1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Case for Trading Up to get Alperen Sengun

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Medicine N Music, Jul 3, 2021.

1. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Is Giannis not a "big man"? Yeah he dribbles and runs, but he scores more than half his points inside the paint.

It's just such a narrow-minded way to look at things. I agree they are typically more of a project, but completely refusing to draft bigs in the first round makes absolutely no basketball sense. I'm glad you aren't the Rockets GM.

2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I was disappointed with how Wood played when he didn’t have Harden making life easy for him. People need to realize that the Wood you guys saw early in the season was running P&R with Harden.

That being said we’ll see how he plays this season with what should be a much more athletic team than whatever we had after the all star break.

BallSoHarden likes this.
  3. J.R.

J.R. Member

Alperen Sengun

Western Conference Executive 1: This guy was really productive in this league. He’s not a great athlete. He wasn’t an accomplished shooter. But can really work you over inside, and rebound it and pass it. Because of (Denver’s Nikola) Jokić, that helps him – European guy who isn’t a great athlete, but young and very productive. He’s not going to get left off the side of the road like Jokic was.

Eastern Conference Executive 4: He’s averaging all these points at an adult, senior-level, good competition Turkish league. There’s money in the Turkish league. He’s physical, good with his footwork. He’s an anomaly; he’s not a rim protector, not a vertical spacer. He’s not the atypical NBA big. A guy like Jokić thriving in the league and being the MVP, it’s hard for people to sort of discount a Euro now if he’s not an elite athlete. Because of that, it’s going to have a positive impact on his draft stock. You’ll be able to play him early. He’s already playing against men. He’ll get overwhelmed by starters in the NBA with their athleticism. It’ll take him a while to get used to that. But he’ll be able to play against backups and be effective. Good footwork. Knows to score, knows to rebound. Plays with fire.

In terms of long-term upside, that’s really hard to gauge. Right now, he’s sort of developing a 3. He’s not a non-shooter when you watch him practice and watch him in the gym. Shoots a comfortable 3 from the international line, but doesn’t do it a ton in games. But neither did Jokić. People were laughing at Jokić at the (2014) Hoop Summit. He was shooting a bunch of 3s and people said ‘what’s this kid doing? What’s he doing?’ And now it’s part of his game, a building block of his game. You have to run at him, and it makes him quicker.

RasaqBoi, Kingshadaine, ilias and 3 others like this.
  4. Bo6

Bo6 Member

here's to hoping he drops because he's "not athletic".. but i have a hard time seeing him slip past OKC at their second pick.

BigM and Caesar like this.
  5. CXbby

CXbby Member

Hollinger has Sengun above Green, which I've been saying for awhile.

hakeem94 likes this.
  6. roslolian

roslolian Member

Didnt Hollinger also like Oden over KD? It's just one opinion over a sea of others.

Edit: my bad it was chad ford lol

However I still dont understand how Green is a "medium risk" when the dude played a harder league than in the NCAA.

#386 roslolian, Jul 29, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
    hakeem94 likes this.
  7. CXbby

CXbby Member

It was a harder league, but he was a negative on the court. Scoring efficiency was very good. Net rating terrible.

Kingshadaine and hakeem94 like this.
  8. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

They did have that 6 game winning streak immediately after the Harden trade, things looked different then. I think Wall was actually playing well for that short stint as well. My concern with Wood is that this was a small sample size and he had something to prove, I am not sure if he will be consistent and if he is if he can stay on the floor for 70+ games a year.

juanming likes this.
  9. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

10. CXbby

CXbby Member

Who the hell is this guy?

I like him.

#390 CXbby, Jul 29, 2021
    rockets1995 and HakeemOnlyFan like this.
  11. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

i think hes a well respected name... ..Tom Haberstroh is the national NBA Insider for NBC Sports

Rudyc281 and CXbby like this.
  12. CXbby

CXbby Member

That's a wrap boys. Congrats Orlando, yall got a special one. Perfect fit next to Isaac too to cover his weaknesses, couldn't ask for a better pf to partner with.

7uche, Rudyc281, ilias and 2 others like this.
  13. Poonwalker

Poonwalker Member

I think he is going to be special. I would say floor Joe Ingles, Ceiling Jokic, and Love as intermediary level. Certainly a lottery pick top 3 level talent in a normal year. But he's coming from an unfamiliar area and that casts some seeds of doubt. What you see is a very young player that has focussed on the paint points and rebounding put backs but he is developing his shot.

#393 Poonwalker, Jul 29, 2021
    groovemachine likes this.
  14. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

"Potential gets GMs and coaches fired!"

I like Senguns skill set for a slow footed, old school paint guy with a jumper. To say he should go #1?? Laughable.

DonatelloLimestone likes this.
  15. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

he is a better player than jalen green BY A LOT

16. CXbby

CXbby Member

Sengun is the opposite of potential. He had, by far and away, the highest production compared to anyone else in the draft, at a higher level of competition than anyone else in the draft besides Garuba.

All potential no substance, that guy you are looking for is Jalen Green.

hakeem94 likes this.
  17. CXbby

CXbby Member

Btw John Hammond also drafted Giannis. Just sayin.

hakeem94 likes this.
  18. ilias

ilias Member

If the Magic get Barnes and Sengun, they will be the winners of draft night.

CXbby, cmoak1982 and groovemachine like this.
  19. CXbby

CXbby Member

Mobley is the best player in the draft. But Barnes + Sengun > Mobley.

You are right.

hakeem94 likes this.
  20. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Look in spite of the weird hostility in this thread I'm excited for this and I'm going to root for success. Kudos to you guys for calling this.