1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Case for Josh Christopher - Possibly Best Value Pick w/ All-star Potential

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Medicine N Music, Aug 8, 2021.

1. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

[​IMG]

2. roslolian

roslolian Member

Ah yeah forgot about that lol.

saleem likes this.
  3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Not every good prospect can be an Allstar otherwise the Allstar selections lose value, it should be a small group as it is.

4. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I dunno about the rest of you but there were more than a few times where I found myself thinking "that guy may be the best player on the court" .... The little things , particularly defensively , he appeared much to be a much more mature player than a 19 year old rookie.
    Offensively there wasn't much to complain about either .... he got to the rim with ease , he drilled some mid range shots , had a few assists and a couple "hockey assists". I didn't come away with the impression many have expressed that he's a black hole like EG. I didn't feel like he forced shots he should have passed on .... he played wining basketball ...

I , like many of you didn't know what to make of the pick initially .... but after watching that first summer league game , its easy to see why Stone & co picked him. He's got a lot of tools , some you just can't teach.

5. csc177

csc177 Member

Damn JC’s clout is about to go through the roof.

DreamShook and D-rock like this.
  6. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

He's not a black hole, but at the same time he is someone not afraid to score.

7. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

8. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Notice how he said "Me DROPPING to 24...". This is why sometimes mock drafts are dumb and have very limited (and often wrong) information. This quote shows that him and his agent actually expected him to go higher.

Nbadraft . net had him at #18 just a few weeks prior to the draft. Dreamshake blog (or another rockets based blog) suggested for us to trade UP to get him. I'm not sure how he went from mid/late first round to the early second round in these mock drafts. His talent was definitely there.

Another thing people forget is how highly ranked he was and how talented his class was. He was number #11 on ESPN. Out of the 10 people ranked higher, 7 were top 10 picks this year, 1 died, and 2 others (BJ Boston, Greg Brown) were definitely worse than him. He could be easily been at top 5 recruit in any other year.

Based on previous data (per Morey), JC has several factors that are predictive for success in the NBA - high steals/deflections rate (best indicator for NBA level defense), age (young for his draft class), and being highly recruited in high school.

Speaking of age - JC was born in December 2001. Cade was born in Sept 2001 and Mobley born in June 2001. What's even crazier is that Jalen Green was born in Feb 2002 and is 8 months younger than Mobley.

9. D-rock

D-rock Member

Iko has his muse now, that line was not just badass but poetic even.

10. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Someone share the article ?!

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

D-rock and Corrosion like this.
  12. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

That's the thing .... comparing him to EG is inaccurate IMO.

I cringe when EG drives ..... Anytime EG puts the ball on the floor , the possession is over. He's taking that shot for better or worse.

I didn't get that vibe with JC , he was aggressive in getting to the rack but also a willing & capable passer.

Thanks.

13. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

I personally never considered him similar to Ego, but I do compare him from the perspective of replacing Ego as the 6th man or spark off the bench. For me, a better comparison would be Tyreke Evans or maybe even Jrue Holiday.

Corrosion likes this.
  14. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

The hype machine is in full gear .

but , I like it .

the great thing about having 4 rookies that can actually get minutes is that it takes pressure off the individual.

Pressure isn’t a bad thing , but being a top 3 pick comes with its own challenges . Along with another young talent in Porter JR , There’s plenty of opportunity to go around and chances are someone will have a good game .

There is real potential for growth at this young age and physical (growth) too .

ROXTXIA and saleem like this.
  15. Salvy

Salvy Member

I did not get the "Black hole" at all from the first game, if anything when Green and Sengun were not playing I kept looking at him as the clear leader and motor that made the team go. As crazy as it may sound, Houston may have just drafted themselves into a much much shorter rebuild all in one night. The only player we have yet to see is Garuba but he is the least I'm worried about since he is coming in with a defensive and hustle mentality and very little on his shoulders other than to block the $hit out everyone...

Christopher will be a star.....

16. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

He needs to shoot 3's efficiently, and improve on his 2 point jumper. I like his herky jerky moves near the basket.

Salvy likes this.
  17. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Don't be shy.

The hype machine is in full gear .
    but , I like it !!!

saleem and snowconeman22 like this.
  18. Salvy

Salvy Member

I don't think he will ever be a high percentage 3 point shooter, I do think he will absolutely drain them when the team needs them most... That's what I like the most out of our draft picks. None of these guys appeared to be afraid or nervous... They live for the moment, they want to be there....

slothy420 and hakeem94 like this.
  19. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

That would be nice. He needs to expand his range and at least make 4 open shots a game. He's got a long way to go.

20. D-rock

D-rock Member

PJ, Ariza, RoCo, Harden, CP3, Luc would have all loved this kid.

The defensive communication is legit. He has taken it upon himself to assert himself as the vocal leader on this end, rare for a rook.

Tate, Wood, Nwaba, Khyri, etc. will love him too.

#120 D-rock, Aug 10, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2021