1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rotation

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HROZ, Jul 29, 2021.

1. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Porter, Green, Tate, Garuba, Wood
    Augustin, Christopher, Martin, House, Sengun

(Thomas, Brooks, Wilson, Gordon/Wall)

There's more to come. It's a weird time to set up a depth chart. This roster isn't going to win games but they are going to score a ton of points.

2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'm guessing Garuba gets more minutes than Sengun at the start of the season. His defense should play immediately in the NBA, and could become a nice safety blanket for having a young backcourt. Defense, playmaking and shooting were the weaknesses I saw last year, and going with a defensive 3 and 4 helps with one of those areas. Green in another. It would not surprise me to see Sengun and Christopher in G League to start the season.

Wood, Garuba, Tate, Green, Porter to start.

I think Stone will have a lot of work between now and the season on the reserves. I'm hoping they bring back Olynyk as I expect Tate and Garuba are going to play a lot of minutes. It would be nice to be able to keep Garuba defending more mobile 4s. Not sure what happens with Gordon and Wall at this point.

burlesk, D-rock and No Worries like this.
  3. photojoe

photojoe Member

If we can't trade Gordon and Wall before the season starts, let them play. Let Wall start and Gordon get some actual time.
    And then pray that both look at least somewhat productive and that there is some injury to a competing team's guard before the trade deadline.

If the trade deadline passes and neither of them have been moved, make some announcement that they got injured while playing golf or something and miss the rest of the year

burlesk likes this.
  4. Victorious

Victorious Member

If wall starts the season with us, is he starting over kpj?

Joe Joe likes this.
  5. leangle25

leangle25 Member

I have no idea which veterans will look to be here in houston but i love the current position we are all in. H-TOWN LEGGO

jch1911 and cmoak1982 like this.
  6. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

I would LOVE to find a way to move Wall and resign Olynyk to a short deal. It just makes too much sense. I’m fine keeping Gordon.

KPJ / Augustine
    Green / Gordon / Thomas / Christopher
    Tate / KMJ / House
    Olynyk / Sengun
    Wood / Garuba

Guessing Christopher spends some time in the G League.

hakeem94 and cmoak1982 like this.
  7. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

Left out Gerald green :)

BHannes2BHonest and No Worries like this.
  8. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Way too early to predict but.

Starting 5.

John Wall. Kevin Porter Jr. Kelly Oubre . JaeSean Tate. Christian Wood

Initial bench unit.
    DJ Augustin. Jalen Green. KJ Martin. Usman Garuba. DJ Wilson

Spot minutes (developmental)
    Alperen Sengun. Armoni Brooks. Josh Christopher. Khyri Thomas.

I think Eric for an Oubre SNT at the same figure for 3 years is a great outcome for both teams. Maybe House is traded somewhere too? I have no idea. The Rockets have 0 of your 7 foot wingspan quick forwards so I'm looking at Oubre, Winslow and OPJ (like I have for the past 3 years.)

I think Olynk likely walks or is traded. DJ Wilson is retained for close to veteran's minimum. Brown and Nwaba find spots on contending teams.

I do not think Wall will be traded quite yet unless the Clippers or Heat get desperate. We should know more soon. I think if he is traded it's to the Heat for Iguodala and Dragic, both getting buyouts. Hopefully they can extract KZ Okpala (very possible) and/or Precious Achiuwa (unlikely) in the deal. This deal opens up a spot in the lineup and you are looking at.

KPJ. Green. Oubre. Tate. Wood
    Augustin. KJM. Okpala. Garuba. Wilson

Sengun. Thomas. . Brooks. Christopher as development guys.

Sengun may end up getting minutes early because he also played professional and is known to have a high motor. I think Garuba has a better shot to crack the rotation early due to his ELITE ELITE defensive instincts. He's probably the best defender on the team day 1.

Dubious likes this.
  9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I know the NBA is more position-less than ever, but I'm surprised to see Garuba listed as a 5 more than a 4 in a few posts in this thread. Sure, he will play some small ball 5, but I expect when he's playing with a less mobile big, he will be the one guarding the more mobile player.

burlesk and No Worries like this.
  10. alethios

alethios Member

We still have DJ Wilson, though that's not saying much.

11. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

If they could have been easily traded, they would have been by now.

