1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[More Accurate Translation]Alperen Sengun First NBA Interview

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by don grahamleone, Aug 2, 2021.

1. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I had a pretty strong suspicion that the translator was missing really big parts on the job. A lot of the commentary on the youtube page was in Turkish and said that the lady wasn't accurate, she needs to learn English better, that must be his girlfriend, etc, etc... so I found a translation that was more accurate if you're interested. I'll post it below the video.

From the translator: "I translated it guys. I don't know how good it is, but it should be better than what she said:"

1) What will you bring to your new team...?

Alperen [0:20]: Firstly, I was very excited today. Everything went great today. All the Turkish citizens were excited as well. I will try to make a difference in my new team, and try to be as successful as I can. Jalen Green also joined Houston as the second pick. I am very excited. Hopefully I will have a great rookie season. I will try to do my best.

2) How do you see yourself fitting in the lineup...?

Alperen [1:32]: I had a very good year in Turkey, we had a great season as a team. I wanted to play good and come to the NBA. My first goal was being selected as a TOP 20 pick, so I accomplished one of my goals today. I hope everything will go smoothly in Houston. I want to make a difference like Nikola Jokic and Domantas Sabonis on the court and play a good team game. Very excited for the future.

3) How did your prepared yourself for the NBA basketball mentally and physically? What are your plans on adapting yourself to the NBA in your rookie year?

Alperen [2:40]: I am a person who adapts really quickly to new places. I hope it will be the same here. European basketball and NBA are very different. NBA is a unique organization. I declared for the draft because I felt ready for this. I will try to adapt and focus quickly. I hope I will have a great season.

4) Big men dominated the NBA finals this year. As a big men how will you impact the game in the NBA? As you know that there were a lot of criticism about Doncic when he was in the draft. Do you think that in your workouts people had prejudices about you because you are from Europe?

Alperen [3:41]: I think in the last years European players started to become very successful in the NBA. I think we managed to eliminate the prejudices as European players. I am ready, my family is ready, people around me are ready, and I will only focus on my new team from now.

5) Basketball players from Turkey usually come from big cities like İstanbul, Ankara, and İzmir. But you were born in Giresun, a small city. How proud are you with yourself? How do you feel?

Alperen [4:31]: Actually I lived in İstanbul in last year and I lived in Bandirma for 6 years. I didn’t learn the “real” basketball in Giresun. I am used to living in different cities. Because of this I think I can easily adapt to the USA as well. I am ready for everything!

6) As you said, you want to make a difference like Jokic and Sabonis. Do you think that you can directly make an impact in the NBA?

Alperen [5:06]: I had a great season in Turkey and I came here because I felt that I am ready. I feel that I am ready to make an impact.

7) Can you describe your skills when you are double teamed?

Alperen [5:32]: I have the playmaking ability. I always think about passing before shooting. It has been like this since I was in the basketball academy. I think I will figure it out here.

8) Do you see yourself having a dynamic with Wood? What international flavor can you bring to the city of Houston?

Alperen [7:03]: As I said European players started to become more successful in the recent years. I will try to bring that basketball here and make a difference in my team. I usually adapt very quickly to my team. I have little bit of a problem when it comes to my English, but I am sure that I will figure it out when I move here. I will try to adapt to my team quickly. Until now I always had good relationships with my teammates. I will try to have the same here.

9) Have you been able to speak with Houston?

Alperen [8:21]: My agent told me he has been communicating with Houston. I didn’t have any workouts for them, but they were always in contact with my agent.
    Show less

burlesk, BigShasta, Xerobull and 40 others like this.
  2. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Well done Don G!

3. DonatelloLimestone

Green and kPJ and wood are going to love playing with him. I'm excited abotu greens talent, this dude is unique enough(dare I say jokic) and excited to see how silas uses him after brinigng out great playmaking for kelly last year

4. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Thank you. Nice to read. It seemed during the introductory presser she wasn't doing well.

5. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

I can stare at her all day

6. HeyBudLetsParty

Keep the translator

7. xaos

xaos Member

Send her to the D league

8. Jontro

Jontro Member

the translator wasn't wrong, we misunderstood

burlesk, DreamShook, CXbby and 10 others like this.
  9. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

All-purr-in Shin-goon

roslolian and hakeem94 like this.
  10. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Don't you dare talk down on Deniz! If she struggles, we can get a translator for the translator!

11. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

@BamBam i gotta say da Turkish chick stole the show…smh…she so hot

HTXSportsAddict and BamBam like this.
  12. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

I still want to know what he said about Garuba. FWIW I wasn’t impressed by the translation skills during his Rockets introduction presser. She’s smokin though.

13. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Oh nice catch I didn't notice he was talking

burlesk, glimmertwins, Blatz and 7 others like this.
  14. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

He said he called Garuba after he was drafted. I'm glad they have a relationship with each other. Working together, will be very helpful for them.

roslolian and HTXSportsAddict like this.
  15. Jontro

Jontro Member

pretty sure garuba will be nothing more than a contemporary joey dorsey, and be forgotten in a few years. all the while turkish delight will be demo on steroids.

MultipleSauces, RasaqBoi and hakeem94 like this.
  16. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Usman Garuba is like Draymond Green, Dennis Rodman on defense. His lateral quickness on defense, stealing the ball, Rebounding and Shot Blocking.

17. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

Ya it is cool that they have a relationship but I want to know what Sengun thought of Garuba’s defense when they played against each other. Maybe I should try to find some clips.

18. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Wonder what language they spoke

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Don't mind me . . .. just here to see this Translator you all were talking about

Rocket River

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Wow! Thanks, @don grahamleone. I read the translation you posted before watching the video, and then couldn't make it past her response to the 1st question to Sengun. Putting it on mute was a big help! She's great to look at, I'll give her that, but not much at translating.