1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

rumors: rockets taking interest in trading for Daniel Theis

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DeBeards, Jul 31, 2021.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

2. pass_to_Hakeem

Nobody trying to tank for the next 6 years man. How fun is that?

D-rock likes this.
  3. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Honestly I just can’t get excited about free agency other than maybe bringing back some of our guys from last year for continuity. I want Sengun, Garuba, and Wood playing a ton of minutes at the 4/5. I want KJ and Tate playing most of the minutes at the 3/4. I want green playing almost all the minutes at the 2 and I want KPJ playing a ton at the point. I’m not much in favor of any move that blocks minutes for those players. Cut back Wall’s minutes, stick Christopher in the G-League, move Gordon and House for picks/assets. Maybe resign Nwaba, but other than him I don’t want to give valuable minutes to anyone that’s not part of our rebuilding strategy. This is a rebuilding year -asset accumulation and player development- that’s all I care about. If we succeed in player development the team will show improvement.

#143 Aruba77, Aug 2, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2021
    hakeem94 and D-rock like this.
  4. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

That is fair, but we'll just wait and see. I think Green is going to get a lot of shots and the Rockets will give him every opportunity to win ROY...it's just about if he makes the most of those opportunities. I'd also say that Kobe and Tmac they were a lot more raw than Green is. Not that Green will be better than those two, that would be nice, but Green I think will easily average over 11ppg when we play him. I see him averaging around 15ppg on decent shooting...I hope I'm wrong and he does way better than that but I think he's coming in as a rookie more prepared to play NBA games than Kobe and Tmac were at the time. Those were high-school guys after all.

I guess my point is though that when you are rebuilding the point is to acquire great players. Eventually, these players will simply make it impossible to tank whether we like it or not. If the point of rebuilding is to get great young players then you have to know that eventually, these young players will carry their teams to the playoffs. None of those guys, after all, start off the season wanting to be the worst team in the NBA.

5. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I honestly don't think Theis will make as big of a winning impact as you guys are making him out to be.

He'll help mentor these guys during practice and help our young bigs (Garuba and Sengun) develop their defensive strategy and game.

We will be ok.

hakeem94 likes this.
  6. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

I completely agree. I'm definitely not of the mindset that the Rockets need to be terrible this year so they can get a high pick. I would love it if the Rockets played the young guys and they lead us to the playoffs because that means we drafted a fantastic group of 19 year olds. But I think the most likely scenario is growing pains and I high pick which I'm ok with.

The whole tanking and losing thing gets confusing and twisted around. I think there is a big difference between trying to lose and trying to make win now moves. I hope the Rockets avoid win now moves while still choosing to make play good basketball moves. I don't want to run a bunch of young guys out there and let them play poor basketball all season. Some moves need to be made to make sure we have veterans on and off the court that can teach the young guys how to play NBA basketball. It might lead to a few extra wins but that good habits they establish would be well worth it imo.

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://hoopshype.com/lists/nba-int...-daniel-theis-aron-baynes-and-reggie-bullock/

Daniel Theis is expected to receive significant interest on the market from several teams, including the Rockets, Spurs, Raptors, Pistons, and Heat, league sources told HoopsHype.

There’s a belief around the league that Theis can land a four-year deal around the full mid-level exception, as previously noted on HoopsHype.

Many around the league believe the Rockets are the favorites to sign Theis. Should Theis land in Houston, the Rockets can offer Theis a four-year, $35.6 million deal if he’s acquired via a sign-and-trade deal into the Victor Oladipo traded player exception.

hakeem94 and D-rock like this.
  8. D-rock

D-rock Member

9. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

$9M per year for a guy without an obvious role on the team? Pass.

Fulgore likes this.
  10. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

I think Edwards last year gave us a good example of what to expect from a young athletic scoring rookie guard. He was really really bad early on when adjusting but eventually found his stride and put up some massive games late in the season. I do think though that Green has much much better IQ and feel than Edwards so hopefully he's less disgusting early on. Honestly think Sengun might have a better chance at ROY though. I'll probably put a little money on it if the odds are good. Imo the level of competition in the Turkish league was a bit better than the D league.

JayGoogle likes this.
  11. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

I like it. Plays good defense at a position where we don't have any good defenders or experienced players. $9MM isn't preventing the team from making major moves in the future.

ROXTXIA and D-rock like this.
  12. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

He would have an obvious role. To be our starting center, slide Christian to the 4, and let the rest of the line up work out itself.

I think for what he brings to the table, it is excellent value. Plus you lock him up at a favorable, tradeable rate, assuming he keeps up the production he's had the last few years. I'm assuming that the last year would not be guaranteed.

13. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

After being adamant about Wood being a C all season long, Silas is going to all of a sudden reverse course for….Daniel Theis? No.

Center minutes, where Theis has primarily played, are covered. I guess this type of move indicates Stone envisions him as a PF. Not out of the realm of possibility, but I think that $9M per year could be better spent elsewhere.

14. thekad

thekad Member

Better be a team option on that last year. Theis should only be signed as a future trade asset.

15. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

If Christian has not bulked up this summer and is going to continue to being thrown around like a rag doll, I would hope that Silas adjusts his thinking on this. He was playing Kelly/Christian together towards the end of the season, granted this was mostly due to not having enough players lol.

D-rock likes this.
  16. JohnWoo713

JohnWoo713 Member

Just bring back kelly on a 2 year $30m deal with a team option. Trade Gordon for an expiring and hopefully see if Knicks or clippers gamble on wall

MrButtocks likes this.
  17. kiwirocketsfan

I'm okay with paying an older veteran/mentor a decent chunk on a short term (not a 4yr deal) to teach the team how to be NBA players and play hard every night.

Names I'd be happy to see come in if they understand that's what they are here for:
    Austin Rivers
    Jeff Teague
    Trevor Ariza
    Jared Dudley
    James Johnson
    Paul Millsap
    Taj Gibson
    Ersan Ilyasova
    Robin Lopez
    Daniel Theis
    Enes Kanter
    Derrick Rose

18. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Kanter would be a decent pickup

19. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I'm not a huge fan of Theis, but $9M seems like fair value. Where would it be better spent? We have a glut of guards and wings. Theis can play defense and hit threes at the center position. I think acquiring him provides us with flexibility. Theis can either start at center this year, or be a future backup in the event that Wood is traded or Sengun is ready to start. I think at the very worst he'd still be tradeable for salary matching purposes in the future. $9M is a small part of the salary cap.

My preference would be to keep Olynyk on a one or two year deal if possible, but if we obtained Theis through a player exception and sign and traded Olynyk for another exception I'd be perfectly fine with it.

D-rock, ElPigto and jch1911 like this.
  20. jch1911

jch1911 Member

I just realized Avery Bradley was with that Fakers squad that won the 2019 - 2020 championship

Possibly be why he was traded for. He just didn't come through (Richard Sherman TM.. if you don't get the reference, Google it) like the team had hoped.