1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Getting to know Alperen Sengun - your new...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CXbby, Jul 30, 2021.

1. CXbby

CXbby Member

As for position, due to his lateral quickness or lack of he's going to have to primarily be a drop big, like Jokic or Lopez. And ideally you pair him in the front court with a high mobile defense oriented big. Good thing we just drafted one of those too!

clos4life, joshuaao, DeBeards and 5 others like this.
  2. CXbby

CXbby Member

A couple more things going for Sengun that I forgot to mention in the OP.

Silas. His system and coaching is supposedly guard oriented, but last year the guy that really plugged in and really played well, far better than his career averages, was Olynyk. I think that really bodes well for Sengun and how he will fit our system since they have some similarities.

Kpj. I'm under no delusion that kpj is some great player, in fact he was a net negative, but with talent and potential. One of the things he actually genuinely does well is passing, and surprisingly post entry passing which I find a rare skill nowadays. Not just the ability to hit the post accurately but the recognition to look for the post to begin with (Wood, Olynyk, Tate) which most players I see just look off. That's going to help Sengun since someone is going to have to give him the ball, in the right spots at the right time. Kpj can be very useful here.

3. hajkov

hajkov Consummate Member

This guy got me thinking/wishing he looks like a Scola.

bmelo likes this.
  4. conquistador#11

Why is the the Op acting like he discovered ColdPlay? Everybody on here was talking about Coldplay for a while, I mean Sengun.
    Glad we got him. Feels like having 2 picks in the top 5.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  5. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Hope you are right, I have high hopes for him and he's only 18

6. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Even if the two euros were stashed, we’re still a lottery team for at least one more season. Could get good value again with our two first round picks.

Jalen Green OnlyFan and jcmoon like this.
  7. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

The more I watch Sengun the more I really like his game. Gets to the basket and plays through contact, had very good handles for his size, pretty good help defense, will get you some blocks, and damn good footwork.

I think with work he can be a capable defender, needs to work on ball and positioning. If he develops a consistent jumper sky is the limit.

So many skills to work with.

Caesar, whiskeyred and daywalker02 like this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think the goal must be trying get at least one of them here. He should get acclimated to the NBA asap.

Silas is not a playoff tested coach yet so give him talents to develop.

9. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

love this pick!!! PF jokic

smoothie likes this.
  10. ilias

ilias Member

That’s a really bad take. 90%+ of G-leaguers never make it to a top overseas league. A lot of them don’t even make it as professional athletes. I’d say G-league is equivalent to a mid-ranked European national league. Spain/ Turkey/ Russia are the top leagues, Italy/ France/ Greece/ Adriatic follow, the G-league would be something like the German, Polish league at best.

CXbby likes this.
  11. VoR

VoR Member

So, is he still growing? I read 6’ 9” and others list 6’ 10”. It’s going to be a tough pill if Kai Jones ends up developing better than Sengun. At 6’ 9”, he’s going to have to play forward in the NBA.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Sengun just turned 19 5 days ago, so yeah, he's probably still growing and will likely top out close to 7 ft.

It's also notable that he did better than Green at a younger age in a superior league.

Like Green, Sengun's defense is flat out trash, but his offense has a pretty high floor.

13. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Do you think he's a better prospect than Cade Cunningham or Mobley because he did better than Cade in a superior league also.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No, because like Green, Sengun is a one way player. Two way prospects like Cade and Mobley will always have higher ceilings.

15. fchowd0311

He's a better offensive prospect than Cade Cunningham?

16. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

in addition to Luke, who/how many developmental folks do Rox have for the FabFour?

17. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

I think he needs to come over here. He already dominated the turkish league - and he doesn't have to do a lot of stuff over there, that he will have to do here. He needs to bulk up and he needs to extend his range to the 3pt line. I think for both these things coming over to the NBA and having the practice and trainers here will help him a lot more, than if he stayed overseas.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He could end up the better offensive player if his shot gets extended to the 3 point line. Cade is an elite prospect, so that's really saying something.

Sengun has Jokic upside.

CXbby likes this.
  19. fchowd0311

But he has better numbers than Cade in a superior league though?

hakeem94 likes this.
  20. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Can't wait for Jalen Green to teach him how to dress.

I do look forward to Sengun-Porter/Green on the PnR. He looks like he'll become a lethal spot up shooter, and he can absolutely torch smaller defenders who switch on him in the post.