1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shams - Philly offered Simmons/Thybulle + draft compensation. Did we make the right deal?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ThatBoyNick, Jan 13, 2021.

?

Which package would you have prefered?

Poll closed Jan 18, 2021.
  1. Nets package

177 vote(s)
    50.4%
  2. Phillys package

174 vote(s)
    49.6%
  1. dmoneybangbang

From the Rockets perspective, not trading for Simmons was a smart move.

I just don't think we have enough information to know it was Tilman or Morey who held up the trade. I feel like it's Tilman, not Morey as the Harden/Embiid basketball fit is too great.

2. DonatelloLimestone

I don't believe that simmons problem is heart. The way the guy plays defense whch is the least rewarded and foccused part of the game shows his heart, shows his pride. While I agree he came out of the bat a solid offensive player, but has stagnated. HIs defense has improved year in and out. The fit on this team has never been ideal, its two all stars but they just don't complment eachother well. Ben simmons is a niche. His shooting causes too many problems, especially in the playoffs, if he can't ix it taht will always be there

. But then at times the narratives of internet slapstick reactions, bt it giannis last year after his sweep in an nba season, or chris pauls done in 2019 after us just happen each year. Ben simmons had the worst showing in his life, but all the time we focus on what they can't do we ignore the fact that this kid is elite at every, single, other thing in the nba. Hes an elite versatile defender who can guard all over the court, hes an absolute disruptor on defense. He has elite athleticism and size, you can't find 6'10 guys like this wirth that foto speed, lateral movement, and control over the ball and wisdom. He is an elite playmaker, you give him a 4 out offense and next year he can easily be a 18-11-7 guy with 2 steals and a block. Ultimately, Ia gree, if he wants teh chip and wants to be elite hell have to find a way to break the barrier for his mental issue with shooting, but hes only 25 and does everything well. Good coaches can make that work. So I haven't nailed the coffin on him and I try to not respond so far and also without seeing what options and opportunities there are.

HE is not and was not the right pick for the rockets for sure, could we have moved him etc? but I still think he can gain value and improve in this league

3. TimDuncanDonaut

Signs were there:

Attitude towards academics for example.

' Simmons tells reporters who asked him why he stopped attending class after the first semester, “Well, I can’t get a degree in two semesters, so what’s the point?” '

1.8 gpa C/C- student. Less to do with being dumb as much as not trying.

It's like:
    'learn to shoot? I got a max contract, what's the point?'

Dude plateaued years ago.

#1223 TimDuncanDonaut, Jul 26, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
    BallSoHarden, CVcrew, Denovo and 4 others like this.
  4. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Agreed, while playing a game his heart is completely in it and he tries his best while on the court. What about the offseason though when he is not competing? Does he have enough heart, competitive drive, work ethic, love of the game to quit ****ing a celebrity and get back on the basketball court? I don't blame him at all for having a life outside of basketball considering I am just a fan and not a GM of a team but if I am a GM of a team I need to know if my superstar highest paid players will put in the work in the offseason to better themselves.

This is kind of unfair to Ben because like you mentioned I do think he tries and has heart but it is just strange that he has not progressed. I really think for him he has just peaked at least offensively and lacks the confidence for whatever reason to expand his range. Not necessarily a knock on Morey in hoping that Simmons can improve but mainly a knock on Morey for not doing everything in his power to get James ****in Harden for Ben Simmons while he had the chance. As a Rocket fan, I am happy how the trade turned out since i feel we got the better package but still just shocked that Morey was too gun shy to pull it off. Seems like he overplays his hand in negotiations due to his cockiness which has probably cost him some moves that could have led to championships.

5. DonatelloLimestone

I don't get that vibe from him at all, hes out ther working with lebron since hes a rookie EVERY summer. Lebron is literalyl setting the blueprint of what it works. We all get distracted by his elite athleticism, but the guy has become a more refined better shooter POST 30. He works and is committed to the process.

Simmons has been working and whle we all see his glaring flaw, hes gotten better on defense each year, that takes commitment and its often thankless committment but helps win.

So I owuldn't indict him as lazy, I think its a sincere mental issue but I do think he is a hooper true and true. And to see someone compete that way and take pride in defense says a lot to me.

