1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Where does Giannis rank all-time following the 2021 NBA Finals?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by HardenVolumeOne, Jul 24, 2021.

1. HardenVolumeOne

yes a player of hardens talent is basically the best friend to a cheap owner, he can make all the plays and elevate mediocre talent to 50 wins when he is engaged. On the other hand if you surround him with a legit partner like cp3 he can lead your team to a potential 70 win season. Harden showed that his game is multi-dimensional this year on the nets when his usage was under 29% for the season and he still averaged 25/11/8 on 46/36/87. Harden was forced to play iso ball because the surrounding parts werent great( and that includes russell wesbrook)

2. wekko368

wekko368 Member

A star guard would probably prefer a guy who can consistently hit an open 12 footer, especially in clutch situations.

Also, I don't think Harden would've liked Draymond Green "stealing" all his assists.

3. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Thats true. I remember the great Harden temper tantrum he threw about CP3 being 6th in assist in the NBA in 2017/2018. He was real mad.

Then when he was forced to go to Brooklyn where he didn’t want to go at all because he knew his numbers would dip he beat up innocent make a wish children in a rage.

4. wekko368

wekko368 Member

You mean where he averaged the 2nd highest assist total of his career? Yeah, his numbers took a real beating.

5. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Yes I forgot 34 points per game = 24 points per game.

My apologies.

6. wekko368

wekko368 Member

So you forgot about assists. No worries. Everyone makes mistakes.

7. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

You are right.

Harden has always talked about dreaming to be the assist king. And that he would accept no one else making plays on his teams.

He would be super mad about losing his assist numbers but has no problem dropping his scoring by 10 points.

it’s just logical.

8. wekko368

wekko368 Member

It is. Most players care about their stats. Thanks for acknowledging that.

9. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

You are right.

The stat NBA players worry the least about is by far points.

He could go from scoring 34 per game down to 0 and be just fine.

But his assists drop by even 1 and my lord. He might kill someone.

10. Fefo

Fefo Member

just my opinion. He always came short at the big stage. He was unbelievable durable and consistent in the regular season, and thats really great too. But he is nowhere near the top 15, as those guys are all champion and mvps, coming big in big moments.

11. HardenVolumeOne

Oscar Robertson and jerry west only have 1 ring a piece and are universally seen as top 15 players of all time
    Karl Malone has 2 mvps, 11 first team all nba selections and 4 1st team all defense selections.

12. H.D.

H.D. Member

1. Arnold Schwarzenegger
    2. Brian Bosworth
    3. Mark McGwire
    4. Barry Bonds
    5. Giannis
    6. Bryson DeChambeau
    7. Sylvester Stallone

oh, wait- you meant Basketball, not Steroids

13. Fefo

Fefo Member

first of all, 1 ring vs 0 its a big difference, means you actually won it.
    Oscar is top 15 for most people, im not sure jerry west is a universal top 15 guy.
    I know all the numbers by malone and his accolade. Great regular season player, always short in the playoffs. To me the top 15 are the best of the best and i dont see malone there.

added edition: By no means i think malone sucked, he was a great player and an all time great, he just wasnt a top 15 guy

14. HardenVolumeOne

so according to skip bayless James harden is his 19th ranked player of all time. So a ring would make him top 15 then. Harden has the win share total, vorp total, and career win share per 48 of a top 20 player through his age 31 season in nba history. So if harden is one of 15 guys on a title team to win a ring in your eyes he somehow jumps 5 spots lol

15. Fefo

Fefo Member

I am skip bayless? I dont have harden in the top 30. Same as malone, lots of stats in the regular season, choker in the playoffs. And again, awesome player, but he is nowhere the rank where he would be if he was great in the playoffs too.

16. HardenVolumeOne

sorry then you don’t know basketball

stats are their to rank players, how else would you do it. “Eye test”

17. Fefo

Fefo Member

i think you are clueless if you think harden is so great. He is waay more talented than a lot of players that are ahead of him in the all time list, but he doesnt have the heart or the head to do it. Ill take a player like isiah thomas 20 out 20 over harden, even if his "stats" are worst. That guy was not scared and will deliver on the biggest games, while harden will look from the bench while his team saves him from elimination, or get blocked by a 42 year guard , or get blown out by the kwahi less spurs, etc. He is a choker, stats dont tell the whole story, you have to watch some basketball to know what happened.
    Im not going to turn this post into a another harden post, so feel free to think what you want about him, but i saw Malone crumble at the biggest moments and come short time and time again, so even if his stats are great, he was incredible durable and played for 20 seasons, i dont have him in the top 25.

18. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Stats contribute to the rankings. You also have to consider impact, awards, championships, strength of teammates relative to the league at the time, playoff outperformance/underperformance, etc...