1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why it needs to be Mobley...

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Landry's Tooth, Jun 27, 2021.

1. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

I read this and was like what idiot…. Then scrolled back up… oh yah…Bobby

Drift Monkey, Jayzers_100 and FLASH21 like this.
  2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm old enough to remember a player named Giannis.....

hakeem94 likes this.
  3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Brilliant argument kid.

I'll take that as you confirming that you disagree, but you are incapable of explaining why you disagree......because you are going on reputation alone.

Without Shaq or Pau, Kobe would have been thought of more like Westbrook.

Instead he was a flashy chucker on numerous stacked teams so casuals talk him up as if he was one of the greatest players of all time.

hakeem94 likes this.
  4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I prefer Alp now. Alp >>>>>>>>>>> Mobley

5. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Green was highly efficient last year with a TS% of 61%. He was even more efficient yesterday.

What exactly are your expectations for him efficiency wise?

Drift Monkey, D-rock, FLASH21 and 2 others like this.
  6. MystikArkitect

Kobe. McGrady. Harden.

Not everyone figures it out right away. It's been one Summer League game. Green was the right pick though.

Also a little funny to argue that "bigs struggle in the Summer League" as an argument in favor of Mobley when Sengun literally was the player of the day.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He did alright, he scored 23 points on 18 shots....but if he eliminated 3 or 4 times where he got tunnel vision and forced really bad shots, he'd have been better.

I think if he had a competent PG out there, he'd have been better because it might have eliminated those kinds of scenarios by taking the ball out of his hands, that's what I was saying.

I don't care if what you did overall was acceptable, there's always room for improvement.

Sengun played incredibly well on both sides of the ball, he still needs to work on his FT shooting.

Pointing out the areas where players need to improve isn't some horrible attack on their character......you do get that, right?

hakeem94 likes this.
  8. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

I phrased that wrong. I should have said "how many top tier players did it take years for them to even be average on offense." That's the issue I see with Mobley, he's not good at that end of the floor at all. Kobe, Tmac and Harden didn't have to wait years to be good scorers, just years to be superstars. Mobley's go years just to be a decent scorer, and then more years to become a superstar if he ever gets his offense to that level at all, which looks questionable. I think his ceiling is more a great defensive player who's average on offense. That is not a superstar.

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

mobley will be just fine. His biggest thing right now is getting stronger. That will come naturally as his body matures. all these silly kneejerk conclusions as if hes anywhere near done with his progression as a player is nonsense.

10. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Are you trying to tell me that Pau was a lockdown defender? He was just slightly above average. I didn't like Kobe, but he was steeled. He was clutch.

I do agree with you Green does try to force things. He needs to improve on catch and shoot. KPJ and he are young, they will struggle together initially. They can shine together in time.

Drift Monkey and macho GRANDE like this.
  11. dmoneybangbang

Mobley looked like the player I thought he would be immediately out of college. The bball IQ was on full display and he was a useful cog on defense and offense. However, the lack of strength and the speed of the summer league were big issues, especially the former. He has a long ways to go if he will ever become more than an offensive cog.

Green looked great but could have easily looked like a poor shot taker if more of those tough shots didn’t go in. Green’s tunnel vision was pretty glaring as he had Sengun open many times. Green definitely needs to work on PNR.

Drift Monkey, CXbby, D-rock and 3 others like this.
  12. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

No he wouldn't be Westbrook lol. Kobe's adjusted ts% (adjust for era) is significantly higher than Westbrick's on top of being an elite defender for a large chunk of his career.

And Pau wouldn't win a ring without Kobe either. And Shaq didn't win his first ring until Kobe and has only won a ring with an all time great guard as a teammate.

Pau and Shaq mutually benefited with Kobe. Both pairs needed each other to win it all.

#1072 fchowd0311, Aug 9, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2021
  13. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Didn't say you were attacking his character did I?

I just find it strange that your point for improvement is something that he is already elite at doing.

Drift Monkey likes this.
  14. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

so he would have been better if he was perfect on his 1st NBA summer league game?

Drift Monkey and macho GRANDE like this.
  15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I never said perfect, as it was, he was fine. I was hoping for outright good.

It wouldn't have taken that much to upgrade his performance from fine to good.

Sengun had a stellar performance and there were still things he could have done better.

That's what Summer League is all about, working on those things before the actual NBA season.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He's not "elite", he was just "okay". He had moments that hints at him one day becoming an elite scorer....but he needs to work on shot selection and avoid tunnel vision.

I want him to improve so that perhaps he'll be the standout performance in some of these games instead of guys drafted after him

17. fchowd0311

Non Rocket fan consensus think he was the most impressive player yesterday out of all the first round picks.

So at this point you are more down on Green than even people who aren't even Rocket fans.

Drift Monkey likes this.
  18. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Admit it: If Mobley had 23 points on 50% shooting, you’d be crowing. Green outscored every rookie. You won’t admit he played more than “fine” because you’re biased, period.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That might be casual fan consensus opinion, but he wasn't even the most impressive first round pick on his own team.

That's not being down on Green, that's just having watched the games and having an intelligent opinion.

Green was fine, he made some really impressive shots but he was overshadowed by Sengun.

20. fchowd0311

Are you referring to the times Sengun was open at the three point line from a pnr?

Because a step back green three is a more efficient shot than a open Sengun three at this point their respective careers. Not saying Sengun can never be a good 3 pt shooter but he isn't that right now.

Drift Monkey likes this.