1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why it needs to be Mobley...

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Landry's Tooth, Jun 27, 2021.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

For sure, but those aren't the kinds of plays I was talking about.

When the shot clock is winding down, there's nothing much you can do. When there is plenty of time left on the clock and you just get tunnel vision and force up a bad attempt, that is what can be eliminated which would turn a solid outing into a good outing.

Even Harden occasionally struggled with this from time to time, so it's not unexpected.....but around here the slightest, most valid criticism is looked at is some kind of harsh personal attack.

2. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

What's hilarious is you stating over and over again that "23 points on 18 shots is not impressive". Is 50% shooting and 44% from the 3pt line impressive?? If Green maintained your "unimpressive" stats throughout this season, he would have possibly one of the greatest rookie campaigns in the history of the league. Obviously there are things he needs to work on, but nobody is in here saying he's Jordan reincarnated. There's a TON to be excited about, but since you so vehemently took the other side of the Green/Mobley debate, you simply can't bring yourself to feel that same excitement for a team you supposedly root for.

You know exactly what you're doing when you frame your arguments in such a negative manner. It forces whoever you're arguing with to take an extreme view on the other side to simply counteract your negativity. Then you come in and downplay your negativity as simply "keeping it real" and say things like, "Look, I hope the kid figures it out soon because I'm a fan of the team", making the other side's argument seem hysterical and fanatical. It's basically a form of negging, and it doesn't work.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

1. This was a summer league game, not an NBA game.

2. The fact that saying he did alright but needs to cut down on the plays where he gets tunnel vision and forces things that aren't there is seen as harsh negativity is pretty hilarious. You guys are absolutely embarrassing yourselves right now.

3. The reason I point out the shot attempts to points is to hammer home how he had a decent game at 18 shots to 23 points, but had he cut out a few bad decisions it would have been a much more efficient, much better performance at 14 or 15 shots to 23 points. It's not like he was out there chucking like Josh Christopher......I mean this is such light criticism and so many are throwing outright tantrums about it.

I'm embarrassed for you.

4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

When a player forces things that aren't there typically you see that with turnovers and poor shooting percentages.

Green had one turnover and shot 50% from the field. He literally had one shot he chucked which was a end of quarter buzzer beater.

Does he need to work on his pick and roll game? Sure. Is he forcing things and taking aggressively bad shots? No. All his shot attempts expect a couple were well controlled shots. High degree of difficulty doesn't means "forcing". Elite guards take high degree of difficulty shots often. It doesn't mean they are forcing the issue.

Drift Monkey likes this.
  5. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Troll vs. Troll lol

jordnnnn likes this.
  6. raining threes

Agreed, so is Green, Sengun, Garuba, Christopher etc...

Point is some are bigger projects than others. Would you say Sengun is a bigger project than Mobley. I dont have an answer for this after one SL game. But I like Sengun's potential every bit as much as I like Mobley's. They're different players, but Sengun has proven himself as an eigthteen year old against grown men in a play for pay league. Not only that, he won the MVP of the second best overseas league in the world as an eighteen year old. His ceiling is very high and his first game he looked like he not only belonged, he looked like something special and he didn't even have his best game. The future is bright.

Drift Monkey, larry cook and D-rock like this.
  7. raining threes

All young players go through this to varying degrees.

8. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I know his stats didn't pop out, but I don't think the last summer league game told us anything we didn't know about Mobley. Despite his underwhelming stat line, I still think he is good and showed it in the last game - he has great defensive instincts, is huge in the paint, and is a very skilled finesse player but needs a little time to put it all together and still obviously needs to develop that strength. The Cavs got a future AD type player defensively - maybe a Bosh type of guy offensively....but it's going to take a few years for him to get strong enough to be an anchor for his team and we saw it this game - as a big, your guards have to get you the ball - that's part of why bigs don't quite have the same ceiling to impact the game because their impact depends on guards including them in the flow of the game and his team didn't do that as much against Houston. He'll be great for Cleveland, but I'm still much more excited about Green turning us around sooner because his shot making seems elite already and he is still obviously improving.

