1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Mariners

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Jul 26, 2021.

1. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

Yea but the 3 batter rule, its saving time, and the pitch clock, and the other uh uh uh things, Yea no, baseball is baseball, just leave it alone. This sh*t happens.

2. vince

vince Member

Astros brought the offense for this series. Sure they blew that first game, but stuff like that happens and good teams are able to move on quickly from bad losses.

Let's not ignore that Seattle came into this series high with confidence, playing good baseball. So when you have a Seattle team playing good baseball, they aren't going to roll over an quit, which they demonstrated to the Astros.

But winning this series was solid. Especially when the Astros had to tame down a Seattle team that was flying high with confidence.

3. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

Man I can’t believe that this is most-likely the last friggin season we see this combo together, uggh

4. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Perhaps. But I have enjoyed every season thoroughly since 2015, and in that time, a lot of guys have come and gone. While I miss some of them, so far at least, it hasn't diminished my liking and watching the current team.

mikol13 and STR8Thugg like this.
  5. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

If the Astros can manage to win 3 out of the next 5 against SF and LAD I’d be very happy. After that they have a 25 game stretch where the best team they play is Seattle. The Stros need to make hay in August and try to put the division way out of reach and make a push for overall best record.

6. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

It takes a long time to throw 400 pitches, even in a 9 inning game.

7. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Best record is definitely secondary to getting hot going into the playoffs. There have been many teams that peaked in September and foudered in October. We definitely don't want to be one of them.

SooneRockStro likes this.
  8. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

There is no point in being sad *before* something happens. Let's enjoy now.

HTXSportsAddict and jakedasnake like this.
  9. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

I got home around 5pm and had managed to avoid spoiling the score. Started watching and fast forwarding, suddenly we are up 8-0 in the 5th or whatever and I'm elated. I glance and notice there are literally 2 hours left in this game. The recording is 4 hours 40 mins long.

SAME EXACT THING AS TUESDAY MORNING... instantly I'm freaking out, like no way we blew this lead and let it go to extras, right?!?!

Powered thru the second half of that game. For an 11-4 final, it sure as hell gave me a scare. Screw you Xfinity for not providing a better experience for recorded live sporting events.

BigM and JeeberD like this.
  10. STR8Thugg

Sure, but you can't look at it like that. It's still better for the Astros to be playing well heading into the postseason.

raining threes likes this.
  11. STR8Thugg

I agree with everything else, but no, sorry, you should never be blowing 7-0 leads the way we did. There is no excuse. It was atrocious. Luckily, the Astros are good enough that some ridiculous, mind-boggling losses usually don't hurt us. I guess it's baseball's way of evening out the Altuve comeback game.

12. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Agreed. Playing well now AND going into the playoffs is optimal.

Giving a struggling player or one who's been on IL PAs or Pitchers and older players rest is something you will do to optimize post season chances.

I prefer that we make those choices earlier than some in the past who waited to clinch their division before doing so. It was like throwing a monkey wrench into the machine that delivered the division. I want the machine clicking on all cylinders.

I believe it is why teams which fought to the last day or two seemed to stay hot after getting into the playoffs and those who clinched early were often eliminated.

#692 Marshall Bryant, Jul 29, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
  13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Yep. Astros should only face one playoff team (unless Kelenic gets his head out of his butt and the Mariners get back to winning) after this road trip until they clinch the division.

SooneRockStro likes this.
  14. vince

vince Member

I know, you are right. Since the Astros had not blown a 7 run lead since the 2000 season. So, that's over 20 years...

The bright side about blowing the lead, was it put some urgency to the Astros to tinker with the bullpen. Here they have a lineup which excels (offensively and defensivley), a starting rotation that has been very solid, but a very weak bullpen. With the moves this week, I think the Astros have at least a slightly above average bullpen, with the potential to be a top bullpen if things click....

15. STR8Thugg

I've heard a lot of people say this, but I'm not sure I truly buy that. And honestly, I hope that's not true. I hope Click isn't that reactionary or emotional, and I highly doubt he is. He's basically an analytical robot, so I suspect he was going to be active regardless.

Either way, I'm happy with the moves so far.

vince likes this.
  16. raining threes

You mean Raley equaled out Altuve's comeback game.

17. SuraGotMadHops

So when do we get to DFA Raley??

You know who I liked pitching when we had big leads? Garza. He was the king of mop up and he pitched loose and effective. I would rather see him in mop up than Raley or Bielak.

18. toby

toby Member

Agree! On some level, the loss might have changed what Seattle asked for - exposed our desperation. Not that it really mattered.

19. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

After the deadline most likely.

I'm sure Click is gonna try to offload his salary before he cuts him outright. They've been very patient with waiting for him to pitch up to his peripherals but he just can't do it.

20. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

While you don't want your GM to be reactionary or emotional he does have to have a good pulse on the team and what keeps them competing at a high level. That loss to the Mariners was a huge letdown for the players especially. Reminds me of Keuchel speaking out against management not making any moves at the trade deadline in 2017. Luhnow heard Keuchel and must have had a good read on the clubhouse that most were disappointed in the lack of moves and went out and made the most crucial trade in Astros history.

Click likely did the same thing in realizing the players were a little demoralized after that loss and needed to know that help was on the way in the bullpen. The move was praised by Pressly and I believe Correa or Altuve but I can't find their quote exactly. Seems like it is just what the clubhouse needed during these dog days and the team bounced right back from that loss.

Also, Click has shown to be anything but reactionary. He seems very patient and these 2 moves seem great on the surface since they really didn't affect the major league roster in a negative way considering Diaz is back and Bregman will hopefully be back soon too. Keep in mind, this deal of Toro for Graveman could have been discussed for awhile now but Click wanted to wait for Diaz to return and Bregman to begin rehab assignment (which happened 2 days ago) before pulling the trigger perhaps.

vince likes this.