1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Big 12 Scraps Aren't So Bad...

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Landry's Tooth, Jul 26, 2021.

1. Landry's Tooth

Winning, power and control...

Thinking they can push the league around like ut or ou...

2. Landry's Tooth

So if there's that many in limbo, wouldn't that be another conference?

3. Landry's Tooth

A lot more rape and assault at Texas...

If you're going to criticize...

4. Landry's Tooth

Geography does matter. It's expensive to fly a women's lacrosse team to Michigan or Oregon from Texas...

I think most alumni of the big 12 is fine with just plugging along with a couple replacements and build up the conference brand over time. Does it really matter going from the 4th best conference to 5th or 6th?

5. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I believe UT and OU's behavior will trigger the NCAA leadership to propose crafting policy about conference affliations: regulating either maximum size, revenue sharing or disparity, or required length of membership. Nothing ever seems to be enough for UT, after shuttering the SWC and effectlively banning half their members from ever competing for a national championship, hoarding revenues in the Big 12 while driving off senior members, and now trying to shudder yet another conference. Where a private Methodist college's desparation and hypocrisy consumed and destroyed their program, avarice and ego will probably at least check an overly privileged state school. I wouldn't be surprised to start seeing some articles about UT's Permanent Fund endowment and the fossil fuel angle, in addition to a recapping of their conference hopping.

#85 Dairy Ashford, Jul 28, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
  6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

NCAA leadership? The SEC along with UT run the sport now. Not the NCAA. The NCAA cant do anything. Because the SEC does not need the NCAA.

7. Landry's Tooth

Texas has been a bad actor for a long time. I don't care about them leaving. They don't bring anything to the conference of positive value.

Oklahoma leaving does actually hurt but it does come with the positive of leaving the conference title open to all... except Kansas of course...

8. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Lol @ Big 12 sending ESPN a cease and desist letter.

The Big 12 is dead. There are no G5 teams that can sustain it as a P5 league. The next attractive school, Kansas, needs to get on the phone with the Big 10 and ACC.

The AAC needs to stand firm. Who could have guessed the AAC would poach the Big 12 and not vice versa?

All the schools who rode Texas and OU’s tails, are left on the side of the road.

Ziggy, arkoe and mtbrays like this.
  9. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Correct. A lot of people view the NCAA like the NFL or the NBA but it is not - it does not have the same authority over its members.

10. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

"As the SEC shocked the world by preparing to assume the 'Horns and Sooners, the Big 12 lost 50% to 75% of its value, several industry sources tell CBS Sports. Their TV contracts with ESPN and Fox contain language that allows the Big 12 networks to reduce payouts if there is a loss of membership... That means the Big 12 deal could drop from $37 million in annual revenue to as low as $9 million per school. Considering there aren't two schools available that come close to replacing the value of Texas and Oklahoma, the Big 12 is in troubled waters to say the least." - CBS Sports

11. Landry's Tooth

And Oklahoma is 90% of that. Longhorns have stopped watching because they aren't competing.

If we were going by school size UH is almost as big... so in theory they would offset.

Btw, the Sec is getting 21 million per year per team starting with their new deal in 2024.

So you're talking about a drop of 12 million.

OU and Texas aren't increasing the SEC money from 21 million to 33 million. They don't make the SEC a 57% better product.

12. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm going to need a source on OU being 90% of the TV revenue and Longhorns no longer watching.

Edit: It seems like you're just making up numbers because you don't like UT. It's fine if you don't like us and want to pin all of the blame for this on Texas, but Oklahoma is leaving the Big 12 all the same.

Here are the average TV audiences according to The Athletic:

Oklahoma Avg. TV Audience: 3.76M
    Texas Avg. TV Audience: 3.2M
    All Other Big 12 Schools: 886k

The Texas/LSU game was also the most-watched game over the 2018-2019 window with 8.6M viewers.

Can I ask which school you cheer for? You seem to be a believer in the Big 12's long-term viability and it'd make the conversation more interesting if your loyalties were clearer.

