1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Poll] Grade Stone’s first draft

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by steddinotayto, Jul 29, 2021.

1. csnerd84

csnerd84 Member

With so many young kids, Silas is going to have really have to earn his pay check if he wants to be considered a good coach in the league.

saleem likes this.
  2. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

3. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

but that's also why we should be suspicious that we actually failed this draft hard. We are all so happy here - and we are all idiots.

4. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

That's what I worry about now.

You have One guy in Green already saying he's ROY.

You have another guy that still thinks he's a franchise player in Wall

You have another guy that came here to be the franchise player in Wood

And you have one guy in KPJ that had to be rehabilitated....

There is but one ball out there and there's only room for one franchise player. It's going to be tough to get all these guys to just play a role and stick with it and not all try to be THE guy all at once.

hakeem94, Bo6, MultipleSauces and 3 others like this.
  5. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

It's up to the head coach to figure it all out. Silas is on the spot.

JayGoogle likes this.
  6. conquistador#11

MENSA material.

You have to get rid of John W and House to open up 25 shot attempts for these kids, the 24th pick goes to the G league. I still don't know his name.

Olynyk
    Wood
    Tate
    Green
    KP
    -----------
    Augustine

Sengun
    Garuba
    Martin
    Brooks

7. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

This was beyond my wildest dreams for this draft.

Green: A+
    Has the potential to be a transcendent player and at worst likely an exciting high volume scorer.
    Sengun: A+
    Loved the player, so much skill and upside, but getting him for 2 heavily protected 1sts was a brilliant move. A bit of a throwback low post player, but uber efficient is sweet.
    Garuba: A+
    Defense was our weakness and we get the best "current" defender in this draft and a guy who's been playing against really good pros. Must work on his shot, but someone who will contribute immediately.
    Christopher: Incomplete
    Not a fan, but need to do more research before I comment. Saw small sample at combine and didn't look good.

8. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

A glut of Guards.

hakeem94 likes this.
  9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The failure to move Wall looms over this draft.

If they never are able to dump him, it'll make this draft significantly worse.

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My 2 cents.

I wrapped my head the Jalen Green rationale - I think it’s a decent bet and hope it’s right.

I love the combo of Sengun and Garuba. Totally different profiles. Both have potential to be star level players in different ways. With Sengun, I think his floor is as an Enes Kanter type rotational big man, with potential for a lot more. The player Garuba reminds me of is Paul Millsap. I like the idea of guys like he and Tate around to help set the tone in terms of motor.

I haven’t quite figured out the Josh Christopher pick (other than he seems to be everyone’s friend). I think the team is still in BPA, but both he and Jalen Green are pretty much complete positional overlap. As a pure scorer, I probably would’ve taken Cam Thomas over Christopher, and if picking a guard, I would’ve gone with Jaden Springer, who at least has combo guard potential and would bring a defensive mindset to the table.

11. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

This is why I hope Sengun/Garuba don't come over. Garuba probably would benefit just going to the gleague to work on developing any kind of offensive move while Sengun, he can stay in Europe (doubt he does) because yeah...I think it will help to insert Sengun when our back court roles are set. This entire season should be about KPJ/Green learning how to play off each other and with Wood/Olynyk (which are great practice for Sengun) and then once they are comfy then you can throw in a skilled big like Sengun.

Right now the team is going to have major sticky ball issues.

But Wall has to go for that to happen.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Olynyk isn't actually on the team though.

Right now Sengun could be the starter at the 5.

hakeem94 and groovemachine like this.
  13. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Seriously, there should be a poll, there might be a few 'B' votes, maybe even a 'C'

hakeem94, saleem and harold bingo like this.
  14. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We know EG will be dealt, and Wall will EVENTUALLY be gone too.

Yessirree...It's a full on rebuild!

groovemachine likes this.
  15. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yeah, they might not re-sign Olynyk and Sengun if he does play for the Rockets this year (which sounds like is the plan) can probably start depending on how big the Rockets want to go because they might still start Tate at PF and Wood at C.

I think our starting lineup right now looks like...

Wall
    KPJ
    Green
    Tate
    Wood

I really think they'll start all 3 guards which will be a mess because none of these guys (Green, Wall, or KPJ) will be happy coming off the bench.

Wall has to go.

MultipleSauces likes this.
  16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yikes. That's disgusting.

I mean, it'll help the tank, but if Wall is still here, it's probably better to play Sengun at the 5 (not that he'd be a competent defender either) and Wood at the 4 and put Green on the bench. There's not a position Green is capable of defending, so you really can't have him out there next to Wall and KPJ with Wood as the sole big unless you want to give up 140 points a game.

JayGoogle likes this.
  17. Jwise44

Jwise44 Member

DITCH WALL

kpj/khyri
    Green/Gordon/brooks
    Tate/nwaba
    Sengun/kj
    Wood/Gusman

so many players looking like udfas that can be 2 ways or even make teams

hakeem94 and saleem like this.
  18. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

It will be an amazing job to go 17-55 with so many franchise players in your team.

hakeem94 likes this.
  19. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I'm pretty sure Wall and the Rockets want to part ways, but Wall is gonna have to prove he wants to be an actual PG again and not the chucking tank commander we saw last season before somebody else will want him.

Wall started out last season very well in that regard before the bottom fell out. Lets give him the chance to show that again before we have to drop assets to dump him. If these kids can't handle coming off the bench at their age then we've already got a problem.

hakeem94 and saleem like this.
  20. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Green pick was obvious and Stone did the right thing. Kid is going to be special.

I’m hoping Sengun helps me to finally get over my disdain for Turkish players selected in the 1st round by the Rockets. (Mirsad Turckan over Rashard Lewis?!?!?!)

If just one of Sengun, Garuba, or Christopher becomes an above average player and Green becomes what we hope then this draft should be considered a success.