1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2021 NBA Draft; 24th overall] Rockets select Josh Christopher

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jul 29, 2021.

?

Do you like the selection of Josh Christopher?

1. YES

55.5%
  2. NO

44.5%
  1. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Yup. 4 19 year olds does something else as well. It gives the team a lot of losses the next 2 seasons for better picks. Then starting their 3rd years showing improvement hopefully that translates into wins and the rockets give the thunder crappy picks like they deserve.

Nook, quikkag, csnerd84 and 2 others like this.
  2. Sen89

Sen89 Member

Christopher was a top-15 talent in this class. The fact that he's a score-first 2 like Green makes me not love this pick, but I like it.

I think Stone has a clear plan, and flexibility/development is at the core of it. We have a mix of explosive offensive talents and versatile defensive-minded guys, and both groups will make the other's lives much easier. Silas did a good job with Tate and KMJ last year, and I think with more of a stable situation, we should see a lot of growth in the next year. But Stone is still thinking in terms of asset management too -- if Christopher and Green pan out, you can bet that the former is going to be a valuable trade piece if need be.

Only thing I would've liked is a legit playmaker/PG, but hopefully Sengun's passing is as good as advertised.

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

4. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Statistically he has no advantages over Springer, in fact he has a couple of disadvantages in comparison (higher foul rate, significantly lower assist, lower 3pt%)

There has to be something off paper, about his athleticism, or handle, or mentality that they really liked over Springer

I would be upset about Butler, but with the way he slipped, I have to imagine his health condition is a major concern because Butler is a top 15 talent if healthy IMO

Outside of Butler/Springer there was definitely other interesting players, but none that stand out as superior prospects, Thor, Todd, Ayo, McBride, Bones, Grimes, Juhann, Brown, Wisekamp, Cooper, Sharpe are all interesting but Christopher is about equally interesting himself as a freshman who showed some potential

5. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

HAHAHAH AWESOME!
    i just finished watching the highlights, he can play, btw nice handles, midrange, the 3, the drive

D-rock likes this.
  6. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

in stone's presser he lauded christopher as the best transition player in the entire draft, and with potential to become a lockdown man defender

from watching a couple interviews, i get that sam cassell vibe from this kid. he exudes confidence and spunk. funny sam was drafted at 24 too and both have polished midrange pullup J's

Emtenndo, D-rock, Sluball3 and 4 others like this.
  7. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The more i watch people breaking him down, the more clear it is how raw he is. He does have the size and explosive athleticism, but he is more of an athlete than a basketball player at the moment.

hakeem94 likes this.
  8. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

also btw, john lucas III was this kid's trainer past couple months. so the front office probably knows his game front & back and didn't just select him for jalen green's blessings

9. vince

vince Member

Christopher might be the catalyst for the 2nd unit; if things work out as they should.

Someone rightfully pointed out that on draft day, all picks seem like all-stars and steals. So of course, proceed with caution when putting hefty expectations on guys drafted in the 20’s. But there is a lot of potential to tap into.

10. roslolian

roslolian Member

We dont know how the draft would shake out at the time.

I dont like this pick and voted no in the poll but I dont hate it either. I feel like the Rox could've used another forward like JT Thor or even Vren B. However if they are hellbent on picking another guard then I can see why they took this dude over others disregarding the JG connection. He just has upside others dont, I mean Quentin Grimes? Grimes is ok but at 21 JC just has higher ceiling.

I guess Rox should be ready for small ball again, we are gonna be running with EG/Tate/JC/Brown/Nwaba sf lineup smh.

D-rock likes this.
  11. kevtse

kevtse Member

sounds more like Corey Brewer to me :rolleyes:

12. ClearLakeTX

ClearLakeTX Member

Could be like Hardwn and Westbrook they knew each other and played together I think

hakeem94 likes this.
  13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Seems like his personality is why he's buds with everyone

slothy420, Richie_Rich, vince and 6 others like this.
  15. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

this is why you need fine coaches, shooting coaches and stimulating basketball environment and culture in general

roslolian, quikkag and D-rock like this.
  16. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

He mentioned being able to play PG in one of his interviews I saw. I was surprised by this but maybe he has been working even more on his handles and especially his passing/vision. I have a feeling he has made great strides since his season was cut short in early February and Rockets liked his progression as well as what little tap they had on him in college. Also, he played at the combine so maybe impressed them there. Did he have a private workout for the Rockets too?

pippendagimp and D-rock like this.
  17. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

hahahah gotta love it!

18. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

imho hes handles are pretty good....kyriesque at moments or perhaps i am just not good evaluator of handles lololol

jcmoon likes this.
  19. D-rock

D-rock Member

6'9 wingspan is better than House.

roslolian, jcmoon and hakeem94 like this.
  20. vator

vator Contributing Member

Compare to freshman Donovan Mitchell