1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Why it needs to be Mobley...

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Landry's Tooth, Jun 27, 2021.

1. AnHero

AnHero Member

I have come around on Mobley. I want him and his endless box of tools plus unicorn potential. Jalen Green just screams low floor Jamal Crawford scorer if things go wrong. I wish we could trade down for Suggs but that would be too risky.

D-rock, CXbby and Ubiquitin like this.
  2. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

If Jamal Crawford (3 x 6th man of the year) is Green "going wrong" then that's great. If Mobley goes wrong what do we get? Either a too skinny big who can't bang/rebound/score in the post OR a wing who doesn't have the shooting/scoring/agility/speed/handles to be an effective 3. Basically another tweener who does lots of things ok, but nothing well enough to make a difference (see the pre-Harden Adelman Rockets for reference.)

3. TimDuncanDonaut

There was something a scout said that stuck in my mind when comparing scoring against defense in G-league and College.

Paraphrasing here: if there's a center 6'8" or above, who can defend schemes like drop coverage, chance are that person is not in the G-League, already called up to the NBA. He's also saying the interior D in g-league is weak(er). So may have to take that into account; on scorer's layups, dunks and floaters.

But the perimeter guard defense in G-league is decent can be argued to be stronger than college. So if the draftee can shoot well at the 3 or long range 2 at decent clip and efficiency, that's a good sign. The other usual metric for how well shooting translates to the NBA is FT %.

As far as current intel, Mobley is very mobile and high potential as the defensive C, so he's on very good grounds of staying in the NBA and not likely demoted to the G-League.

Since reported that Green is not bad at shooting from the outside. He's also a good FT shooter. To me, those things are more impressive than layups and dunks in g-league highlight reels.

#863 TimDuncanDonaut, Jul 29, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
    D-rock likes this.
  4. Reeko

Reeko Member

so apparently Mobley did in fact workout for the Pistons, and he had a very good workout according to an article written today in The Athletic

After a strong pre-draft workout earlier this week in Detroit, speculation that the Pistons are seriously considering Mobley with the top-pick overall intensified – though our draft guru Sam Vecenie still believes Oklahoma State’s Cade Cunningham will go No. 1. Mobley certainly will go no later than No. 3 to Cleveland, which has been connected to him for weeks by those within the NBA.

Eastern Conference Executive 2:
    I’ve watched a little film on these guys. Cade and Mobley are a tier above, and then there’s Jalen Green next, then after that it’s (Jalen) Suggs. After Suggs, it opens up a little bit. Mobley, he finished working out with them and he supposedly blew them out of the water, compared to what Cade has done there. … When I watch (Mobley), that’s what I see as well – Bosh. I see a little more ball skill than Bosh at the same age, but the same fluid movement, the comfort level on the perimeter, the feel for how to move on the perimeter and in transition seems to be very consistent with Bosh. I think there’s a little more ballhandle skill than Bosh at the same period of time. Competes at both ends. Never backed down. A lot of games where he might have been challenged physically, but he didn’t back down; he fought.

D-rock likes this.
  5. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Darko Milicic.

edit: check out Darkos draft bio:

RasaqBoi, Bo6 and Dobbizzle like this.
  6. vator

vator Contributing Member

So are we really about to pass on this guy?

7. CXbby

CXbby Member

Would be a massive f'up with dire long term consequences. I think Eli quits if Tilman is forcing this pick.

Milos and TheRedRanger like this.
  8. vator

Not gonna lie, now that today is the day, I’m getting cold feet. :(

Jalen listen, this is difficult for me. I mean you have elite hair versatility and I love that about you, but…

[​IMG]

Evan Mobley…

[​IMG]

9. AnHero

AnHero Member

Mobley just seems to have the most upside. Right or wrong. The other factor is that a Jalen Green type of player is regularly available to draft or acquire via free agency or trade. A player like Evan Mobley usually costs a ton of assets to acquire in a trade. Players like Mobley are rarely available to draft.

10. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Imagine pining for a guy who doesnt want to be here. Couldnt be me.

11. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

There is absolutely no evidence that he doesn't want to be here; sick of people who read/listen to the media and just assume it as gospel.

With that, I'm still hopeful that the Rockets are going to take Mobley. All of their "leaks" since Stone took over have been intentional. I fail to believe that they have just let it be known to everyone that Green is their guy.

jch1911, D-rock, CXbby and 1 other person like this.
  12. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Imagine trading Kobe for Vlade Divak because he didn’t want to be a Hornet

D-rock and CXbby like this.
  13. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

It's a tradition for new Rockets owners to use their highest pick on a big man

Charlie Thomas got Hakeem
    Les Alexander got Yao
    Tilman Fertitta gets...Alperen Sengun via trade and ends up with him and Green :D

Bo6, Verbal Christ, jch1911 and 2 others like this.
  14. TimDuncanDonaut

I've already convinced myself that the GMs will do: 1) cade 2) green 3) mobley.

What is UP with all these last minute contradicting reports....

[​IMG]

D-rock likes this.
  15. vator

Brandy gets it lmao.

“Have you ever been in love
    Been in love so bad
    You'd do anything to make them understand?
    Have you ever had someone steal your heart away
    You'd give anything to make them feel the same?”

“Have you ever found the one
    You've dreamed of all of your life?
    You'd do just about anything to look into their eyes
    Have you finally found the one you've given your heart to
    Only to find that one won't give their heart to you?”

Verbal Christ likes this.
  16. D-rock

D-rock Member

LOL

So he'll score more instead amirite?

You're a hoot.

17. D-rock

D-rock Member

Universally beloved does not include CF, Porter, Stone or the Fertitta family obviously.

18. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Clicks.

Bo6 likes this.
  19. D-rock

D-rock Member

Mobley is an elite athlete, not just solid.

Bad comp bud.

Verbal Christ and REEKO_HTOWN like this.
  20. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I see it like this. Mobley is more of a unicorn and Green is more of a prototype.

With Green, you know what you're getting. The high scoring SG that you expect 3-4 years from now dropping 30 with ease. If you could build an all-star SG you'd build Green.

Mobley at his peak? Who knows what you're getting 3-4 years from now. Some people even think he could be played at wing. Mobley is definitely more of a player that could break the mold. He could end up being a fantastic two way player in the NBA and a Center at that. Pretty crazy since most two way centers in NBA history do very well.

I hope the Rockets swerve everyone and pick him. I'm not worried about him not wanting to be here. We didn't hear that noise until recently when more media leaks came out that the Rockets are picking Green...

Should we pick Green, I'm fine with that too. I hope he becomes the Kobe that everyone imagines.