1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Poll] Do we re-sign Olynyk now?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Jul 30, 2021.

?

Do we re-sign Olynyk?

1. Yes

123 vote(s)
    57.5%
  2. No

91 vote(s)
    42.5%
  1. conquistador#11

You have to try to. You can't have all rookies and young 20 year olds in a roster. If the price is too high you go for another Center/PF in FA, maybe a Spaniard who can also speak French and left Carl Herrera mesmerized with his stuff, you know what I mean.

UTSA2step likes this.
  2. Landry's Tooth

The money is irrelevant. It's the years. They have bird rights and Stone wants to operate above the cap for strategic reasons...

As long as his deal falls off same time as Wall then we're all good... thinking 35 million over 2 years. If you're really worried about cap money then they can move Eric Gordon and try to take little salary back. Olynyk might see minutes with Wood and a 19 year old in front of him. Gordon is stuck behind a few guys now they are going to want to play...

On a shorter deal like that he's a great trading asset if he plays like last year...

I could see him invest in himself and take the playing time here to establish his value for the rest of his career... this is a good system for him...

3. Landry's Tooth

That's not enough for Turner. There would need to be picks or Wood involved.

4. jch1911

jch1911 Member

I know and have said so before (you can check my many MANY other posts on Turner)... was just replying about what should happen to the man ;)

5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Yes because he helps stabilize the play on the court which helps the young players. I think the Rockets need him more than ever. If you don’t have that Delfino/Scola type of veteran in the mix it can really make the game hell for the coach. I think you try and get him back on a 2 year deal and if a team wants to throw huge money at him you go out and try to find a more affordable version of what Olynyk was providing.

joshuaao, fattz and conquistador#11 like this.
  6. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think the MLE is around $9M, so that's probably the most he's going to get from any other team. He could probably get a longer deal from someone else or see how much the Rockets want to go over that amount for one year. The Rockets may no longer be as attractive to him now that they have younger guys needing playing time. I don't think the Rockets should renounce his rights or anything, and I'd like to see him stay for another year, but I don't think he's as necessary as before.

Dubious likes this.
  7. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I’d like it if they did because I think he’s a perfect fit, but they never had any intentions of bringing him back.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Probably not, they drafted 2 centers

9. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

I would offer a 1 year 18 mill contract. Or 2 years 30.

His leadership could help, especially for sengun.

10. Landry's Tooth

Gotcha...

Huge Turner guy myself but not sure there's a trade fit...

Seems like they prefer to move Sabonis now...

jch1911 likes this.
  11. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Wwwwwwuuuuttttt??? Where did you see that....

12. eman

eman Contributing Member

I like the way he plays, his attitude, his veteran presence around all these teenagers... That's Mr. Luis Scola I'm describing, but would also apply to KO.

13. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

I think 1-2 year overpay still makes sense for both sides. Sengun could learn a lot from KO.

14. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Do we re-sign Olynyk now?

[​IMG]

Definitely!!! o_O

@Os Trigonum

…….
    …….
    …….

Os Trigonum likes this.
  15. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

if you ever have a chance to re-sign Olynyk, you DO IT

Do it zoolander.gif

16. fattz

fattz Member

Are both of our rookie bigs going to come over next year? (Llull 2.0). Does Olynyk want to be mentor? Do ALL their personalities match were they would ALL benefit from this type of thing? More questions than answer.

Do they talk English?

17. Bo6

Bo6 Member

A Wood-KO-Sengun rotation seems nice to me.

cmoak1982, fattz and Joe Joe like this.
  18. Landry's Tooth

I'm not saying they are actively shopping Sabonis. The belief was they don't like the fit of the two and before the season Turner was coming off injury while Sabonis had turned into a stud.

After the year Turner had with his rim protection i read somewhere a couple of months ago that Sabonis would be the more likely of the 2 to go since he's not as much a spacer or rim protector.

When i have time I'll try to find... probably more rumor than anything...

19. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Olynyk over the last four years (his peak earning years at that) has made 10-12M. Now that he is on the wrong side of 30, I suspect that his fair market price is a 2 year 10M per contract.

Guessing that Olynyk will need to decide whether to play limited but rotational minutes for a playoff team or play starter's minutes with the Rockets. Olynyk's last experience of playing limited but rotational minutes for a playoff team in Miami might color his decision.

20. Newlin

Newlin Member

I see absolutely no reason to bring him back. We really need to be in tank mode for one more season. We have our own first round pick next season. I would rather give his minutes to a young guy.