1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2021 NBA Draft; 24th overall] Rockets select Josh Christopher

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jul 29, 2021.

?

Do you like the selection of Josh Christopher?

1. YES

55.5%
  2. NO

44.5%
  1. Nook

Nook Member

Exactly. His frame and size are underrated and he also isn’t stiff, he has good athleticism side to side and can explode forward as well. Those attributes lead to being a really good defender and an opportune scorer… couple that with confidence and I can see the appeal of him as a prospect to a team like the Rockets.

2. D-rock

D-rock Member

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...topher-go-1st-2nd-round-nba-draft/5402232001/

He missed the last 11 games of the season with a back injury sustained in a Feb. 11 game against Oregon after a hard fall that came after he blocked a dunk attempt at the rim in the first half.

roslolian, Deuce, vator and 2 others like this.
  4. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

STONE YOU MAGNIFICIENT b*stard!

Tfor3, vator, jcmoon and 1 other person like this.
  5. cheke64

cheke64 Member

BossHogg713, D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  6. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

There were about 5 guys on the board I would have rather had at the time, but I'm coming around to this pick. And I don't believe this was to appease Jalen Green. I think they legitimately believe Josh Christopher was the best player available. He certainly has upside. The comments Stone made about his defensive upside were what really made me re-think this one. I had always viewed Christopher as a gunner who wasn't interested in the other side of the ball, but If he can develop into a two-way player we'll have something.

#286 Williamson, Aug 2, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2021
    joshuaao, roslolian, vator and 3 others like this.
  7. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I admittedly don't know much about this kid but if he can be a dynamic scorer coming off the bench a la Lou Williams then spending a late 1st rounder on him isn't a bad investment. The odds of turning a 1st round pick in the 20s into something of huge significance (e.g. Tony Parker, Jimmy Butler, etc) is rare but having the pick develop into a valuable role player is more of a possibility.

roslolian and D-rock like this.
  8. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

9. BigTex

BigTex Member

roslolian, D-rock and vator like this.
  10. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

While I get why some people would think his defensive potential isn't really there, I still don't understand how we can base this on what 15 games playing as a freshman? Keep in mind this is playing as a Freshman in a very strange pandemic season while some of your buddies (Jalen Green) are making $600K playing less games in the G league.

Just would be hard to be motivated to be a defensive stalwart when you know you are one and done and likely a first round pick and your college team really isn't that good. Not saying Christopher took plays off but it wouldn't surprise me if he was not playing at his best in those 15 games with max effort. He definitely seems like he wants to compete but it has got to be a weird situation this past season. Not to mention, some of his peers made a business decision to sit the rest of the season out. Of course, this was after Christopher got injured back in February but you see that some of these kids (and family members) were probably wondering why they didn't just go the G-League route to get that $600K salary like Green did. Especially after it did not affect his draft stock in anyway and may have even increased his draft stock.

At the combine and at his workout is likely where Stone, etc. saw Christopher's ability to compete at a high level on both ends of the floor. He has a sibling and even a godbrother, Tayshaun Prince, who played in the league and know what it takes to be successful in the league. I am sure the NBA is all he has ever wanted so I am not going to judge a 18-19 year old on 15 games in their freshman season on whether they are a good shooter or a good defender, etc. It seems we are forgetting that the Combine and Workouts which happened 1-2 months ago as opposed to 6-8 months ago and a lot of development can happen in that timeframe for a 19 year old. I believe that is the case here and the Rockets liked the potential they saw in Christopher's short college stint while being impressed by his improvement shown at the combine and workout. Other teams likely put too much weight in his brief college tape. That is why this is such an interesting draft for prospects. So many young talented players with very little recent tape to go off of. Will likely be several steals in this draft so let's hope the Rockets got a couple steals for themselves.

From Wikipedia so not sure if true: His brother, Patrick, played professionally, including a brief stint with the Utah Jazz of the National Basketball Association (NBA). Patrick's godbrother is former NBA player Tayshaun Prince.

hakeem94 and vator like this.
  11. vator

vator Contributing Member

I just listened to the podcast. Other notable opinions. They thought people saying this draft had 3 number 1 overall picks was hyperbole and specifically singled out Green and Mobley as guys that wouldn’t have gone number 1 in several other drafts. Mobley and Allen are a bad fit together. Jalen Suggs was the 2nd best player in the draft. When you make him make him mad, he becomes the Hulk. Stud 2 way player. Scottie Barnes is overrated because he can’t shoot or finish strong enough at the basket. Toronto messed up.

