1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Obama's birthday party

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Astrodome, Aug 9, 2021.

1. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

@JuanValdez

I'm correcting my statement. Apparently the event was scaled back to include only family and close friends (along with staff to confirm vaccination status or negative test). That would be much more of a private event then of a public event.

Nook and JuanValdez like this.
  2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Member

Posted about indoor/outdoor earlier. Its is just as easy to circulate fresh air inside a building at it is inside a tent. The recommendation is made knowing an indoor space in a building can draw in fresh air, but makes the distinction anyway. So, I call it indoors.

I think I'd call something "public" if there are no controls over who is and is not in the space, leaving you with no control or assurance on the status and behavior of the people you meet. But these folks were selected and supposedly vetted for vaccination status.

In any case, it's just a hair-splitting exercise about whether the letter of the recommendations were adhered to or not, not the spirit. I will await the stories of covid cases traced back to infections at this party. If their protocols were effective, there won't be any; if they were not effective, there will be spread (though Deep State may assassinate the celebrities in question to silence them and protect Obama's reputation (even though he'll never be president again)).

If the person hospitalized had ample opportunity to get vaccinated and refused, then no. J&J is a grayer area, but I think no. I'm supposed to weigh the risks another person faces and decide whether it meets some threshold or not, after they did their own risk assessment and decided J&J was good enough for them? Perhaps in some communities where access to other vaccines is limited, okay, but that's not many places in the USA. Btw, for the family member with a J&J, if it still feels risky it isn't difficult to go get a Pfizer vaccine on top of it.

Invisible Fan and Amiga like this.
  3. durvasa

durvasa Member

I follow your thinking for people who had ample opportunity to get vaccinated and refused. I think there are a lot of unvaccinated people where that actually isn't the case (https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/06/opinion/covid-delta-vaccines-unvaccinated.html).

For the case of my sister, this was during a time when vaccines were somewhat limited (March), and she was working in a hospital. J&J is what they offered her. Pretty difficult to assess at the time how effective it might be against variant strains that were yet to develop. I think many people are probably in a similar position.

Her doctor's hospital responded back that they don't recommend that and to wait until FDA approval. She's following what her doctor advises.

Invisible Fan and JuanValdez like this.
  4. durvasa

durvasa Member

"Only family and close friends" might be PR. I thought I read there were still hundreds in attendance.

5. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Large study shows J&J holding up well in real-world test.

New Data Suggest J. & J. Vaccine Works Against Delta - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

In the trial, called Sisonke, the researchers evaluated one dose of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine in nearly 500,000 health care workers, who are at high risk of Covid-19. The vaccine has an efficacy of up to 95 percent against death from the Delta variant, and up to 71 percent against hospitalization, the researchers reported. (The vaccine did slightly worse against the Beta variant, which is thought to be more adept at sidestepping the immune response than Delta.)

durvasa likes this.
  6. durvasa

durvasa Member

OK, 71 percent against hospitalization is quite a bit worse than the number of Pfizer, isn't it? It seems like the advantage J&J gives over unvaccinated is about the same amount as the advantage one with Pfizer has over J&J.

7. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Member
    Supporting Member

breaking: the Twins argue the Obama super spreader event was actually designed to kill Nancy Pelosi

8. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Twins are cooning again I see...I like some of their videos but man I'll probably skip that one.

9. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Member

Wait are they saying Obama is one of the good guys because I thought they hate Nancy Pelosi?

10. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Member

Reduced from 500 to 200 I read. And the tents they were in were the type you could keep the sides open (they showed them closing the slides to prevent paparazzi's from taking pictures of the set up).

11. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Is stacking vaccines really already a thing? Sounds scary.

12. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

Some coworkers did it at my last job. Not sure how wise it is.

Astrodome likes this.
  13. durvasa

durvasa Member

That’s an improvement, but to say 200 people is “family and close friends” seems like spin. I mean, Obama is a popular guy but a 100+ close friends?

14. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Member

My youngest daughter is getting married next fall and is planning a wedding with "immediate family and close friends" and the invitee list just passed 150. I could imagine a very popular former president has that many "close friends".

15. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Member

On the article, I'm not persuaded. On everything else, fair points.

16. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Yes, I think so. I believe it's 71 vs 85 or so.... Still 71 is great. It doesn't mean that 29% will be hospitalized, it means that you have a 71% less chance of hospitalization vs unvaccinated.

17. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Really? I could easily get over 100 with family alone. Depends on the definition of close friends is, but I could probably get another 100 there. We hang out with a group of 20 in Florida and I've only been here 2.5 years. Pretty sure I have amassed what I would consider 80 close friends outside of Florida. A good definition of a close friend is someone who would help you move without batting an eye. :)

18. durvasa

durvasa Member

I see. OK, operating on a different definition of "close friend" then. Also, I guess I'm not as sociable as most, haha.

19. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

What's your definition of close friend?

20. durvasa

durvasa Member

Not sure I can exactly define it. Someone you’d invite out to dinner when it’s just the two of you, perhaps?