1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Big 12 Scraps Aren't So Bad...

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Landry's Tooth, Jul 26, 2021.

1. Landry's Tooth

I don't hate UT, I just don't see them any different than an Iowa State based on how they've run their program.

Apathy isn't hate. They fit in with an OSU, TCU, etc. even with their lesser success lately...

When someone thinks they are better than they are wants to leave; don't expect any tears being shed...

I think I've seen more UT fans here than in real life in months... if they are they don't show it...

2. Landry's Tooth

Delusional... Baylor/TCU >>>>>>> than UT and either...

BTW, i don't pay to watch them so I'm not sure why you make that assumption.

I actually pity them some... they used to be the program in Texas and now they are playing for 4th...

3. Landry's Tooth

Ongoing viability of a sinking conference?

What exactly are you proposing the SEC take them too?

There's not a better conference taking them so the best option is the only practical one.

If you don't care about the games and just the money I'm not talking to you. That's a different conversation i haven't been having.

I have to say, these comments being made are identical to Cowboys fans... it's kind of sad...

Difference of course is the cowboys have mattered some over the past 15 years...

4. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I think there's a variety of posters reading this thread who are fans of all sorts of schools, SEC and non-SEC....and all combined think you are delusional. I don't care that you have a different opinion and are passionate about it. But there are different conversations going on. There is better quality football that has been played in the Big12 over the last decade (a lot without UT) than it got credit for. There was also a lot of crap football that got played in the SEC during the same time frame that got overlooked. At the end of the day though, the cream defines a conference's perception, and the big programs provide the money and eyeballs. Because the Big 12 lacks these things now, it's future is gloomy. You seem to be unaware or unconvinced of the weight of these other factors, like a Soviet Union loyalist not seeing a problem as the Berlin Wall is being torn down. That's okay - I have no need to convince, and I don't mind if I'm wrong. Only time will tell if the Big 12's deficient planning and leadership along with losing UT & OU leads to their collapse.

Major, mtbrays and Brando2101 like this.
  5. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Summed up nicely.

No one is arguing Texas’ product on the field is better than any of the remaining Big 12 members.

The argument is the brand similar to the underachieving Dallas Cowboys has value. Love it or hate it.

No offense to this guy’s business (which doesn’t sound like does well), Texas moves merchandise.

SamCassell likes this.
  6. Landry's Tooth

So when i say they would be the 5th or 6th best conference I'm delusional?

When i say thebother conferences aren't going to be interested in them I'm delusional?

When i make factual statement that UH has almost as many students as UT I'm delusional?

When i say they will lose 20 million or so in tv money I'm delusional?

The only delusion here is that you believe UT football on the field matters more than other schools to anyone outside of OU...

7. Landry's Tooth

I move Astros more than anything these days. It's entirely possible it's just the area I'm at. UT used to be 50% of our college sales, it's closer to 20% now...

I think you are delusional because i never claimed UT didn't make the Big 12 money. That's why I've said many times their money would drop in the short term.

In the long run you have the opportunity to build the product back up. There could be better product eventually with players getting paid, the larger playoff size, and no single dominant team in the league.

UT eyeballs are worth more because their alumni are delusional thinking they are on par with OU, Ohio State, LSU, etc. That leads them to buying merch. Winning 4 games a year in the SEC for a decade will impact that; especially since they won't be getting special treatment to delude themselves further.

I think you guys are arguing about something i never claimed. You had to invent someone to go after...

It's just weird... As an alumni of a remaining Big 12 school i just don't care about UT anymore. I have a friend from Tech and another from UH and both of them didn't care about Texas either.

It's an opinion and you seem intent on proving an opinion wrong...

8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

It does feel like a lot of the "whether you love them or hate them you still pay attention to them" vibe with UT has waned a lot in the last 10 years.

I just don't see much about them anymore. The Tshirt fan hysteria of the VY days has really faded.

I think it's a combination of their mediocrity along with the rise of other programs. Everybody has got their own thing going on. Be it conference moves, facilities, or basketball taking off, etc.

Granted all it takes is a couple of good years and the obnoxious "we're back" nonsense starts up and the hate train could get rolling again.

But for now, it's just whatever. Maybe the SEC move will bring some hype and glitter back. It could also have the opposite effect and send UT to the cellar for a while.

Long term they'll be fine. Their margin for error is just too huge for the stink to permanently stick. But for now it's low tide at the burnt orange pier.

9. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

The alumni of non-Tech Big 12 schools in Texas (which may include you) are probably locked into the Big 12 and its future. The PAC12 doesn't seem to be a fit for religious schools like Baylor and TCU. Those teams may need to ride it out with whoever else is willing to join.

Stating that UT alumni are delusional for watching their team or buying merch totally misses the point. I went to UH during the SWC days. Tickets to football and basketball games were free. The stands were more than half empty. And we had really good teams back then.

Texas fans are just more rabid, more invested, more spirited. It's a different fanbase. The team draws 100,000 fans even during bad years. UH draws 25% of that.

10. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

For not caring about Texas, you guys sure can’t seem to shut the **** up about how you don’t care about Texas.

mtbrays and Buck Turgidson like this.
  11. Buck Turgidson

arkoe and Major like this.
  12. Landry's Tooth

Well, when you have that many students and faculty it's not hard to fill...

UH would do the same in a better conference eventually... might take 20 years...

13. Landry's Tooth

Not seeing how 1 game every other year does that... or are they including golf and softball? They don't explain methodology or how they are projecting...

It's also ignoring and potential additions.

And again, you are simply supporting my view... they do take an economic hit. It's weird you seem to think someone is on here saying otherwise...

But please tell me more about things i already believe...

You are such a clown...

14. Landry's Tooth

Take a look... no one was really talking about them until the UT homers showed up...

I guess i could ignore them... why didn't you?

15. Landry's Tooth

True or false... UT football today is as popular and sells as well as in 2004?

What would 4 wins a year for a decade in the SEC do?

The Big 12 is so inferior but most years they are barely bowl eligible... like arguing that mediocre AAA baseball team can compete in the big leagues because they will just spend more...

16. Buck Turgidson

You might try, and this is just a suggestion, reading the actual report and not just the summary.

17. Major

Major Member

Literally your first two sentences of your opening post of this thread:

I know football is the money, but there are solid programs left after OU and Texas. Texas hasn't been relevant in 15 years.

18. Major

Major Member

When you say programs like Nebraska, Iowa, or Arkansas might take pay cuts to join the B12, you are delusional.

19. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Big 12 is on life support.

20. Landry's Tooth

And i would take this time why?

I don't disagree with the premise i just find the specific conclusions unrealistic.

If someone told you UT would add 4 billion in annual revenue to the SEC you would call it crazy but the idea of some additional revenue isn't a lie.

Is there some reason you need me to care about UT football?

Just accept I don't... why so defensive you have to look up random studies on the internet?