D-rock likes this.
  9. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Nobody said it was anything other than a Summer League game. Again, you're purposefully overstating my argument to make it sound like I'm saying something I'm not. My point is that what Green did yesterday was objectively a VERY good performance. If he continues to play like that throughout this season, he will have an historical rookie campaign. You harp on his mistakes like he had a slew of them, when in reality he had an efficient game with 1 TO, and perhaps 2-3 bad shots. That's a stat line you would live with from LeBron, or Tatum, or Harden, or any other player expected to carry the scoring load for a team. You talk about his tunnel vision, and there were a handful of possessions that he looked off open shooters, but Green's step-back 3 is still a better shot than an open 3 from Şengün or Christopher at this point.

Again, you keep saying things like "you're embarrassing yourself" and "you're throwing a tantrum". Nobody (certainly not me) is doing that. The fact that you have to keep overstating my argument and acting like I'm over here throwing a hissy fit when I'm simply pointing out the MO of your entire posting presence on this site is what's embarrassing. But keep swinging away, Bobby.

10. prodigy08

prodigy08 Clutchfans Lurker

I guess right now is the perfect time to move this thread to the Dish and just rename the thread "Anything Mobley"

Drift Monkey, 523744 and macho GRANDE like this.
  11. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Boobythegreat is not gonna eat crow on his take about green, so i fully expect him to btch, nitpick and root for green failure until it soo fking undeniable that green isn't what booby thought he was. then the man is gonna pretend he was on team green the whole time.

12. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

13. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Why are you guys even arguing with BTG? Put him on Ignore where he belongs and conserve whatever brain cells you have left in preparation for when old age starts claiming them. He is truly an example of the worst that online sports communities have to offer, so why bother helping spread his pollution. It's quite appalling that he was even allowed back after his ban, but that's a whole different discussion.

Drift Monkey, King1 and Amel like this.
  14. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

Green is more ready in NBA offense than Mobley. Green needs work on playmaking skill and defense.
    Sengun post up game is solid even compare to NBA players. These days most don't have post up game. He needs to be more consistent on his mid-range/outside shoot. Defense definitely need work. He definitely look more like 6'9" than 6'10".
    Garuba, only saw him play a little in Olympic. He's good on defense. Don't know what he can do on offense.
    Christopher showed flashes on everything but need lots of works. Hopefully he can learn from Gordon.
    I really hope Wall can stick around, All our young players will benefit playing with a veteran PG.

D-rock likes this.
  15. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Is Bobby still arguing?

[​IMG]

16. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

If y'all haven't seen the 2010 movie Trollhunter, I strongly recommend it. Very good. I've watched it multiple times.

Killatron 2000 likes this.
  17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

He dun got squatters rights n made dis his

Drift Monkey and Amel like this.
  18. 34to11

34to11 Member

Hilarious.

This is all so hilariously predictable. We all knew the guy who campaigned for Mobley so vociferously, often not by extolling Mobley's own virtues but by denigrating Green at every turn, was going to continue his antics once the balling began regardless of circumstance.

He has not disappointed.

But, to be fair we do have to acknowledge that he was absolutely right when he said one guy would immediately help his team win by scoring in a variety of ways, making plays for others, and playing solid defense while they other guy would just be good for a few dunk highlights. :D

Drift Monkey and roslolian like this.
  19. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I missed when Bobby left the DnD and came to the GARM

20. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I think Mobley looked good, a lot of his missed shots were barely missed.

At the same time, I was fully expecting him to have a hard time in the post, as was shown with JC striping him multiple times, he even got bodied by Hurt into missing two point blank layups lol. The dude is extremely skinny

He’s pretty explosive and quick for a big, his D is legit, creating offense will be a big struggle, his rebounding is suspect. I think he’s got potential to be an awesome super role player but I don’t see the path for him to be a superstar (unlike some of the other top picks).

My draft board top 5 was Cade/Suggs/Green/Mobley/Sengun

excited to see Suggs play today, and Cade tomorrow

dmoneybangbang and YOLO like this.