1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Poll] Do we re-sign Olynyk now?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Jul 30, 2021.

?

Do we re-sign Olynyk?

1. Yes

123 vote(s)
    57.5%
  2. No

91 vote(s)
    42.5%
  1. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

After drafting Sengun and Garuba, I don’t see a future for him on this team.

2. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member

He's about to get paid

Not here though

3. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

LTS will prevent Tilman from beginning him back.

JoeBarelyCares and vick like this.
  4. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

We were never going to anyway.

5. TimDuncanDonaut

If Silas PoV yes, there's going to be days next season, when inexperience show, and Silas wish he could plug a Vet in there to win the game.

From Rockets stand point, should give a price, but it may not be enough for him.

Ramo$e and saleem like this.
  6. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Depends how much he wants...
    It isn't linear yes/no answer.

If we don't pay him, then we probably need to bring in someone else as starting C. Sengun and Garuba haven't yet proven they are NBA level rotation players, let alone starters.
    I hope they are both starters- and the talent is there - but they won't develop by being thrown in the deep end to drown.

pr0wler, Rhay1, majicdonjuan and 6 others like this.
  7. ilias

ilias Member

If we can sign him to a tradeable contract, absolutely we must do so. Need to have matching salaries to make plays for disgruntled stars.

8. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Yes, offer him a good 2 year deal, and promise to trade him to wherever he wants to go.

Squeeze another pick of this.

9. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

I say yes if we can get him on a reasonable contract. He really tied the team together and made the 2nd half of the season watchable. I won’t be devastated if he leaves though.

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He isn't the youngest so expecting to see him demanding a relatively bigger splash.

saleem likes this.
  11. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

The way Olynyk played last year , he deserves to come back and they have a need for another versatile big who can play either position , particularly one who shoots 40% from 3 ....

You just can't treat everyone like an asset , that was part of Morey's problem - He had earned a reputation for doing just that , treating everyone as an asset and it bit him in the ass on several occasions.

Also I think Olynyk would be very beneficial to the young bigs .... He's a solid veteran and someone has to show these young guys how to be professionals ....

12. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Yes. We can afford it unless someone else comes up better. Get our new Turkish sensation in the Gleague like we have always done. Let him get NBA ready by slowly learning. He can get smarter and more confident by learning how to play our game and maybe inprove his 3pt shot.

13. VoR

VoR Member

If he wants to come back, sure. If not, Kaminsky could increase in value with playing time and then becomes a nice sign and trade candidate.

14. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I suspect that he will sign a two year deal, taking a pay cut as well. Even so, he should have multiple suitors. Guessing it is less than 50/50 that he signs back with the Rockets.

JoeBarelyCares likes this.
  15. PatBev

PatBev Member

I think we should just for veteran leadership. He looked to always be excited for KPJ unlike Wood who just always seems threatened lol

RudyTBag, Mr Woods and BamBam like this.
  16. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

The Rockets should do it. Will they, I don't know.

Ramo$e likes this.
  17. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Hate to say it, but S&T to a contender (he deserves that.... he went from a team in the Finals to a team with the worst record)

Hopefully, he is part of a sign & trade for Myles Turner (who fits with the current team makeup of 2-3 years from championship contending)

So I would say:
    to IND (with EGo + House for Myles Turner)
    back to BOS (for Tristan Thompson & future SRP which would create a huge TE for us because Thompson fits into a TE) @BimaThug

Dubious likes this.
  18. JW86

JW86 Member

No, he deserves to be on a contender and I don't want to look at his mug sorry.

19. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

This is Tilman's first big test when it comes to spending. (Post Harden)

I'll have to do the math again since they added the 16th pick , I had accounted for picks 2-23-24 at 120% rookie scale but prior to adding that (16th), they could use the Full NT-MLE & sign Kelly O to a figure of $20m per Or Less and not be in the tax ....

It would put them just short of the tax .... That's an expensive roster to be heading back to the lottery but it maximizes All Assets and leaves Stone with plenty of options when its time to move Wall which probably happens at the 2022/23 trade deadline.

EDIT - The math just piggybacked off of my previous figures

120% of rookie scale for 16 is $3,214,680 so they can use the full NT-MLE and sign Kelly O to anything less than 16.8m and stay out of the tax.

$16.8m is the max number they can throw at Kelly O.

20. Magicsaint

Magicsaint Member

Olynyk is very underrated in my opinion. Shoots well, decent rebounder and also hustles. I really want to see him stay with the Rockets but if he’s expecting big payday then I do not think he fits well with us due to rebuild mode. But I think he has solid 2-3 years left in him and might be best suited for a team that is expecting to reach deep in the playoffs.

Sanctity, D-rock and eman like this.