1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Poll] Do we re-sign Olynyk now?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Jul 30, 2021.

?

Do we re-sign Olynyk?

1. Yes

123 vote(s)
    57.5%
  2. No

91 vote(s)
    42.5%
  1. amaru

amaru Member

They were never going to.

DonatelloLimestone likes this.
  2. Denovo

Denovo Member

This is why I don’t want to add on court Vets. Lose organically with 19 year olds playing heavy minutes but play to win. We’ll have a high draft pick and develop our players at the same time.

jcmoon likes this.
  3. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I'm not gonna lie the thought of Olynyk and Sengun going back in forth in practice makes me smile

I think Kelly could be a great mentor for both Sengun and Garuba, Wood is great but he seems like a very young personality, hasn't had a lot of rep in the NBA, Kelly's a pro who's played over 12k minutes, was in the finals, spent 3 years at Gonzaga, also plays for the Canadian national team

In all honesty, I'd trade Wood for a future pick and re-sign Olynyk.

4. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Nice if we can, because the speed and strength of the NBA will be too
    great for either Garuba/Sengun to get starter minutes in year one.

Losing 165 to 80 (on average) will get us stripped of our membership and demoted
    to G-league affiliate status.

Sengun and Garuba give the Rockets some leverage; but not much.
    Would be worse if the Rockets had no big men other than C Wood.

ball is in Olynyk's court........Daniel Theis please stand by

#84 ApacheWarrior, Jul 30, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
  5. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Olynyk is one of our best players. I would pay him a decent amount but not too much! Y

6. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

Gasol? He has an eternal rift with the Rockets that stems back to the 2009 Playoffs just like Fisher.

7. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Soon...

Deckard, DM'sVP, D-rock and 3 others like this.
  8. GOOGOOMECHUCK

GOOGOOMECHUCK Member

I hope. Seems like a great teammate.

9. roslolian

roslolian Member

This is gonna sound dumb but I value Olynk more than CWood.

The reason is Olynk is just healthier. If you look at his games played he is always in the high 60s games played.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/o/olynyke01.html

In contrast Wood has barely played every season his entire career. Now Wood looks sexy but that's only cuz we are paying him a bargain contract, in 2 years he will want the max. So if you ask me Olynk just gives the team more value. Yeah he is worse than Wood, but he is also more dependable and a solid vet who can guide the young core.

Fertita should resign Olynk unless he gets a dumb expensive offer from somebody else, we need an insurance policy for CWood and tbh look to make CWood expandable as well.

Crashlanded19 and pippendagimp like this.
  10. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

We should offer him a contract, but allow him to see if he can get more on the market. Let him get paid. If not, he can come back for whatever amount they agreed upon.

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://hoopshype.com/lists/nba-rumors-lauri-markkanen-nerlens-noel-lou-williams-kelly-olynyk/

The Detroit Pistons have interest in signing center Kelly Olynyk in free agency following the trade of Mason Plumlee to Charlotte, league sources told HoopsHype.

Some around the league believe Olynyk could command between the full mid-level exception and $12 million annually on the market.

Olynyk thrived with an expanded role in 27 games for the Rockets. Olynyk averaged 19 points on 54.5 percent shooting from the field and 39.2 percent from beyond the arc. He added 8.4 rebounds, 4.1 assists, and 1.4 steals per game for good measure.

12. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Thanks for reporting this, @J.R.

I hope we do a S&T to Indiana instead (just to spite the Pi$$ed-ons)

Do S&T Olynyk to Indiana for 3 years, $53Mish ($16.8, $17.64, $18.52) - 1st year guaranteed, 2nd year TO, 3rd year - PO) + Eric Gordon + future FRP for Myles Turner & Jeremy Lamb (can re-route Lamb to a 3rd team who could send an asset to Indiana)

Rox get defensive force who fits our timeline and Indiana becomes top 4 team in East

win - win - win

hakeem94 likes this.
  13. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I don't understand why Indiana would trade Myles for Kelly. I really don't.

14. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Kelly + EGo + FRP... and to be fair, what has the Sabonis / Turner combo got them thus far?

Kelly really showed out with Htown this past year IJS

15. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

44 million to John Wall.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  16. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

For 9-12 mill a season thats and easy easy choice to re-sign.

I cant see why we pass on bringing him back at that price. Offer him a declining 4/48, or a 2/30

ArtV and DonatelloLimestone like this.
  17. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Kelly produced nice numbers on a losing team. Myles is a good defender and a decent shot maker. I'm not saying Myles/Sabonis should stay together, but trading him for Kelly makes no sense. Not even EG makes sense to me although I'd like to believe it makes sense. Myles is a much more attractive asset.

DonatelloLimestone likes this.
  18. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Why hasn't he been moved yet then? Teams don't have the assets Pacers want OR they are not willing to give them up for Turner... just look at this draft day... perfect opportunity but NADA

Kelly also helped Heat into the Championship the year before.... this year they got eliminated in 4 games straight... Kelly was the X-factor IMHO... he has been slept on, but NBA execs gotta know his worth... Pat Riley was going for the splash (and Oladipo got hurt)

19. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I've never heard of a contract like that. 2nd year a TO and 3rd year a PO. Has that ever happened before?

20. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Don't think so... it was a suggestion.... so each has some control
    If it ain't working out in the 2nd year, Olynyk can be cut by IND // If he is putting in the work, he gets rewarded
    That 3rd year, lets Olynyk have some control back if he has been a good player for two years.
    Once again, just a thought