1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Future debate : Christopher vs Grimes

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Aug 1, 2021.

?

Will the Rockets regret getting Christopher over Grimes ?

1. Yes

44 vote(s)
    28.9%
  2. No

93 vote(s)
    61.2%
  3. They will end up even

15 vote(s)
    9.9%
  1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

D-rock likes this.
  2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I doubt it Grimes doesn’t seem like an NBA caliber player

Probably will regret not picking someone else due to the shear odds of one of the 35 guys other guys picked after him panning out.

3. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

I think the goal is to pick the rawest players with the highest upside, that gives you the highest ceiling and also importantly means you will be the worst in the upcoming 2 years so you will have the best draft pick in the next two years meaning drafting the best talent. I think that's the game. Also this kid JC seems like he's got an NBA body and perhaps they are being honest that they want him for his defensive ability, rather than grimes when we already have two scoring guards.

Trackwell, D-rock, ROCK3TM4N and 2 others like this.
  4. roslolian

roslolian Member

The Rox wont regret it cuz both are fringe NBA players. Unless QG turns into a superstar then maybe Rockets will regret it.

I think other players might be worth regretting than QG, high ceiling picks like Jaden Springer JT Thor, EJ Onu, Isiah Todd etc Although tbh JC himself was a 5 star recruit last year so maybe he has high ceiling as well.

HTXSportsAddict and Ottomaton like this.
  5. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

Go coogs… but I will be rooting for both - more importantly the total outcome of all
    4 of our rookies

6. tinman

Supporting Member

Hints at chemistry with Green and Porter Jr

Dacamel, Ramo$e, lionaire and 5 others like this.
  7. tinman

Supporting Member

It’s great that they will play
    Unlike the D’Antoni era

Dacamel, Ramo$e, DeBeards and 4 others like this.
  8. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

I would say no just based on the fact that Quentin Grimes is 2 years older. JC will be halfway though his contract before he reaches the age Grimes is now.

We’re drafting for upside, so good with the younger player with more upside.

9. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

chances of late first round pick earning a second NBA contract is pretty slim.

in that sense it doesn't REALLY matter who they picked. I was hoping for guys with high upside that would surprise us. I don't care about low floors as I said most guys in that range aren't in the nba after their rookie deal anyway.

with that said I think emphatically yes jaygup was the correct choice... not because he's was the best player left, not because of anything basketball related honestly. he's close with green. that's worth the pick. that's it.

the goal for the 24th pick isn't making the rotation or becoming a starter one day. the goal is keeping green happy and in Houston. similar to the bucks signing Gianni's brother. would he be in the league if Giannis wasn't a superstar? jaygup's only real job is to get green to sign that max extension 4 years from now. if he can do that he'll earn his next contract too.

vator and hakeem94 like this.
  10. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'll try to leave out UH & Rockets bias....:eek:

I wanted Quentin going in..prototypical "2" guard...killed everyone at the combine. And, in those games I had mixed emotions about JC. But, here's the deal...didn't know he was 19....also wasn't aware of the Lucas connection....Of course I saw more of his game from the vids...didn't realize he was a one man fast break ..lightning quick..good handles/big finisher...a scorer..a shot maker who has a streaky J, that should eventually be pretty solid. A dude with BIG defensive potential. This kid's likely going to end up 6' 6" or 6' 7", while putting on lbs/muscle too... With these skills If all that isn't enough, Josh has a HUGE personality...a good dude, who knows how to handle himself. ++++ for the locker room/team. Add in the fact his links to Jalen, and how can we not take him. That was Stone's plan all along.
    I love Q, and am proud of him. I see his absolute upside as solid NBA starter. Floor - solid rotation player.
    Josh on the other hand.....could shoot the moon, but likely ends up somewhere in between/close to Quentin.
    So much upside!!

D-rock, Shark44, Sonicbun8 and 10 others like this.
  11. tinman

Supporting Member

Tape shows off quickness

cbass and vator like this.
  12. Juxtaposed Jolt

If Grimes went to any other school besides UH, would there even be a thread about this?

13. DasouthDakota

DasouthDakota Rookie

like this pick better than grimes. High upside. Could really be a steal

vator likes this.
  14. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

And, Josh's skills TRANSLATE really well to the modern NBA.

D-rock, xaos, vator and 1 other person like this.
  15. Mr Woods

Mr Woods Member

Josh Christopher over Jaden Springer is the real debate.

16. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

Josh Christopher is one of my favorite rockets now!

17. DonatelloLimestone

thought you didn't value role players...Ariza's worthless during contention, even for 7 million

but cheap rookie contracts? Tinman/Tilman Likes lol

tilman only fans strike again[​IMG]

D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  18. vator

vator Contributing Member

Grimes may be in the league for a very long time and make a lot of money, but what’s his ceiling? To me if he puts it all together and maximizes his potential he’s a 3 and D guy. Maybe something along the lines of a Danny Green. His calling card at UH was shooting and defense so I think that comp maximizes the things we know him to be good at on the college level. He’s coming out as a junior and he probably doesn’t even get drafted at all as a freshman or sophomore. He left Kansas because they gave his scholarship spot to somebody else.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-b...-quentin-grimes-thriving-houston?platform=amp

Jaygup just has more upside. Better handle, more explosive, better at getting to the rim, stronger body, more length, better passer. He could develop into a role as a secondary ball-handler and distributer. I don’t see that as something Grimes could do at this time. Now he isn’t the knockdown shooter Grimes has become though so Grimes has a clearer path to sticking in the NBA by just knocking down open 3 pointers and playing defense. If this was our Hardencentric veteran team, Grimes would be the pick, but not with this group. Go for the guy you think may have an outside chance of being more of an impact player. 3 and D guys are more easily attainable.

19. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

it was the correct choice. You can gain skill, but not athletiscm.

D-rock, vator and hakeem94 like this.
  20. DasouthDakota

DasouthDakota Rookie

Jaden Springer will be a role player at best.

Christopher has star potential. Sometimes you have to draft based on potential. His floor is a role player.

vator likes this.