1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2021 NBA Draft; 16th overall] Rockets select Alperen Sengun

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jul 29, 2021.

?

Do you like the selection of Alperen Sengun?

1. YES

95.1%
  2. NO

4.9%
  1. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

so are we figuring since the Wiz dished WB their frp is no longer as alluring? lol

hakeem94 likes this.
  2. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

i agree its about where the player was taken...

but if you want to be amused though... go dig up the thread with the approval rating when we acquired Ty Lawson... it was like 95% or better... and we know how that turned out... lol

3. s3ts

s3ts Member

I'm not expecting great player development by the Rockets front office.

Feels like a bigger Kostas Papanikolaou who can finish really really well in the post. Higher upside, sure, but it takes an organization investing in these players to see that come to fruition. Rockets have not been that franchise.

I see him being ultimately traded. Shooting will not go away, and post players will be frowned upon even in the post-Bucks Chip era. I'm hoping I'm wrong here, though.

Trackwell, saleem and hakeem94 like this.
  4. Big Uns

Big Uns Member

Dan Langhi status?!!!!??

topfive likes this.
  5. Smacktle

Smacktle Contributing Member

We should call him Biggun

hakeem94 and Rudyc281 like this.
  6. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Im not looking at anything the wrong way Green could easily be #1

7. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Welcome to CF Sengun! I visited Izmir many years ago and was captivated by the city and its people--truly a spirited country! We like to nickname our players or at least shorten their names and I wonder if "Alp" which I believe means brave or hero in Turkish would be appropriate for our new stud big man. What do you think?

8. Sengun

Sengun Member

Thank you. Turkey is still a beautiful country. But because of the current government (you know who I mean) and their policies, it has become more disreputable than before and foreign people are now negative towards it. I hope these days will pass and things will get better in the future. I know you like to shorten the names of the players. In Turkey, a guy who has Alperen name people usually call as Alp. That's why Alp can be a good choice. But from what I saw at the press conference yesterday, Rafael Stone preferred to call him Alpi (Alpy). That sounds good too. All that aside, I hope one day we'll all call him MVP.

9. anchel

anchel Member

Welcome, Sengun.

There's been a lot of discussion with his real size... Do you know what his current size is? Height on shoes, wingspan, reach.

How would you compare him to Enes Kanter defensively? Best position? Is he longer? Quicker? More athletic? I'm from Spain and compare him physically with Willy Hernangomez, considering Alperen a little bit lighter on feet, maybe longer and more athletic.

Obviously the guy is superskilled and I'm sure even will develope more face to the basket game.

10. CXbby

CXbby Member

On the contrary...

Drift Monkey and hakeem94 like this.
  11. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

12. Sengun

Sengun Member

Thanks. I think his current height is between 6"9 and 6"10. Maybe he'll reach 6"10 with shoes, but I'm not sure. Assuming he's only just turned 19, he'll definitely get a few inches longer. I think his wingspan is close to that too. It's not that wide. At least he doesn't have arms as long as Garuba. Kanter was incredibly dominant in defense when he was in the junior group. Therefore, it is not possible to compare Alperen's current defense ability with that of Kanter when he was at Alperen's age. That's why Kanter was drafted 3rd overall. As I said before, it is not possible for Alperen to match the athletic short players in the NBA right now. But, Alperen is an average help defender. If he gets some help around the ring, he won't do bad job on defense. While in Turkey, he was always a serious block threat against opponents. Actually, although I don't think he can sustain it in the NBA because he's not very tall now (he'll play against much taller players than him), BUT, I also think he can keep it up thanks to his extraordinarily developed sensity and position knowledge.

At the moment, I think Alperen can give the best performance at center. But he should definitely play with a supporting player like Wood or Garuba. For my idea, he should be to play alongside Garuba. Garuba is a great and elite defender. His arms are incredibly long and he can easily take short players in front of him. You can compensate for Alperen's weakness against short players in the painted-area with a defensive monster like Garuba. Actually, I was saying this when everyone was comparing Jokic and Alperen. Alperen's only similarity to Jokic is his ability to distribute passes like Jokic (obviously not as elite as Jokic). If there's a player Alperen looks like, it's none other than Sabonis. Just as the Pacers have both Sabonis and Myles Turner on the court at the same time, well the Rockets need to keep Alperen and Wood or Garuba on the field at the same time.

As for his speed and athleticism, he is not slow. If a player who can run the whole full court like a guard, I can not say he is slow. I watched Ivica Zubac, Brook Lopez, Alex Len etc. and I can not say this kid is slow. People who say Alperen is slow based on the highlights videos they watch on the internet are wrong. Watch this (at 1:15):

On offense and post plays, his feet are pretty quick. It's something he can improve even more with this extra endurance trainings anyway. But I can't stand to see him being treated like a junk car for his athleticism right now.

All these things I have told are related to his performance in Turkey this year. After coming to the NBA, he can do worse or better. I do not know. But he's had a really great season here and I want him to take this there. His biggest chance is that he is very young and open to development. It's worth noting that Embiid started playing two years after being drafted at age 20 in 2014, Giannis averaged 6-7 points in his first year when drafted at age 19, or that Sabonis was slowly increasing his performance after a lousy rookie year in Oklahoma.

13. Sengun

Sengun Member

To be honest, I thought he would be selected from the lottery. It didn't occur to me that Houston get him, but if two first-round picks were sacrificed for him, it shows he's really wanted. After he was drafted, he said in interview that his manager was in contact with Houston already. Maybe Houston wanted to pick him all along, but we didn't know about it.

As a result, I was very happy that he came here because he was so warmly welcomed here. I've been following this draft class for a long time and when I read the forums of other teams Alperen could go to, I was sad to see that they didn't want him. You cannot succeed where you are not wanted. Houston wanted him and got him. Glad to see that Houston fans are mostly happy. This will contribute to his development. Also, maybe not being chosen from the lottery might be better because it would ease the pressure on him.

14. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I admit that I have trouble with the “economical” aspects of the trade. It kind of seems like trading $1000 that you’ll have in 2023 and another $1000 you’ll have in 2025 for $1000 now. No doubt it’s more exciting to have that immediate gratification of getting the money now. If he becomes anything less than a bonafide long term starter, then you’d probably have to call the trade a bust. That being said, I do have high hopes for the guy.

raining threes likes this.
  15. JD88

JD88 Member

Investors do it all the time.

I buy and sell options, and it is literally how you described it but...

I can turn the $1000 I have now into $5000 in three years for the price of paying $1000 in a year and $1000 in two years.

So I made +$3000.

I could also lose that money, but if I was worried about that, I wouldn't have done it in the first place.

16. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Are Sengun and Garuba the new Juwan and Chuck?

17. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Just to keep up the analogy, I think a rich or well-off person wouldn't have to worry about it. A dirt poor person probably should worry about it.

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

This kid’s 18 years old? Amazing.
    (I hope he keeps his interpreter around!)

upload_2021-7-31_11-40-6.jpeg

AroundTheWorld and Rudyc281 like this.
  20. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

On the other hand, I didn't expect either of the 2 picks that we traded to be any good at all. I wouldn't be surprised if no 1st rounders are ever conveyed. Even if they are, they will be at least in the 20s in a mystery draft that probably won't be as deep as this one was. I'm really surprised that OKC went for that trade.

I'm actually happy that those draft picks are away from us and were used for something tangible. Those draft picks felt like fool's gold, like pining away for Llull. I kept picturing them being garbage throw-ins to some very minor deal down the line.

AroundTheWorld and jakedasnake like this.