Wall can only play every other game and will miss some of the those starts with injuries. In the games he starts, he should not get starters minutes. Wall may not be happy with this and may pursue a buyout. I do not see a trade where the Rockets get back matching bad contract(s), 40+M at that, as a good fit, since roster spots and PT are for the younger players.

Gordon has injury issues as well. If they could, the Rockets should do Gordon a solid and move him to a contender. I suspect that Gordon's age, salary and injuries of late would require the Rockets to add FRP(s) as well as to eat matching bad contract(s). :shrug: Not a great fit for the Rockets needs.

The Rockets do love Gordon's locker room presence and see him as a great influence on the younger players. Selfishly the Rockets just might want to keep Gordon around (or at least not settle on a bad trade).

Joe Joe likes this.
  12. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

You can't get rid all the old guys and start the young guys. You have to make them earn their starting spot. Hopefully Wall stick around and can teach them.

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I didn't see Rockets much last year, but if Wall is a Rocket this season, I would hope he's third on the depth chart and rarely plays.

Gordon, he looked like he is still playable and should be on court some if he's still a Rocket.

No Worries likes this.
  14. No Worries

1: John Wall / Kevin Porter Jr. / D.J. Augustin
    2: Jalen Green / Eric Gordon / Josh Christopher / Armoni Brooks
    3: Danuel House Jr. / Kenyon Martin Jr. / Khyri Thomas
    4: Jae'Sean Tate / Usman Garuba
    5: Christian Wood / Alperen Sengun

A little light in the 4/5. I would to see Kelly Olynyk brought back, a 2 year 10M per contract. I would like to see PJ Tucker brought back on a minimum contract, so he can retire a Rocket and be a locker room leader.

15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

The old guys have to earn their spot as well. Problem is that it is unlikely that someone like Wall can actually earn a spot. He may get PT out of default.

16. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

Of course everyone has to earn their spots. Hopefully Wall can be like Lowry and take the backseat and come off the bench once Green is ready.

burlesk likes this.
  17. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

hopefully house, Augustine, and Bradley can be moved for a SRP to contenders. they have value. if not, I think Augustine and Bradley can be great mentors to our young guards who need to work on PG play and defense. Also would like to see Olynyk brought back on a 2 year deal with not too much of an overpay. maybe 12-15M range. I think that beats out all the MLE offers with the promise we trade him to a contender. I think we can get a FRP for him.
    I'd like to see:

wood (30mpg) - sengun (12mpg) - garuba (g'league if he comes over this year)
    olynyk(28mpg) - KJ (12mpg) - house
    tate (28mpg) - ego (30mpg, will be featured to attempt to trade him)
    green (30mpg) - Bradley (8mpg) - christopher (g'league)
    wall (32mpg) - KPJ 30mpg- augustine (plays when wall rests) - Khyri (g'league)

by the deadline I think we'll move olynyk and potentially Bradley and Augustine. I think 1 FRP and 2 SRPs would be a good haul for the lot. I don't think we'll find a taker for wall or ego without parting with picks to move them. not worth it. I also don't think house would net us a pick and is probably just retained.

end of season I think it looks more like:

wood (30mpg or shut down again) - Şengün (24mpg)
    KJ (28mpg) - Garuba (20mpg)
    tate (28mpg) - gordon (30mpg or shut down)
    green (34mpg) - Christopher (20mpg)
    KPJ (34mpg) - wall (shut down)

maybe next summer we will be able to trade gordon to clear minutes for our guards, possibly buyout wall with 1 year remaining on the contract it should be more affordable... and then see how extension talks with wood go.

18. No Worries

One has to wonder the value of Armoni Brooks or Khyri Thomas on the roster. Both are development players who will struggle to get PT and who are not likely on the roster for more than the next year. The two roster slots might be better served with veterans on one year minimum deals ... like PJ Tucker and David Nwaba/Sterling Brown.

19. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

If Wall is frustrated by limited playing time or not starting, maybe he will negotiate an affordable buyout so he can go play elsewhere.

I think Garuba won't sign this year (https://today.in-24.com/sport/News/65808.html) so Sengun needs to play, We need KellyO on a contract that can be traded as expiring next year. That would give a solid C/F three man rotation but I still think we need a back-up banger to get some minutes on the Big Centers. Maybe Gordon could bring one in trade or look at Garza as an UDFA

burlesk and Joe Joe like this.
  20. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

Goal isn't to win games, goal is to develop young players whilst obtaining a top 10 pick.

burlesk, jcmoon and D-rock like this.