1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Case for Trading Up to get Alperen Sengun

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Medicine N Music, Jul 3, 2021.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Both cannot shoot, hope the new guy got range.

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The Rockets did not have a great PF for quite some time.

If Mook were to be 6 ft 10 and more of a PF than SF, this would have worked out better.

Always liked Mook's shooting, that said.

3. roslolian

roslolian Member

What I'm getting here whether via traditional metrics or this WARP Jalen Green ranks very high so that just solidifies my thought on him being the pick.

Sengun can end up very good but he wont last outside the lotto so unless we willing to part with multiple picks we aint getting him. Wood when healthy is an ok big man option imo, and he has some stretch which Sengun currently still needs to polish.

4. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Really? I've seen him considered "the best guard prospect in a decade" but you think there's a slim chance he'll be better than an undrafted guy who's struggled to stay in the league who despite showing flashes of great play is neither an all star, a game changer, or a top guy? You're very pessimistic.

7uche, BallSoHarden and Caesar like this.
  5. Poonwalker

Poonwalker Member

Sengun is the dark horse in this draft. I can see us all shocked how everyone passed him by. His floor is a Kevin Love and ceiling is Jokic level.

hakeem94 likes this.
  6. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Have you seen him play in an actual game or are you putting him top three based on Pelton's ranking?

CVcrew likes this.
  7. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

So by your logic PJ Tucker is worthy of a top 10 pick? Won the finals!

Jokic is the MVP of the league and objectively, a really, really good basketball player. Why am I even arguing with this nonsense...

8. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

STOP. RIGHT. THERE. THAT IS THE POINT.

You got it. @napalm06 didn't. Arguing about whether he would take Jokic with the 10th pick.... right.

9. CXbby

CXbby Member

I've been high on him for months. Check my post history (since you guys like to do that so much). Yes I have seen him in multiple full games.

Kingshadaine and MrButtocks like this.
  10. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

You mean Minnesota Kevin Love? :eek:

If that's his floor he should be in the conversation for top 3

Kingshadaine likes this.
  11. PatBev

PatBev Member

First trade I’ve read in months I actually agree with

12. Bo6

Bo6 Member

dont you love how the media can only compare white guys with other white guys

13. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sengun has no reliable jumper at all. Kevin Love is defined by his ability to play inside and then take it outside and shoot a 3. He plays nothing at all like Kevin Love.

hakeem94 likes this.
  14. CXbby

CXbby Member

Here.

15. CXbby

CXbby Member

Correct. Developing a 3pt shot is merely a projection right now. A better comp would be Kevin McHale.

hakeem94 likes this.
  16. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

It would be cool if we could get Sangun and Garuba. Only recently have I come over to the Garuba-train, but now I'm all in.

Fullcourt and Kingshadaine like this.
  17. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So your projecting the absolute worse case for Sengun's is to be a 7x all-star and one of the 50 best players in league history?

18. CXbby

CXbby Member

No. Definitely not worst case. Just their style of play and best case.

19. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Who said Jokic is a bad player? I said his defense is a flaw you have to really carefully build around. Sengun will have to be pretty good to get to the level where you have to justify that like with Jokic.

Since you asked, I think you and others are arguing with my post and calling it nonsense because you don't understand it. I'm not arguing with anyone, I just made what I think is a self evident point. Yao Ming was a helluva player and got absolutely punked by inferior but quicker players in Boozer and Okur.

Im just not reaching up for big men in the first round, just my philosophy. There are so many busts that we can't even name them because we don't remember who they are.

The other day I started pulling data from Basketball Refrence on drafts since 2000 to show the trends on big men, but it ended up being a pain.

Jokic as a fresh MVP has given people ONE sudden bullet to use in the "What big men are great and your post is nonsense" argument.

20. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

Wood is an OK player, he will not be the best or second best player on a championship team. No guy that decides to show up at 25 after bouncing around in the league ends up being a consistent star, it has never happened in the modern NBA. I think Whiteside fooled people a bit by figuring it out late, but he flamed out shortly after, Wood will likely be the same. The guy is built like a twig and hasn't been able to stay on the floor and win games. He had that cool little 6 game winning streak though, and I can bet that he has a great contract year and someone stupidly pays the guy.