1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The same people whining about Theis

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by VoR, Aug 3, 2021.

1. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Well, I don't know how much Olynyk really helped us in the long run.

The real mistake by Stone was in the original Harden trade he should have took back Jarrett Allen and Caris LeVert. They could play alongside the young guys in the future or be easily traded since they're both still young.

Theis should fit but the best case scenario is that he helps mentor the young guys some and is traded for a late first round or early second round pick in a couple years.

jerryclark likes this.
  2. vince

vince Member

Olynyk was a solid player. He brought a lot of energy to the team. And he did himself a favor by outplaying most expectations of him.

I was solid in the bring him back camp; but with the center signing from Chicago, well even I admit with the rookies and Theiss, you may have redundant players at the front court.

Best of luck to Olynyk…

D-rock and raining threes like this.
  3. fckbandwagons

fckbandwagons Member

4. Rox_fan_here

Rox_fan_here Contributing Member

Had we done this we would have most likely been too good to have gotten the #2 pick, losing out on Green and watching OKC snicker as they take our pick from us.

raining threes, rhee and Joe Rocket like this.
  5. VoR

VoR Member

Stone and Tilman are all about making friends in this league. Allen signed long term with Cleveland, KPJ was traded to Houston for peanuts. Coincidence? No. LeVert doesn’t fit with the Rockets timeline. We got the real Green anyways.

You won’t miss LeVert once we have Jean Montero or Ty Ty Washington in 2023.

Joe Rocket likes this.
  6. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wouldn't have Jalen Green If we had those two.

And we'd be in a fat financial hole, too.

7. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

yup Allen and Levert are both better, more valuable and actually fit the age range of our core

Theis and Olynk are worthless for this team. They are literally just paid to be there and nothing else

8. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

As much as those 2 are better than Oladipo we would still have been terrible without a dependable perimeter defense and no star player.

Those contracts are also easily tradeable.

You don't turn down better players to lose more games. You use them as tradeable assets. You can always "rest" guys to lose more and like I said a couple role players weren't going to make us a good team. We need everything.

Even if we didn't want them I would have rather taken on a bad player plus a good pick in the process of routing those guys somewhere else instead of trying to make a run (which we were trying to do by acquiring Oladipo)

9. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

You cant say for sure we wouldnt have Green or even Cade if we won more. Detroit won 3 more games than us and got the number 1 pick

10. ilias

ilias Member

Not sure why people are trying to sugarcoat this signing. At best this has zero upside. At worst it risks our strategy of having cap space in 2023 and having to attach a 2nd-rounder or two to shed his salary. Just needless…

11. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Those contracts are not easily tradeable, and you definitely won't be getting value back.

The Caris contract with his injury history and dreadful defense is not a "value contract". Teams aren't sprinting to pay Allen 100+ million either.

Denovo likes this.
  12. Jalen Green OnlyFan

You misrepresented the best case and worst case scenarios pretty severely

raining threes likes this.
  13. Denovo

Denovo Member

We are perfectly fine without Allen and LeVert.

Don’t know why their names are even worth mentioning atp.

A few more wins added and we could have Tre Mann instead of Jalen Green.

Whining over players that might be worth a late or a couple second round picks.

14. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You are dealing with people not hermetically sealed containters that plug into and unplug from other containers seamlessly.

Young human beings take behavioral queues from older human beings. Thats how learning works, and every 19 year old in the league is an unfinished product.

A team of 17 19 year olds would be a disaster. You attach older roleplaying vets to the team to teach the young guys.

I prefered Olynyk, but it appears Theis is the kind of guy you want to rub off on our young bigs. I was specifically interested in Sengun learning from Olynyk, but thinking about it, Theis teaching "plucky offensive underdog" skills to Garuba might be a really good fit.

No sugarcoating at all. You cant have a roster full of 19 year old, alpha-dogs.

#54 Ottomaton, Aug 3, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
    D-rock likes this.
  15. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I disagree. This team appeared to make some great pics in the draft. Adding to an already young team. Making the team likely draft high next season as well.

Remaining flexible salary wise until Wall is off the team gaming experience for the young players with improvement until Wall leaves. Which in turn increasing the odds of getting a higher picks. The next two off seasons.

Stone and the Rockets at this moment are doing exactly what I think is the best route to have a long sustainable run in a few years.

16. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Yea, I agree with all those concepts and the current approach. I was saying Stone missed an opportunity to pick up more assets by trying to win now with getting Oladipo.

Even if he didn't get those players he could have gotten more draft assets by not taking back Oladipo and just looking for an expiring contract that wasn't perceived to be as good. I think people are getting hung up on my comment about LeVert/Allen. My point was more about stock piling assets instead of being concerned about veteran fit.

17. DonatelloLimestone

When kelly was traded, the issue was we were discussing the value of getting two expirings and a a few spots higher in the end of the first round for oladipo, who was the player we targeted in the harden trade giving up levert who has more years, cheaper contract so we wouldn't have our backs against hte wall with a month or two. That was the debate, it wasn't againsy Kelly Olynk.
    He ended up bringing in an energy, hustle, and style that we all needed to see n a tough, long season. But in the end of the day, the criticism is valid, we declined avery bradley and didn't give kelly a competitive enough offer...its fine, we get we're rebuildng so these moves matter a bit less, but once again it was a cost cutting move.

I don't know why peopel don't like thies. We got a guy who is getting paid under mid level, brings in hustle, energy, and can shoot. I would prefer it would be 2-3 year contract for him, but with the money growing in the league 9 million is going to be cheap enough to still trade or do something with. It was not a consequential price for a player who can add but ultimately this wasn't a threadworthy big signing outside of wishign we kept rolling with kelly olynk.

Its all about seeing KPJ, Green, Tate, KMJ, Wood, the two new centers develop this season. We have stability and a better directon going into this year so we should play better and I think even though we're young and not as win ready, we'll be a tough out with the youth energy and well have good nights in the toyota center, with that growing each coming season now with this foundation.

VoR and raining threes like this.
  18. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Isn’t the last two year nonguaranteed ?

19. Franchise 101

Franchise 101 Member

Theiss will be a good pick up. Alota People whined and still ignorantly criticize Stone and all he does is prove all the toxic haters wrong with banger after banger.

20. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

Soooo???? Does this team look like it's a team that is looking to win next year?