1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

John Wall Buyout thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, May 17, 2021.

1. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Tank Commander will do what must be done

2. roslolian

roslolian Member

This.

What's the point of buyout? Wall's contract expires in a couple of years, keep him and get an asset for your trouble.

We are tanking if we arent playing the rooks we should be playing Wall and telling him to inflate his stats to increas his trade value.

3. i3artow i3aller

4. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

Good luck grabbing a rebound.

D-rock and txtodd like this.
  5. conquistador#11

Thought it was a new official thread and got excited.

D-rock likes this.
  6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

7. MultipleSauces

Wall can still play bruh. If we can’t trade him just rock with him and let him show the young guns the veteran tricks and moves in practice. Then trade him next year when he’s a huge expiring ..

Dobbizzle and CHAMPBOY like this.
  8. Sidarma

Sidarma Member

Don't be dumb like okc...
    Kemba get buyout from okc 74 + 8 from knicks

9. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

I agree there always should be experimentation. Thing is we have performed this experiment already - the two of them together logged the most minutes of any combination we had last year. That said there is nothing wrong with trying it some more with our new players and see if magic can happen.
    Check out our lineup success levels here: https://www.nba.com/stats/lineups/a...gular Season&TeamID=1610612745&sort=MIN&dir=1
    (sort by minutes to see the most used)

Note any combination where both Wall and KPJ are present together doesn't work as well. It's interesting to note that Wall when he has high efficiency players around him does better which lends itself to a trade to a team like the Clippers for example.

The danger is Wall can easily get injured and this will deprive testing a lot of potential combinations without him and hence development of even more of our young players.

theDude and D-rock like this.
  10. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

The perimeter defense would be pretty bad then though. I'm not sure what they are going to do because it's very hard to tell KPJ, Wall, or Green that they are coming off the bench. Maybe you can get Green to come off the bench though if you have to.

Any ways, I think this is just the Rockets blowing smoke and trying not to completely tank his value. I don't believe Wall wants to stick around at all.

I just think the Rockets are doing the smart thing (unlike Philly) and saying all the right things about him as if they are more than prepared to start the season with him and have longterm plans for him. We've seen them do this with players they meant to trade later before too like of course Harden and also went so far as giving Oladipo an extension that they apparently knew he'd turn down.

Well it won't be pretty but I don't know if the Rockets will be willing to play to legit bigs. We'll see what Sengun and Garuba can do, maybe one of them can nab a starting spot.

Mr Woods and D-rock like this.
  11. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

The most likely scenario right now is that he'll be back. The market is not there for him, and he hasn't performed well enough for anyone to look at him and say "he's the missing piece."

I think last season was a success as he proved to people he was back from injury, could stay healthy and play big minutes, and still has some burst. What he couldn't do was actually play well for anything longer than a few moments here and there. He needs to sustain good play beyond flashes, and his shooting was awful. Teams aren't looking for a PG who shoots 20 times a game and can't make a shot. Wall's decision making has got to improve, he's got to shoot less, and he has to shoot less from outside of the paint and be more efficient when he does. Until he does that, we're not going to see a lot of teams eager to take on a 40M contract.

mac_got_this likes this.
  12. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Most importantly his playmaking needs to improve dramatically. It’s too much offensive talent in this team for him not to be averaging his career average in assists

13. D-rock

D-rock Member

Wall needs to come off the bench.

Porter/Wall/Augustin
    Green/Khyri/Christopher
    Tate/Nwaba/KJ
    Theis/Garuba
    Wood/Sengun

Trade House & EGo for future picks.

Sign Harry Giles and/or 1 of the cuts after preseason.

2 Way: Armoni + Hurt

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  14. StevieCrossover

Tank commander taking no less than a 90 million dollars buyout. Maybe the Rockets can get the Washington Wizards to pay for part of it.

15. D-rock

D-rock Member

Wall not going anywhere.

Silas loves his ass way too much.

#175 D-rock, Aug 6, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2021
  16. Jalen Green OnlyFan

Honestly I don't understand the urgency to move him.

He's a good tank commander, good locker room guy, and has a lot of knowledge he can share with green about being a high draft pick that became an all star.

Trade him next year when he's a valuable expiring.

Corrosion and cmlmel77 like this.
  17. D-rock

D-rock Member

18. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

hahahahhahaha

D-rock likes this.
  19. PatBev

PatBev Member

I think we run Wall/Green/Porter in the starting lineup for a year. KPJ/Green can finish the first and Wall/Gordon start the second and keep staggering

I want to see the rookies play but having Wall & Gordon to help mentor for a year and help take pressure off these 19 year olds

I say go with Wall this year, make him sit back to backs, and buy him out next season after these kids have a years experience

20. Jontro

Jontro Member

no need for rebounds when they shooting 95%