1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2021 NBA Draft; 16th overall] Rockets select Alperen Sengun

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jul 29, 2021.

?

Do you like the selection of Alperen Sengun?

1. YES

95.1%
  2. NO

4.9%
  1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Then you should hear about the legend of some kid named Ricky Rubio in FIBA play... we should get him. :D

hakeem94 likes this.
  2. Sengun

Sengun Member

Firstly, thank you.

Secondly, I just want to say this. Comparing college basketball and a professional league is not seems good. College League is among third or fourth class leagues in Europe, such as the Polish, German League. I can say the same for the G-League. The statistics there don't matter to me, but Alperen made these statistics in a really tough (maybe best one after NBA, Euroleague and Spain) and most importantly professional basketball league.

As for his slowness, it's impossible to match him to short ones for now. But he's not so bad on help defense. He can't show his offensive foot quickness in defense, which is true. But he has a great sense of position and a strong rebounding ability. It certainly should not be overlooked. In fact, the thing I'm most curious about in his rookie year is how many rebounds he will average.

Although he's wreaking havoc in the Turkish League for now, I can't deny that he still has some raw features for the NBA. First of all, he must gain muscle mass, improve his quickness and catch up with his shooting rhythm (I'm sure his shot will be reliable because his FT rate is around 80%). All that aside, Houston invested in his future, not his present. Anyway, if he can reach his potential one day, I don't see any reason why he shouldn't make this team champion.

By the way, I would like to reiterate that I do not praise him so much because I am from the same country as him. I really have high hopes for him. If he was a Serbian or a German I would say the same. I never thought or said that for other Turkish players, Korkmaz and Osman, because they were only capable of being a role player. Alperen is very different.

#302 Sengun, Jul 30, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
  3. J.R.

J.R. Member

[​IMG]

4. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I'm the one cautious about the foreigners.

Wait and see attitude. You probably meant to throw your barb at someone else

Here is Garuba vs USA (KD) looks like man to man defense

OkayAyeReloaded and RasaqBoi like this.
  5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I throw barbs haphazardly and with no regard to their victims!

hakeem94 likes this.
  6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

[​IMG]

CriscoKidd, hakeem94 and J.R. like this.
  7. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

yeah i feel you, but this is the magic of being a fan and fearful for your team, you never know how things will turn out, great player may never translate to another league or country, but there is a magic in being anxious about it, perhaps this is why its fun to be a fan...

OTH I am more worried about coaching...
    in besiktas they have elaborate and fine plays and guys used to ball sharing and team play...they run all kinds of actions from little that i saw...its beautiful basketball

i wonder what will happen when alperen is relegated to standing in the corner and johnny the ballhog start dribbling the air out of ball?! LOL what happens when Wall starts throwing brick after brick refusing to pass or involve players who are more talented than him :D

i hope rockets get a proper coaching and locker room so that they dont stunt the development of the fine young players they got

8. Rockets4Life13

I’m curious... has Hakeem said something about these two big men selections yet? I’m sure Alperen Sengun is someone he wanted the Rockets to get.

9. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Sengun had the best efficiency rating in the Turkish BSL league in 20 years. Interestingly, Joey Dorsey had a high efficiency rating in the 2012-2013 season. There are a lot of American players in the Turkish BSL league.

CXbby, Hakeemtheking and hakeem94 like this.
  10. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

hey you did fine job during the draft, thank you!

11. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I see the Olynyk role for Sengun.

*High PnR near the 3-point line, being a hub for the offense from there.
    *Brings the center away from the rim.
    *Cutters, slashers then diving to the rim as possible receivers of Senguns passing.
    3-pt shooting threat, drawing the opposing big man out (like Olynyk does)

What I worry about is his stopping near the rim and reversing. Looks like
    he slides his pivot foot about a foot and a half from where it was planted.
    Not sure if the rules have changed.....but that use to be called travelling.

In videos he also gathers himself there (near rim) and pump fakes continuously.
    In the NBA he will be surrounded and eventually rejected.

Defense, guarding NBA players. Kinda stiff legged. Question his lateral quickness?

CriscoKidd and hakeem94 like this.
  12. topfive

topfive CF OG

From ESPN.com...

Which non-lottery pick will make an immediate impact next season?

Givony:
    Alperen Sengun has a chance to be rookie of the year, or at least put up the type of numbers that will put him firmly in the conversation. Sengun was the most productive 18-year-old prospect in European basketball history, winning MVP of the strong Turkish league by scoring with incredible efficiency and being a playmaker defensively, while inhaling rebounds and making an impact as a passer. Sengun will likely walk into 25-30 minutes a game for Houston, and there's no reason to think he won't put up big numbers, even if that will likely come mostly in losing efforts with an overmatched Houston team.

Deuce, CXbby and Hakeemtheking like this.
  13. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

lol i noticed it too...refs let a lot of it go it seems....i thought perhaps i am not acquainted with rules enough LOL

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  14. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

So this guy gets a higher percentage than Jalen Green. This forum is embarrassing at times.

15. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Hakeem probably didn’t even watch the draft.

hakeem94 likes this.
  16. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

This boy needs a Texas sized American nickname, Al-P sounds like medication or a medical condition

Warmly welcome to Houston, Big Al

17. Rockets4Life13

Looking at it the wrong way.

If Sengun was selected with the #2 pick you can bet your house that the percentage would be in single digits. Context matters

Drift Monkey and kjayp like this.
  18. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

I like SendGun better.

hakeem94 likes this.
  19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Senor Gün.

hakeem94 and RasaqBoi like this.
  20. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Just be glad he’s not bald