I don't think morey felt simmons couldn't mprove, but morey is a notable stat guy valuing the 3 ball, let alone spacing for embiid makes a lot of obvious sense. T just so happen he inherited this combo and just tries to make it work. wEll never know the truth of the harden trade, but if he had a shot, even with mroe picks needed then Morey majorly dropped the ball. harden is just that good where you gotta do it. Could be true the rumors showed tilman saying never to morey and that wouldn't surprise me. This is the same jerkoff who disparaged his big trade asset in harden publcly with leaks of how terrible of a person he was, WHILE laso leakng that he offered him 100 million to stay and that they won't trade him and will get uncomfortable....so the guy is all over the place and has senseless delusion of a billionaire who thinks he gets it All

but I'll be here for the 30 for 30 of the burn down of small ball n houston and can't wait to see that. My prediction it will be morey since hes all about the media and can't wait for tilmans petty response

D-rock likes this.
  6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

7. TimDuncanDonaut

Morey should be attaching picks to get rid of Simmons. :D I'd be insulted if I'm the Raptors. On a ledger, he's a liability not an asset.

Nurse *calls* Masai, 'yo what are you doing'

#1227 TimDuncanDonaut, Jul 27, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
  8. JW86

JW86 Member

LOL @ that fake trade report. No way Raptors trade for him now after the information that's out now about his lack of off-season work, especially considering VanVleet is an All-Star caliber PG. And then think they'd throw their 4th pick and maybe even OG in there?

I already felt we made the right trade then, as in the more preferable package over this Sixers one, and as time progresses it seems very obvious how flawed Simmons is. Awful to have as your franchise player.

roslolian likes this.
  9. gogispade

gogispade Member

LOL, IF Morey pulls this one out, he indeed will put him self among the NBAs best GM ever.

roslolian likes this.
  10. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

Imagine Maury munching on a donut talking to Masai and offering trash Simmons for all of that :eek:

Not getting Harden in Philly will be the downfall of his tenure there…

harden and Embid would’ve beaten Giannis if healthy

11. cheke64

cheke64 Member

damn, that was a hell of an offer but dumb ass Morey likes big names.

12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

What? That deal was rejected by Toronto (if this report is to be believed). Looks like that whole barrel of assets was asked by Morey and Masai just laughed it off. I don't believe it. Even Morey wouldn't be that audacious.

Deckard and BallSoHarden like this.
  13. Jalen Green OnlyFan

That was his most golden opportunity to turn Simmons albatross into something special.

cheaping out on maxey and pick protection was not the play there. Poor embiid.

All the better for us though. We get Jalen Green!

14. Reeko

Reeko Member

if that tweet is true, then Morey’s officially lost it thinking anyone would agree to that robbery in broad daylight with no mask that is that absurd trade proposal for Ben Simmons

[​IMG]

15. DonatelloLimestone

Not at all, from prospects like Steven adams to almost anyone who went to UNC, TJ ford you name it.
    They goto NCAA, they have limitations of 20 hours ot even spend on training with the coach. They travel throughout the work week and their athletic departments just choose classes they dont have to work in or have people do the work for them. This is almost common and regular. STeven Adams awas talkng abot it in the reddit prospect, that when you're a high prospect they basicallyl treat it like your job. he even was excited to take classes that they wouldn't let him bc the schedule is 95 percent training

Education is important, no doubt about it. But thats not what the ncaa provides for high level prospects they keep out of the class room and on espn throughout the week. And those guys generate enough interest and revenue so that their Athletic Directors and coaches can make shoe deals and millions yearly...they are getting an 'education' though

Simmons has reasonable and obvious criticisms...but the ncaa system aint one of em

16. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

Philly is beyond screwed, these trade propositions are just their PR team trying to keep things afloat. Simmons carries negative value, he is not worth his contract, and their entire team threw him under the bus so they have lost all leverage, in addition the fanbase hates him and wants him gone. There is no way he will be coming to camp. If anything teams should begin to inquire about Joel Embiid's availability since he only has 2 years left on his deal and is not going to win in Philly. I mentioned this last off-season and people thought I was way off and that Philly was a contender. They are trending down.

17. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

perhaps after the rockets secure the top pick in the draft next year the rockets can pair that player/kpj/green/tate/martin jr with joel e lol

18. Reeko

Reeko Member

from KOC on a podcast: Philly wanted back four first round picks, three first round pick swaps, and a young player in return from San Antonio for Ben Simmons

What kind of crack do they have down there in Philadelphia? If I’m San Antonio, I’m sending an employee down to Philly to go slap Morey in person. Don’t ever disrespect me with an offer like that again.

Easy, roslolian, apollo33 and 4 others like this.
  19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

20. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Apparently the Sixers think Simmons is on Harden’s level. Bold.

#1240 Houston77, Jul 28, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
    D-rock likes this.