1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

This should be our Next Move!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Trackwell, Jul 30, 2021.

1. Trackwell

Trackwell Member

It was one of the biggest draft blunders in recent memory... Fultz forgetting how to shoot was nuts as well

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  2. Trackwell

Trackwell Member

Good take-
    I hope your right.
    Personally , I would rather have an extra pick in next years lottery with maybe a top 3 protection, while also dropping our win total into the teens... if we can do that , well
    Even if we don’t hit a ping pong ball - we still will be sitting around 5 or 6 at worst case scenario ...

I want our 4 rookies with Tate and Porter and KMJ To get a Lotta run...

I’m cool with sending whoever down to the G league as well

3. Trackwell

Trackwell Member

I completely agree that we don’t want to be the ones paying him. I know that!

And if that’s the case-
    Well then he’s obviously not part of our long-term strategy in my eyes. He’s not the big you give a max contract to

4. Trackwell

Trackwell Member

I think we should be positioning ourselves to be at the top of the draft for the next two drafts that’s all I ever said

That’s the goal

There’s a lot of intriguing talent at the top of the next two drafts, And we own our draft picks

Stone has shown that he can scout talent
    I think he could do a lot of damage at the top of the draft for the next two years

And I don’t wanna develop 6 superstars Simultaneously - But that would be a great problem to have ... I don’t think we have six or seven superstars on this roster currently constructed

I think we just have intriguing talent we’ll see what happens

bigreg likes this.
  5. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

I believe we have a potential SUPERSTAR player(Green), three potential stars(Wood, Porter and Sengun)......we need some serious player development and no injuries......please

6. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

This would be my opinion...

'Tanking' another year to try to add another talent is alluring...
    but whose to say the guy you add doesnt turn out to be a bust - while a year got wasted not pushing guys and working to develop that winning culture...

Imo... do yer best... if the wheels come off the cart, pack it in and play for the draft...

Last year we entered the season in total turmoil... perfectly understandable to lick our wounds and try to stockpile some assets...

but to spend another year trying to underachieve - pass...

Dobbizzle and Trackwell like this.
  7. Trackwell

Trackwell Member

I didn’t say anything about underachieving. I want the players that we put out there to go all out and try to win obviously

I want management to put the players in a position where it’s really hard to win

Hence trading Christian Wood..

It’s not that I don’t like Christian, I just think we raise this teams potential ceiling by Trading Christian for draft compensation and more importantly a higher draft pick of our own

8. JD88

JD88 Member

The Spurs were an A+ franchise for 20 years, never tanked. Built a culture, didn't chase FA's...

Winning solves everything.

If you win, everything else will fall into place.

9. Reeko

Reeko Member

definitely agree that we need to be as bad as possible next year…2022-23 season is when I’ll be less focused on getting a good lotto pick and will want to see the team competing

#3 is the main reason I wouldn’t mind a CW trade…Wood is Nikola Vucevic tier as a big, and I don’t see him surpassing that…I’d prefer keeping our salary as low as possible for free agency than using a large chunk of it to sign a Vucevic level big who while a nice player, isn’t really a huge difference maker…Wood over the course of 53 starts with Detroit and Houston has a record of 13-40 despite averaging around 21 and 9 on high efficiency in those starts

I’m sure Wood would make more of an impact on a great team like BK who could use a legit big, the Clippers, etc…but that won’t be our situation when we’re handing him big money 2 years from now

KPJr, Green, another high lotto pick in 2022, plus a ton of cap space is what I want to see us working with

Trackwell likes this.
  10. Nero

Nero Member

Excuse me... just how many players of ours would you like to be hitting FA at the same time exactly? ALL of the players on the team?

The Rox situation last year was a unique situation, because Harden put them in a position where the only thing they could do was fail.

If you are in THAT position, then yeah, you go ahead and dive as deep as you can in the hopes you will be able to snag enough talent to get better more quickly.

We DID that - now we are in the 'get better quickly' mode, not the 'perpetual tanking mode'...DUH.

Tanking when you don't HAVE to is for losers. Losers can go to Utah or Washington or Charlotte or New Orleans or somewhere like that.

kjayp likes this.
  11. Reeko

Reeko Member

all that winning and culture that San Antonio did was built primarily on the back of Tim Duncan, the guy they tanked for

look at them now…Pop can’t get them a playoff spot

bigreg and Trackwell like this.
  12. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

13. Trackwell

Trackwell Member

My goal is to get one Of these 4 players over the next two years. Chet , Banchero , Bates or Wembyamba ...

If we can land one of these players and holy **** if we could get two ...

Now we’re really talking about some crazy talent And with wall and Gordon coming off the books we would have money to bring in a top 10 player in the world on a max contract not named Christian

We would be enticing if green pans out and we hit on one of these others.

We’ll see what we have with all this other intriguing talent and see who falls where and what role...

This is a big pivotal step in the rebuild

BossHogg713 likes this.
  14. Trackwell

Trackwell Member

I couldn’t agree more awesome take per usual

Reeko and BossHogg713 like this.
  15. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Even If we had the worst record in the league for an additional 2 straight years, there is a huge possibility we miss on all of these guys.

16. Trackwell

Trackwell Member

There’s a risk in everything

Chet Holmgren is a franchise changing prospect
    Victor Wembyemba Is going to be a franchise changing prospect
    Emoni Bates Is a franchise changing prospect possibly

There’s more than just these three this class is deep again

17. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Why? It makes absolutely no sense to give up a center of Wood's ability and age for draft capital that may become nothing. Have you not seen the teams who've been "tanking" for over a decade and got nowhere with multiple high draft picks? Just collecting picks and losing to draft high over and over is a 1 way ticket to being a worse team, not a better one.

kjayp likes this.
  18. Trackwell

Trackwell Member

Bates and Wembyemba are two years out.

19. Trackwell

Trackwell Member

I’m talking about a two-year stretch While we’re stuck with wall
    The Talent looks incredible

20. conquistador#11

They didn't tank for Duncan. They went into that season with David Robinson comig off another 56 win season. It just so happens he got hurt not even 10 games in, then decided to put him in bubble wrap after the broken foot. The back and the broken foot were legit injuries that year. I'm more than good with that style of "tanking". . But going to a season with the mentality of purposely tanking, that's a no for me. That's opening a big can of bad juju. It has to happen naturally.

Dobbizzle likes this.