1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2021-2022 Expectations?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaneB, Jul 31, 2021.

?

What Will Be Our Seed In the Western Conference Next Season?

Poll closed Oct 29, 2021.
  1. 6

4.8%
  2. 7

1.0%
  3. 8

2.9%
  4. 9

5.8%
  5. 10

6.7%
  6. 11

5.8%
  7. 12

24.0%
  8. 13

18.3%
  9. 14

15.4%
  10. 15

15.4%
  1. DaneB

DaneB Member

What are our expectations this next season and what will be our record be in the Western Conference? We’re kind of an unusual team in that we weren’t completely devoid of talent last season. It was more that we were hampered by injuries all season long so couldn’t ever get any consistency. Towards the end of the year, literally nobody was healthy so we needed to fill positions with players who weren’t quite NBA level. This year we definitely won’t be a joke anymore if we’re healthy. There will be good team camaraderie. I don’t think we will make the playoffs, but would not be surprised if we’re in the play in tournament at #10. Should be a hell of a lot more entertaining season for sure!

clos4life likes this.
  2. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

12 seed sounds about right. I realistically like to be competing for another top pick, however, I don't want us to develop a loser mentality with these young guys, so hope we are fighting a ton of close games. Hopefully it won't be the joke this past season was that we would get down 20 every game by half time lol. Silas needs to get his **** together and not let that happen again.

Hakeemtheking, 7uche, DCHAMP and 9 others like this.
  3. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

a lot depends on whether we resign KO and retain EGO. if both happen and wood plays the entire season and KPJ shines i could see us in the 7th to 9th seed

4. MystikArkitect

Next year should focus on defense. Wood/KPJ/Green/Sengun/Tate is a talented but flawed core. Theyre really young and would be the worst defensive core in the league. Garuba would help immensely like Scottie Barnes does. Defensive intensity is contagious.

Offensively Green needs to learn to play in control, Garuba needs to learn to play, and Sengun needs to practice his jump shooting.

Wood: 22/10
    KPJ: 18/7
    Green: 20/3
    Sengun: 8/6.

11-12 seed would be a boon for this team.

DaneB and CriscoKidd like this.
  5. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Green and Wood like…
    upload_2021-7-31_10-51-52.gif

BamBam, DaneB and red5rocket like this.
  6. clos4life

clos4life Member

The team needs to compete. I'll suffer losing as long as it is competitive to the wire every single game. No more blowouts, no more loser mentality. I'll be fine with having another high pick in the lottery if we get hampered by injuries or lack talent but let's play to win.

ElDobleK, DaneB and CriscoKidd like this.
  7. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Assuming we're back to an 82 game schedule .... last years .236 winning percentage would equate to 19.35 wins.

Winning 5 more games is a pretty big statistical jump .... and would put them closer to the rest of the lotto teams than they were this past season being dead last by a mile.

The 14 seed in the West - OKC was 20-52 and the 15 seed in the East had the same record - a full 5 games better than the Rockets.

I expect they are still in the bottom two , just not 5 games worse than the next worse team.

8. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]
    :eek:

You mean like this….

Clutchfans it’s Fantastic!!!
    …….
    …….
    …….

Houston77 likes this.
  9. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Looking at the other teams around the NBA and barring multiple major extended injuries, I don't see a loss.

10. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I expect us to be pretty bad. Tank Commander Wall will do his part. I just hope all the youngins get a ton of time. 2022-2023 and beyond should brighten year to year.

11. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I think there will be points next season where the team will be really competitive and look shockingly good.

And other points where they just fall off a cliff.

Last season was really weird and I expect this upcoming season to stay not normal. Eye opening to see Silas miss a freaking press conference because of Covid protocols already. At least the games should be a little more spaced out.

In the end I expect them to fall short of the play-in, but not be a complete joke.

sydmill likes this.
  12. DaneB

DaneB Member

God I hope we don’t have another COVID season…I did my part and know how it’s going to get better, but we will probably have to deal with this the rest of our lives…:mad:

13. ElDobleK

ElDobleK Literally Zan Tabak

I definitely understand what you mean (I'd be lying if I said I kept watching every game during that dismal 20-game losing streak), but to be fair, we set the record for different players on a single roster during a season with 30. And that was in a shortened season. I feel like our issues stemmed from "injured mentality" as often as it did "loser mentality". We got to use the hardship exception TWICE.

Granted, every notable player we had on the roster (Harden, Wall, Oladipo, Boogie) decided they didn't want to be here at one point or another, which didn't help. But the lack of continuity from game to game and the constant need to integrate a revolving door of players into a team is not a recipe for a winning environment. I'd hope that getting a normal offseason and returning to a normal schedule will help keep our guys healthy, and our fresh young guns should help shift the mentality.

clos4life likes this.
  14. sydmill

sydmill Member

I feel confident that we'll have a better record than OKC but that's it.

15. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Super high usage of all youngins.

In competition for worst team in the league.

Dont rush the rebuild.

16. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

I’d put the over/under at about 30 wins right now. We really need to score big in next years draft to be set up to compete for the play in tournament in 2 years.

17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Another good lottery selection! :D

AroundTheWorld and DaneB like this.
  18. Der Rabbi

Der Rabbi Member

Assuming KO is gone and that Wall and Gordon will either be minimized or moved (yeah good luck with that) 13th or 14th seed in the West seems to be the spot. Not like they are going to spend to bring in vets to stabilize the team or anything. Take some more lumps, see who has what, draft again.

19. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

9th seed

*Rockets were a better team than we saw last season.

*Players were shut down in order to tank

*KMjr and Tate will work on weaknesses over the summer

*Wood, Wall, Eric Gordon, Porter, KMjr, Tate, Khyri Thomas have a year under their
    belts in the Silas systems. Will come back stronger and understand where they are
    suppose to be.

*If Wood goes out this time, Garuba can fill in somewhat. Last season we only had Cousins
    and scrubs like Spalding, Lamb and Patton. I would take Garuba over them in a
    heartbeat.

Rockets will finish ahead of:

[ In no particular order ]
    Thunder
    T-Wolves
    Spurs
    Pelicans
    Blazers (expecting Blazers to trade McCollum; but return
    ..................not working so well this season)

#19 ApacheWarrior, Jul 31, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
    cmlmel77 and DaneB like this.
  20. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Young doesn’t always equal bad

look at the thunder a couple of years ago with CP3 , granted they had gallo too and maybe another scorer I’m forgetting .

if Tate , kpj , and wood take steps forward then we can compete for the 10th spot.

green and Garuba I think will be neutral impact players .

gordon is ok if he’s having fun , but we will probably trade him . Wall is the X-factor . It would not be surprising to see him play better another year removed from his injury .

but , we also have kpj / green and maybe JC we want to get Playing time . We can hide JC in the g-league for a while , but if he’s dominating he will get disgruntled.