1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gold Cup - what is the point?

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by DaDakota, Jul 1, 2021.

1. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

WHoo. USA vs Qatar in Austin Thursday night. Knock Jamaica out of the Gold cup...again.

2. Aware

Aware Member

I watched a bit of the last Qatar game and tbh they are not bad at all.

A lot of of foreign born players but not as many as one would think. I was thinking they would be the weakest host nation ever but at worst they look similar to the 2010 south african team.

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Qatar paid good money to enslavEEEER build this team.

leroy likes this.
  4. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I could've lived with losing to Jamaica but a loss tonight is unacceptable...even with this roster.

5. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

wow Qatar missed the penalty.

6. Uprising

Hell yeah!!!! USA .....goalaaaazzzzooooooo

daywalker02 and DreamShook like this.
  7. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Wow another late goal.. we did it. again.

daywalker02 and Uprising like this.
  8. Uprising

Nice win by those kids out there. Fun second half.

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

El Tri with one team at the Olympics and one at the Gold Cup.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Man Acosta is LAZY - he doesn't move into space at all, and watches the ball, just has no sense of spacing and movement - he is a must kick out of the team, IMHO, along with Dike whose touch is suspect.

The young kids like Hoppe, Giaocancin(Sp?), and Cannon looked good....as did the goalie Taylor.

Wasn't pretty but a final against that FRICKEN SHITBAG team from Mexico....is always fun.

DD

11. Buck Turgidson

What do I need to know ahead of this match Sunday night?

12. leroy

2 rivals without a bulk of their main players barely scrapping by to get here. It's going to be VERY chippy. A red card or 2 wouldn't be shocking.

Biggest question of the final is...Will the final be delayed because mexico's fans just can't not be pieces of s*** during the game? They literally won their semi vs Canada because the game was delayed which added 9 min of stoppage time and they scored 8 min into it. If CONCACAF had any balls, they'd force a forfeit...but they don't so there's no consequences at all.

If they were concerned about a forward's first touch, Jozy would've never played a minute. Dike needs experience and he needs to get the f*** out of the MLS. I wish he could've stayed in England where he could learn to better use his physicality and turn it into goals. He's a good prospect to watch if he can get somewhere he'll grow. He's just too able to get away with the bad touches in the MLS (see Jozy Altidore's career).

I like Hoppe but he needs to learn how to better channel his energy. I think he wastes too much of it running around like crazy. I appreciate the effort but it needs to be better used. That's something that should come with experience.

#52 leroy, Jul 31, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
  13. Aware

Aware Member

They've already been sanctioned i'm pretty sure. Nothing major but i think some home games in the hex will be without fans. I agree tho, something major should have been done a long, long time ago. no matter how much some mexico fans try to rationalize it by saying its not used as homophobic slur, its homophobic slur period. I say this as a mexico fan thats been against it from the days it first came up in late night atlas games in guadalajara.

As for the game, mexico is the favorite since it has a team more closely resembling its full squad but its a rivalry game so wouldnt be surprised if the usmnt wins it. Rogelio Funes Mori has been excellent for mexico.

14. leroy

Actually, mexico has found a loophole. They're going to have one of their women's team games be played without fans. Since FIFA didn't specify which of the mexican teams had to serve the punishment, FMF has decided the women's team will suffer.

15. Aware

Aware Member

lmao what a failure from fifa that would be.
    to their credit, fans have been better about it. i think it happened once in the game here in houston but dont recall it being yelled against honduras.

16. Aware

Aware Member

Just thinking a bit about both teams and where they stand.

I get why usmnt are very bullish about their team and the future. No doubt this is the most talented crop of young players for the u.s. but imo this is not the cycle where you might see things take a turn in concacaf. both the u.s. and mexico are going to be of similar level this whole qualifying process and still possibly into the next cycle. who knows in a decade tho. they way mls is shipping young players abroad is impressive and thats the one thing they are already doing better than mexico.

17. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

How do you miss that? Lmao

18. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

oh man he choked.. wide open..

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

****ing HATE Mexico they lose the ball and fall down, the USA should be beating the **** out of them, if they are going to fall, HAMMER em into submission.

You start a bunch of 5'6" guys you need to be physical with them.

DD

#59 DaDakota, Aug 1, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
  20. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

wow! we did it. they deserve it. good job

#60 DreamShook, Aug 1, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2021