I will say coming into the draft, Miles McBride, Jaden Springer, Bones Hyland, Jared Butler, Quentin Grimes, Sharife Cooper, Jason Preston, and Cam Thomas are 8 guards projected to go higher in the draft on several mocks I looked at so it doesn’t surprise me that those guys are sticking with their boards. The gap wasn’t huge though. Josh was seen as a better prospect than probably all of those players going into the season. He only played 15 games so I don’t think he had a chance to fully hit his stride and show that natural progression of improvement that you typically see. Odds would say at least one of these guys ends up being better when you’re talking about 8 other guys, but none of them have more potential upside than Josh and I do like a couple of those guys a lot and would’ve been happy with them if they were the pick.

This is a home run swing. Some of those other guys are singles and doubles. Sometimes when you take a big cut and swing for the fences instead of just trying to make contact you end up striking out. We’ll have to wait and see.

#291 vator, Aug 2, 2021
    hakeem94 and D-rock like this.
  12. D-rock

D-rock Member

That was my initial assessment as well.

Rockets should have traded 24 + House for 2 high SRP and drafted JT Thor and Deuce McBride.

They would have been MUCH better team fits. Adding Thor and McBride would have better balanced the team play, especially on defense.

But I'm coming around to Jaygup for the chemistry fit.

And his skillset and athleticism have potential to be a very good team fit.

13. Mathloom

Mathloom Contributing Member

I think he ends up a PG and a damn good one but can also play SG. Great trio (with KPJ and Green) that can grow together.

mikenm268, hakeem94, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  14. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

He’s a boom or bust pick. At 24 it’s a low risk gamble on a 6’4.5 combo guard with a 6’9.25 wingspan. His mid range and FT% suggests he could be a better shooter in the future. Maturity is a question too. Will he be professional enough to develop with friends on the team? But I like Stone’s thinking.

D-rock and HTown_TMac like this.
  15. roslolian

roslolian Member

This is a bunch of BS. Does anybody really think Green or Mobley wouldnt go 1 vs Lamelo (shot 25% from 3 in Aus), Wiseman (played 3 games for Memphis) and Anthony Edwards (said he would quit bball if he got drafted by NFL right now)?

Nevermind those 2, Suggs woulda gone no 1 and he was taken 5th.

houston19519 likes this.
  16. vator

That was the only draft they conceded. They were saying based off of hype coming out, guys like Wiggins, Fultz, and Ayton still go number 1 over Green and Mobley. I don’t know, maybe. I personally never liked Wiggins and wasn’t enamored with Fultz. I remember making a thread a long time ago before Giannis was Giannis that he was going to be way better.

#296 vator, Aug 2, 2021
    hakeem94 and D-rock like this.
  17. vator

I agree. I would’ve been happy with that outcome as well. McBride is one of the only guards out of the other 8 that I mentioned that were projected late first/early 2nd that went after we picked Josh that I REALLY like and would’ve been still excited about in place of Gup. I like his motor and the way he plays. It’s all a crapshoot. Plus you think you can move back and still get a guy, but it doesn’t always work out. Nobody expect OKC to take Giddy at 6 and sure as hell nobody expected the Spurs to take Primo at 12! I saw mocks with him going in the 2nd round. Take your guy.

#297 vator, Aug 2, 2021
    Moe, zeeshan2, hakeem94 and 1 other person like this.
  18. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

So they say the notion that Green and Mobley would go first in another draft is hyperbole, then concede they would go first in another draft? Bold.

19. vator

I made this thread in July of 2014 saying pretty matter of factly in the 2nd post that I’d take Giannis over Wiggins. He just looked different. Some people agreed.

https://bbs.clutchfans.net/threads/611-point-guard-the-greek-freak.256879/

These guys are not finished products at 19 years old. You can even make an argument that Andrew’s first 3 years in the NBA were better than Giannis’s first 3. At the time, the Giannis that we see today was just an idea. He was coming off a rookie season where he averaged 7 points and 4 rebounds per game and Wiggins was the hotshot number 1 pick in the draft after also being highly regarded as the number 1 high school player in the country the year before. Both extremely talented and athletic, but there are levels to this. You have to look at how they move in using that athleticism and also how they play the game. What kind of motor do they have? Do they work on their game?

That said, I’m no expert, Josh may indeed flop, but from the videos I’ve watched, I like his combination of athleticism, motor, passion for the game, and work ethic more than most of the guards people say we passed over to reach for him. I see more potential in what he can be.

Rockets4Life13, D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  20. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

VERY GOOD

D-rock likes this.