#92 mtbrays, Jul 29, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
    arkoe and Ziggy like this.
  13. Landry's Tooth

Yeah, I'm making up the 90%. If i wasn't i would have cited the source. I was exaggerating for effect. Texas hasn't matter in 15 years. Oklahoma was the only title contender in the conference.

I'm not really sure what your point is. Will ratings drop? Of course. Of course there's a money hit. No one said otherwise. Someone took the data from The Athletic (your source) and said the ratings would be the same as the aac. So why would they dissolve to join an "equal" conference rather than poach a few teams who could boost ratings?

The reality is if you go undefeated in the big 12 you're still getting a playoff spot. The rest will sort itself out over time with better recruiting and out of conference schedule...

So here's what i get from you... UT may be a bully and wield power it doesn't deserve but that's ok because a lot of people tune in to watch them lose...

How sustainable is that?

You're making a huge deal out of 10 to 15 million in temporary lost revenue... a lot of these schools can handle that just fine...

14. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

My alma mater, Baylor, is fresh off a national title. It won't matter. I wish that it did, but it likely won't.

I want UH & Baylor to land well in all this mess. A super conference with a group of teams playing for a title my schools aren't even allowed to compete for and in which I don't really have a rooting interest is completely uninteresting to me. It may just be me who feels that way, but I don't know. So if there's any truth to the concerns about this move for the parties doing the moving it would be that ultimately they kill the golden goose. Of course, it may have already been killed by the NIL ruling.

HTXSportsAddict, arkoe and Ziggy like this.
  15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

UT can lose for another 10 years and still be more valuable than all of the existing Big 12 teams combinedt.

Undefeated Big 12 teams are not getting into any playoffs. 1-loss Baylor & 1-loss TCU teams were DENIED playoff spots back when the Big 12 had real teams in it. Big 12 title winning OU teams were denied the playoffs at least twice that I can think of. Big 12 is done, they'll be begging for Katy HS and Southlake to join, lulztz.

mtbrays likes this.
  16. Landry's Tooth

As a fellow Baylor alum, the Big 10 and Pac12 do nothing for me. The aac doesn't do anything for me.

I enjoy the close regional competition with so many schools a few hours away and games in this time zone...

I think Houston, Rice, and SMU are reasonable gets.

If they get recruits and play a good non conference the dollars will follow over time..

I'm curious what UT ratings look like 10 years from now if they are Tennessee of the SEC West...

17. Landry's Tooth

There are a lot more playoff spots now...

UT fans are like Dallas Cowboys fans... empty branding...

I see you are focued on "value" which has more to do with the school than the program. With that logic you can make a case for Rice...

18. Major

Major Member

Basically every single thing in this post is factually incorrect. All the numbers, all the data, everything.

Ziggy likes this.
  19. Major

Major Member

This is just bizarre that you read this and didn't even think through the logic. The SEC currently is at $40MM+. They aren't halving their revenues in their next giant TV deal. WTF?

The projection before example was $67MM/team in the SEC. https://awfulannouncing.com/ncaa/16-team-sec-central-revenue.html

Ziggy likes this.
  20. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

You don't really understand business. Tickets to Texas games still cost over 100 bucks in the nose bleeds and they are sold out more often than not. Texas is the highest in merchandising by a lot!!!!!

https://graphics.wsj.com/table/NCAA_2019

Revenue

1 Texas 163,928,296
    2 Ohio State 136,574,384
    3 Alabama 140,831,439
    4 Michigan 133,665,548
    5 Notre Dame 118,740,294
    6 Georgia 138,088,467
    7 Oklahoma 126,416,865
    8 Auburn 128,960,499
    9 LSU 122,703,938
    10 Tennessee 113,766,836

Merchandising

Top 10 colleges for licensed merchandise sales
    According an article over at Statesman.com, the SEC has five schools that are in the top 10 for licensed merchandise sales.

Here is the top 10:

1. Texas
    2. Alabama
    3. Kentucky
    4. Florida

5. Michigan
    6. Louisiana State
    7. North Carolina
    8. Georgia
    9. Notre Dame
    10. Oklahoma

McNultyisDrunk likes this.