1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why it needs to be Mobley...

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Landry's Tooth, Jun 27, 2021.

1. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Lmao

He's like Russell Westbrook except he's 6'10, he's extremely efficient, and he's an incredible defender.

So, basically, he's nothing like Westbrook?

D-rock likes this.
  2. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

I fully expect 10 years from now the thread to be bumped and the debate still not resolved

Drift Monkey, vator, D-rock and 3 others like this.
  3. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

IMO this is what set Green apart from him and why I absolutely believed Green was the correct choice. As someone who watched Mobley quite a bit while playing for USC, I just don't see him as the type of player that can take over a NBA playoff series, or even a game for that matter, and if you are picking at #2, you better be getting at least the potential for that with your selection. IMO Green looks like he's that type of player from the eye test alone, and the fact that he carries himself the way he does (i.e. his confidence and overall demeanor screams multiple MVP type potential), is the reason why I didn't bother spending much time even thinking about Mobley (or anyone for that matter) over Green and it is clear the team felt the same way.

FWIW I think Green ends up being the best player in this draft and it will end up being a blessing in disguise that we didn't land the #1 pick and Cade.

Drift Monkey likes this.
  4. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Clearly has the highest ceiling in the whole draft, and that's exactly what you want at that stage in the draft.

Big red flags, but they aren't competing for the 8th seed.

D-rock and vator like this.
  5. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

If Green can get buckets when people like Leonard are defending him, yes. However, he's barely getting enough space now. He's going to have problems against longer defenders as of today.

6. Denovo

Denovo Member

Issac Okoro is a high quality defender. He’s takes the toughest assignments for the Cavs every night lol

Drift Monkey, vator and saleem like this.
  7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Yeah I'll be interested to see Green in a game when his outside shot isn't falling. How will he react? Will he try to penetrate more, facilitate more, keep shooting bricks, or shy away?

He got to the rim a few times last night but there were several times where he tried to take his man off the dribble but had to settle for a jumper. Last night it didn't matter, because he was making those shots, but those are difficult shots and won't always fall. So I'm looking forward to seeing how he plays when he's having an off night shooting.

D-rock likes this.
  8. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Okoro's a good defender, I don't think he'll have trouble. I'd be more worried about Mobley struggling against Hurt on offense, that was kind of embarrassing for a supposed AD + KD + Giannis + Chris Bosh...

Drift Monkey, xaos, Denovo and 2 others like this.
  9. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

SMH it's amazing how far people will reach before admitting they're wrong...

Dobbizzle and Denovo like this.
  10. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

In other words, will he be a James Harden and keep shooting bricks, complain to the refs about not getting a call on every shot attempt, and eventually start pouting leading to playing zero defense and not helping contribute on the glass or any other area of the game once he's mailed it in?

11. MystikArkitect

Cade's ceiling is Magic.

Mobley's ceiling is Bosh/AD.

Green's ceiling is Kobe.

I still don't get the "highest ceiling" argument when Green's ceiling is a Top 5 player of all time.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  12. swakid8

swakid8 Member

I am not going to jump to conclusions yet, it’s just 1 game of the summer league. Even though I was leaning Green the entire time Mobley will be a solid player in this league. HE will be good, but not good enough to convince me that he should been the number 2 pick. I believe he was a reach at number 3 to be honest.

macho GRANDE likes this.
  13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well....Kobe isn't a top 5 player of all time for starters. He's not even top 10.

Riding Shaq and Pau's coattails and being flashy while chucking does not make you a top 10 player.

macho GRANDE likes this.
  14. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Mobley's ceiling is Bam, no chance in any hell that he gets close to Bosh/AD.

Air Canada and Drift Monkey like this.
  15. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

He won two NBA titles without Shaq. Pau was nothing without Kobe.

That's all that matters. Jalen is no Kobe. He can be an all star for Houston in 3 years. He did chuck a few shots, but he ended with a good shooting percentage. He would gotten at least 5 assists if Sengun and Josh didn't miss their shots. He worked hard on defense and finished the game with a gorgeous pick and roll when the shots weren't open. Yes, he did chuck some bad shots too, but then he calmed down and got into a rhythm. I never said he is Lebron or Magic or a lock down defender. Yes, it's summer league, but he wasn't playing against junk players.

16. MystikArkitect

Too early to tell that but he looked awkward. His biggest issue is his motor and his weight.

Time will tell.

Drift Monkey likes this.
  17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah....he rode Pau's coattails for another 2, what's your point?

Until Westbrook came along, Kobe was the most overrated player in NBA history.

If Green follows Kobe's style of play, it won't be a good thing. Fortunately, I have high hopes that he'll be better than that. Also, the Rockets will be able to keep the ball out of his hands often enough that his chucking instincts shouldn't be too bad. He's clearly a really good scorer, but he needs to focus on scoring when set up by others so that he does so at a higher percentage.

One of my only criticisms of Green in the first game was that he struggles with tunnel vision and it causes him to force things that aren't there. Sometimes he manages to finish anyway, most of the time he doesn't. If he cuts that out.....which is hard in Summer league due to having no PG, he'll be a LOT better for it.

18. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Mobley flashed. He has tools to work with. 5 turnovers is a bad look, but the NBA speed is new to him. Im sure he will get better over time as was the expectation with him. He can be a great complimentary piece to a star wing.

Nelly and D-rock like this.
  19. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

It may be too early, but he doesn't have the vast majority of the things people were saying he does that made him the mythical "unicorn." No advanced guard skills, played like a regular big, not a great shooter, no post game. He's years away from being an offensive force and he didn't even look dominant on D either. He's a lot more likely to get there on the defensive end, but he's years away on offense. How many top tier players took literal years to develop into one?

Nelly and Drift Monkey like this.
  20. Denovo

Denovo Member

I expected poor offense day one. But 5 rebounds is unacceptable. Especially when you’re the tallest and longest on the court.

Drift Monkey likes this.