1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Marvel Movie] Black Widow

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Oct 12, 2018.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

GRENDEL and DreamShook like this.
  2. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

Watched it today, it was good honestly. Black Widow's story was interesting in the comics and I enjoyed the family dynamic.

The opening theme with the Teen Spirit cover was sick.

I'd watch the movie first to really appreciate how they did it, but here is the artist for those interested.

Jontro and jiggyfly like this.
  3. Roscoe Arbuckle

Weird Al did a better cover.

Invisible Fan and TWS1986 like this.
  4. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

There is a reason why James Bond married her.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  5. JW86

JW86 Member

Sorry, but as a non-comic lover and having no emotional ties to any of these Marvel Universe characters, backstories etc. and just watching these for fun, I found this one very disappointing. The only thing that made it bearable is the father's humour - loved how absurd his costume and lines were. The story was decent, but the timing of it all didn't help, but just as a main character Black Widow is just not that interesting. The fights were forgetabble, the main villain was a joke, and only the drama sister relationship kept the plot going.

Jontro likes this.
  6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Saw it last night:

Taskmaster was awful; they pretty much Deadpool'd her. The first two acts were weirdly different than the last act and the last act was laughable. So much CGI, there were plotholes with the pheromones and the bad guy leaving his ring behind, the weird way Natasha just left in the helicopter, the accents were awful, and with all the family talk in it, I thought I was watching Fast 9. Natasha surviving each fight and fall was pretty laughable too

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

The movie was ok. My main issue with it is that it was all stuff I've seen before. After watching Loki and WandaVision, for example, and seeing how they are doing new and interesting things, this felt a little too vanilla. It was fine overall, but I probably won't be watching it again.

Rocket River and GRENDEL like this.
  8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Scarjo not impressed

Xerobull likes this.
  9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

People rush to take sides. Like there's animosity between the parties. Seems like it's procedural to ensure she gets paid fairly. Word is that Disney is stingy during the negotiation phase, but I bet they pay a fair amount without making a stink.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  10. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

The Disney+ release of Black Widow seems like a disaster for them. I might be wrong but I heard they only get 50% of the revenues from the purchases on Disney+

11. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Disaster for who? Disney gets way more than 50% of revenue on Disney+. They are cutting out the middle men. Actors are getting screwed because their contracts are usually based on Box Office Revenue (for extra money or less upfront, more on the backend contracts). These movies were agreed to based on the old Box Office model.

12. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

That is correct, Disney gets 100% of those earnings for the streams it's one of the reasons the theater owners hate it.

WB and HBO Max set up a financial agreement to do the day to day along with upfront backend payouts with top tier talent like Gal Gadot, Denzel Washington, ect.....

I'd assumed Disney had a similar set up with the talent but it sure doesn't sounds like it....

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  13. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Marvel Studios has been known for penny pinching before their merger with Disney. Those multi year contacts weren't friendly to the title actors and I think they only had "full enthusiasm for the role" after they got extensions.

14. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Sorry I saw the video again and I completely misheard the number. It was 15% not 50% lol.

https://boundingintocomics.com/2021...for-black-widows-poor-box-office-performance/

NATO notes, “Early analysis pointed at the $60 million in Premiere Access revenue and compared it to the domestic theatrical of $80 million and declared it a success, especially because Disney keeps every dollar of home release. It does not. Approximately 15% of revenue goes to the various platforms through which consumers access Disney+.”

GRENDEL likes this.
  15. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

BO revenue sharing is pretty rare for actors. It’s usually for top tier talent leveraging their roles in sequels to uber successful movies. The first one I heard of was Keanu and the Matrix sequels.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Wow, Scarlett is looking really old.

Jontro likes this.
  17. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Nope. Tom Hanks pretty much got it for all his movies. He made a buttload for Forest Gump. I think he made 60 million which was unheard of at the time.

18. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

They only get ~50% of money from theaters.

robbie380 likes this.
  19. TimDuncanDonaut

WB had to pay their talents for the exclusive content on HBO Max that was also in movie theatres. Rumorred total in ~one billion range. Denzel for example got 20 mil bonus for the Little Things.

Disney finally being called out. The outcome of the law suit will be interesting. If she wins, others may follow suit. There was some provision in her contract that the Widow move was supposed to premiere in Theatre first. But Disney didn't get her approval to simultaneously release on Streaming. And she didn't get a cut. That breach sounds is black and white.

Her suit has other claims, like driving up Sub fees and getting a cut of that. That's more gray; don't think Disney will budge.

Win or lose, Disney is unlikely to work with her again. She also may not care, because this could be her big pay day.

It is a bit of labor vs big corp. With studios doing their own streaming services, lot of the talents (actors/writers/...etc) are getting cut out of the profit. Royalty once enjoyed in traditional model is not being shared in the new world. This law suit is a correction of sorts.

#159 TimDuncanDonaut, Jul 30, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
    GRENDEL likes this.
  20. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

That did not use to be the case, Theaters used only make their money on concessions.