1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green Summer League Highlights

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Reeko, Aug 8, 2021.

1. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

Rockets are fun again

2. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

8th seed or higher!

3. Vivi

Vivi Member

Agreed, i also think he looked much better on defense then what i expected after hearing/reading some reports about him, but yeah, what really stood out to me was how natural his scoring and shooting looked, as i was watching him make a couple of 3s i couldn't not think he reminded me of Paul George on how smooth his shot looked, and i think offensively that's probably just his floor, he pretty obviously has the chance to develop into something more than that, which is really exciting of course.

4. CXbby

CXbby Member

Green was the biggest bright spot for me since I was already so high on Sengun. I actually thought his feel for the game was his weakness, missing some passes out of the pnr that he could have made. Right now he’s definitely a secondary playmaker, not someone you want to run your entire offense through ala Harden or Luka. But man, what shot making! The biggest thing I liked was that even though we know all about his elite athleticism, which he will have plenty of time to showcase, I don’t think he had a single dunk tonight, instead he scored using his whole bag. That three point stroke is money I dunno what you were watching if you think his form needs to change. Getting to the line is an issue though as I’ve stated before he avoids contact instead of drawing it. Green’s defense was not good in the g league but he always showed effort, you pair that with decent size (another pleasant surprise) and he has potential there.

5. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

I'll leave this here also

6. Caesar

Caesar Member

I agree about trying to avoid contact but aggressively trying to avoid it if that makes sense. Hes trying to be crafty and find a way to score as his primary concern and were all very used to watching a guy primarily try and draw the foul. I believe one day come playoff time when Green is aggressively trying double pump or shift his body around for the bucket, he will get calls that refs just refuse to give Harden in those late game situations. Green won't have a rep for foul baiting and so far he's not a "throw hands up in the air" whining for a call kind of player(Sengun seems like he will be).

My one issue is concern over his landing. He fell hard on his back several times after contact. We already know about his out of control one legged kick landings off dunks, so this is now 2 landing concerns that could lead to serious injury if he doesn't learn how to safely land after he gets off the ground.

7. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Sucks he couldn't have fun watching this.

8. fchowd0311

Solid points. Obviously discussing about Green's potential play in a playoff situation is rather premature but it does seem like his game will translate to playoff basketball well unlike our previous superstar.

Green also is very quick and agile off the ball which means that he at least will get the inbounds pass in clutch time situations rather than being shut out because he can't move his feet like Harden who often just stands around on inbound plays thus creating situations where our 3rd or 4th option is taking the clutch time shots in the playoffs.

Rudyc281 and Caesar like this.
  9. j@amc

j@amc Member

Green was definitely looking to make plays for himself and not as much for his teammates, missing several opportunities to get others involved. He's wasn't selfish but any means, but clearly he's been working on his individual game and was focused on being aggressive. For him, in the summer league, that makes total sense.

I think the coaches will point to several places where they can play better together. There are enough willing passers on this team to form good chemistry. It's going to take time (and some direction from the staff) for teammates to funnel the ball into Sengun--at either the high or low post--and then move and set screens off the ball. But it's nice to have a mature post player that knows what to do.

Their defense was pretty respectable for a young team in its first SL game. Once you add Garuba out there, they'll be even better.

Loved how they got boards and got out on the break.

10. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Was moving my son from Boulder CO back to Texas and missed the game. Highlights look great and I did tape it. So excited to see JG shooting with such great arc on his shot.

11. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

I want JG playing off-ball I don’t need him being the primary playmaker.

I want him coming around multiple screens
    I want him moving around all over the court without the ball
    I want him cutting

12. D-rock

D-rock Member

Points is one thing, but 1 TO in whole game?

Kid could be special.

13. D-rock

D-rock Member

His speed and body control are truly elite.

14. CCorn

CCorn Member

Reminds me of tmac.

15. Asian Sensation

That finish with the off hand! Kid is a natural. Houston we’ve got a bright future!

Drift Monkey and D-rock like this.
  16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I hope he is. He likes like a guy who could be a good scorer. The rest of his game, we'll see

Drift Monkey likes this.
  17. Franchise 101

Franchise 101 Member

The arrogance, get over yourself. I support and not hate my squad for kicks.

King1 and Drift Monkey like this.
  18. HardenVolumeOne

steph and klays appeal only lasted when they were winning. Even then I didn’t see too many youngesters trying to emulate their games at all

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Whatever you say, random new person, spouting off with nonsensical BS that doesn't relate in any way to what you are trying to respond to.

20. fchowd0311

His body really suits him to be an elite off ball scorer along with elite iso scoring. He seems to also have a lot of stamina which means he'll have cardio conditioning to run around a lot off ball like a Curry.

Rudyc281 likes this.