would sign off on that.

The hard part will be getting Jerry West to pull the trigger (need Boogie in his ear everyday about Wall could bring to the team-

luckyman76 likes this.
  16. J.R.

J.R. Member

Will Wall be traded? Why is it so hard to move him and Westbrook had a similar contract? — LaFayette B.

Kelly Iko: John Wall is another hot-topic name on Rockets fans’ lips, but as with Danuel House, I don’t see the Rockets being pressed to trade him right now. With nearly $90 million remaining on his contract and the current timeline of the franchise, there certainly is logic to a trade. But as exciting as Jalen Green, Josh Christopher, Kevin Porter Jr. and the young talent are, they still need leadership and guidance.

Wall is extremely close to Stephen Silas, and there is a good amount of trust there. Whatever development arc Porter and Green take (in terms of Houston’s potential future backcourt), Wall is going to play a big part in that. You can’t just throw these young players into the fire and hope they figure things out. Wall, like Eric Gordon, will be there to help them become professionals. Building habits. Learning the offense. Becoming better playmakers. Those are all extremely important. And it’s not like Wall played horribly last season, either. From where he came from purely injury-wise, averaging 20 points and seven assists is commendable. That man was in some excruciating pain for two years.

You mentioned Westbrook being dealt this offseason, and yes, that was quite the package required to get it done …

For weeks if not months, there were iterations of Wall trades all over NBA Twitter, but the most prominent one involved Wall going to the Clippers. For kicks, Wall liked the article, but I’ve been told before that Wall reads a TON. When he likes articles/tweets, it’s typically to go back and read them at a later time.

Anyway, that hypothetical move involved the contracts of Rajon Rondo, Luke Kennard and Patrick Beverley. Two of those names are no longer in Los Angeles, having been dealt Sunday evening for Eric Bledsoe. Since the Clippers are probably out of the Wall “sweepstakes,” that doesn’t leave a whole lot of teams left.

The math works for a team like Philly having big contracts like Ben Simmons and Tobias Harris — and the thought of a young playmaking forward in Simmons paired with Green/Porter is quite interesting — but I’m not sure if Wall is the name they’re looking for to pair with a Joel Embiid. The Knicks were thought to be one such destination, but it seems like they have solved their point guard problem. The Heat did, too. Maybe you can throw something together if you’re the Dallas Mavericks and haven’t made the big splash yet this offseason, but again, those are all extreme long shots. Ask me this question again in 12 months. Then, there’s a bigger sense of urgency with the summer of 2022 and Wall’s contract an expiring one (much more attractive).

harold bingo and amaru like this.
  17. Landry's Tooth

To Memphis:
    Tobias Harris
    #1 pick from Brooklyn
    #1 pick from Sixer

To 76ers:
    John Wall
    Danuel House

To Rockets:
    Pat Beverley (trade at deadline)
    Kyle Anderson (buyout)
    DeAnthony Melton (buyout? trade?)

I don't mind giving up a late first to get out of Wall's deal a year early and not deal with him poisoning the young guys as he pouts on the bench.

76ers are a decent spot for him to run the offense if they can move Simmons for some shooting...

Buddy Hield/John Wall backcourt with Barnes/House at the 3 is an improvement for them in my opinion if they can move Simmons to kings...

18. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

The move should be making Wall the sixth man, if he adapts to that and stays healthy he could be moved at the deadline to some desperate contender.

BamBam likes this.
  19. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

Hopefully before he is traded he can provide some knowledge and guidance to our young core.

Wall is an OG so anything he reflects upon the young guys will be useful

Other than that he is stuck on the wrong team but looks like an overall great person, wish him luck wherever he lands up at.

groovemachine likes this.
  20. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Yes Wall should be 6th man here. Agree one hundo.

That being said......

Wall+House+2026 Brooklyn pick (top 8 protected) for Wiggins+Looney+Poole and their choice of Moody or Kuminga.