1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shams - Philly offered Simmons/Thybulle + draft compensation. Did we make the right deal?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ThatBoyNick, Jan 13, 2021.

?

Which package would you have prefered?

Poll closed Jan 18, 2021.
  1. Nets package

177 vote(s)
    50.4%
  2. Phillys package

174 vote(s)
    49.6%
  1. vator

vator Contributing Member

Simmons makes more sense now than he did a few months ago for sure now that we have Jalen Green and the other guys we picked up in the draft. He doesn’t have to be the headliner anymore. He can be an elite piece like Draymond Green. He could easily take the least amount of shots out of everybody in the starting lineup and it would be perfectly ok. Facilitate, screen, rebound, defend. Morey is asking for way too much though so I doubt it happens, but I’m not as opposed to it as I was before. IF he slides to PF as I stated before.

Nemospl and D-rock like this.
  2. J.R.

J.R. Member

Has Thaddeus promised the Sixers fans fireworks yet? :D

3. roslolian

roslolian Member

Yeah like I said this may be the reason for the absurd asking price.

Maybe he doesnt want to move Simmons at all and is just stalling for time till the Philly hate blows over.

D-rock likes this.
  4. roslolian

roslolian Member

From a fit standpoint I would be opposed because at 25 Simmons is in the same phase as Wood, he wants to win now. If you get Simmons then Rox should be done with tanking and be trying to compete with Wood/Simmons frontcourt otherwise what is the point of getting him? To suck less but still suck anyway? Lol.

Maybe Rox can trade Green for Simmons and then trade Sengun and Garuba for win now guys like Caris Levert or Landry Shamet.

5. vator

[​IMG]

I don’t agree with any of the second paragraph, but yes getting Simmons is a non tanking trade. I think playing him at the 4 would result in good things on the floor in tandem with our other guys. It’s not like this would be the finished product. He could be a piece. Simmons as a cog in the machine instead of being relied on as the franchise player is fine. He’d literally be a 4th option at best offensively in regards to shot attempts behind Wood, Green, and KPJ.

#1305 vator, Aug 1, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
    D-rock likes this.
  6. D-rock

D-rock Member

Simmons by himself will not do any more or less than Wall.

Kids still have to develop for team to take next step.

7. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Hell... Ben Simmons can develop and grow with them. Let's not act like this guy still isn't scared to shoot at times.

Deckard, BigShasta and D-rock like this.
  8. D-rock

D-rock Member

Enter, stage left: John Lucas

Cstyle42 and Rudyc281 like this.
  9. vator

Simmons allows you to start KPJ, Green, and Tate. Doing so with Wall means small ball.

D-rock likes this.
  10. D-rock

D-rock Member

Exactly!

But replacing Simmons with Wall doesnt make Rockets a championship contender.

Not until Green, Sengun, Garuba and the other kids develop more.

Rockets will win more than 17 games with Simmons, but not a ton more.

Perhaps with some luck, maybe contend for play in.

Maybe.

Dobbizzle and vator like this.
  11. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Look, conceptually, I'd be lying if I said this lineup wouldn't be intriguing.

KPJ
    Green
    Tate
    Simmons
    Wood

Realistically, though, come on. I can't imagine it happening.

Denovo, D-rock, vator and 1 other person like this.
  12. CVcrew

CVcrew Contributing Member

All comes down to cost. If it’s a swap, sure. If it costs future draft picks. No thanks!

13. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

I actually think it's crazy people wouldn't swap Simmons for Wall and a couple of future BKN picks. I'd do that in a heartbeat. Another ball handler, great defender, all star calibre talent and we also move Wall? People need to get over this "timeline" bullshit already. Wood and Simmons are 25, our rookies are a few years younger. In 2 years with more time to develop we'd have 2 all star level players without even needing the rookies to get there. If we hit on only 1 of KP, KJ, Green, Garuba, Sengun or Christopher getting there too, that's a team. If we hit on more than one of those guys being all star quality, then we simply trade away the older/worse fit guys whilst retaining the ones we want to run with and it's still a team. We don't need an entire roster of people the exact same age, that's lunacy. Wood and Simmons would both fit great timelines with our current rookies. The hope would be that our rookies become even better, then we wouldn't even have to do an awful lot to be contenders for a long time. The rookies are the unknown/uncertain part of the plan, Simmons, much like Wood is a known factor even if he doesn't improve one bit.

This is the same forum that was acting like Tyler Herro was the second coming. Crazy as ****.

D-rock and rhee like this.
  14. dmoneybangbang

The time for Simmons has passed for the Rockets IMO. We really have no idea of how good we are, but I'd bet we are still in the bottom third. It doesn't make a bunch of sense to flip the switch and start trying competing with Simmons. Take our lumps the next two seasons while its advantageous to accumulate young draft picks.

CVcrew likes this.
  15. DonatelloLimestone

I think woods and simmons would be good, good enough to get us out of the tank .Even Russ is one of the best floor raisers that he can take a team to the play in. But the wet is already 8 deep and the chances of that going anywhere are unlikely. But with our current situations we keep that draft capital you suggest, give our young guys a lot of opportunity to develop and learn and grow, and then also get an amazing pick in a high quality draft which leads us with another cornerstone.

I do agree that the timeline thing is overblown, its just a matter of talent and then the ddirection and right now we're in year 1 of the rebuild but we have the pieces for the foundation hopefulyl one more this kcoming summer.

16. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

But you're assuming that Simmons can play as a 4 and/or without the ball in his hands
    I bet he can't do either.

I'm sure if he wanted to, he could be a devastating wing OR a face up4, but he doesn't even want to take an open layup or work on his shot.

luckyman76 likes this.
  17. D-rock

D-rock Member

John Lucas

18. D-rock

D-rock Member

19. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

If I had to trade toxic contracts I'd trade Wall for Harris just for the size swap alone. I want nothing to do with Ben Simmons.

luckyman76 and steddinotayto like this.
  20. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I think people that are changing their tune about Simmons because we now have Green forgets that you want your 5 best players in the game during crunch time and if one of those players can't score (or, rather, can't shoot) you are basically giving the opposition an advantage in how they defend. Teams right now see little value in picking Simmons up on the defensive end unless he's like 10 feet or closer to the basket and, thus, will sag off of him, making driving lanes harder to come by for the rest of the team. So now you will have the same dilemma that the Sixers faced this past season--do you gamble by keeping Simmons in for his defense and hope the rest of the team can carry him offensively....or do you sit him out for a better offensive player even though he's one of your best players? I, quite frankly, don't want to have that problem, especially if it's at the tune of over $30 million a year.