1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

D&D Coronavirus thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Feb 23, 2020.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

the kids who aren't old enough to get the vaccine are spreading this to the adults. I know the cable news networks don't mention this cause it doesn't sell viewership, but it's true based on the cases I know about.

kid goes to camp, gets virus, goes home.. spread it like jiffy on toast

cheke64 likes this.
  2. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I have seen that reported. I also know of a case where that happened. That's why it's a good thing that Pfizer and Moderna are working on being able to vaccinate younger children.

Also the adults should be vaccinated. That will also help reduce the variants and make us all safer.

tinman likes this.
  3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

little friggin' Republicans! the nerve of them . . .

4. tinman

Supporting Member

The problem with cable news is the politics , but I get it, they need to make money.

The problem is the demographic that cable news network is not aiming for.
    Those who don't TUNE IN but rather prefer AUTO TUNE
    they care about TRAVIS not TUCKER like these Ja Rule loving Sam Fishers

Example of what happened this week

Cable News addicts don't get this. Despite my distaste for this generation's music, I acknowledge they exist, unlike cable news .

Say this Riff Raff looking teenager got COVID and said, 'yooooo it was like not bad BRA' and ' I got it twice yaaaaa'
    he tells all his Riff Raff buddies so they don't mask

Then 'Yo Yo Yo Travis Scott is coming to Miami , let's gooooooooo'

that's what reality is dude. A bunch of old democrats from texas got covid, that's not the big time spreaders bra.

5. cheke64

cheke64 Member

The news doesn't want to talk about covid numbers, they want to talk about all the crimes committed by black people. They're paving the way for the next republican and showing you how bad things have gotten with Biden.

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

The nerve of their parents. . .

Os Trigonum likes this.
  7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Feeling growing peer pressure from liberals to start again on mask-wearing despite my vaccination because of the delta variant. Still seems to me like an over-reaction and bad policy. An over-reaction because even as cases go up again, we're still at a quarter or what we were at during the peak of cases in January, hospitalizations 1/5th, deaths 1/10th. And ~97% of those are among the unvaccinated. Meanwhile, even if I get a breakthrough case, the chances of being hospitalized or dying is much diminished. If the US faced the level of risk that vaccinated Americans do today back in March of 2020, we wouldn't have done anything at all.

There are people in the community at more risk though, right: the anti-vaxxers, the elderly and sick, the young. We can still have mask rules that protect the latter two -- requiring masks in nursing homes, hospitals, and schools (unless you have the misfortune of having a death-cultist for a governor). As for anti-vaxxers, I don't want to protect them. They should carry the burden of their choices, not I. To do so upsets the incentive mechanism to get a vaccine. If the vaccinated continue to wear masks and forego the pleasures of their normal lives, what benefit does the unvaccinated see modeled in that choice? It looks to them that those vaccinated only made that choice out of an abundance of fear and not as a rational choice of the best way to defeat the pandemic.

Separately, while we can't know, I bet our vaccination drive would have gone better had Trump won the election. Not that he would have done a better job. But the anti-vaxxer sentiment seemed to really coalesce only after Biden was definitely president. After that, it seems to have become a badge of political identity. But if Trump had one, it could have been much different. Many more conservatives would have taken Trump's vaccine. Trump might have actually promoted it. We might have conversely seen more resistance in the minority communities where we see low rates today, though we'd have probably seen just as much outreach to those communities from civil organizations as we do now.

8. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

"White House defends Biden's past remarks on virus as CDC shifts guidance":

https://thehill.com/homenews/admini...ds-bidens-past-remarks-on-virus-as-cdc-shifts

excerpt:

The White House on Tuesday defended President Biden's past rhetoric declaring the country had gained the upper hand over the coronavirus and touting vaccinated Americans no longer needed masks on the same day the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) rolled out updated guidance that again recommends those who have gotten the shot wear face coverings in certain settings.
    more at the link

9. tinman

Supporting Member

there are 3 parties

the democrats
    the republicans

the party down in Miami where they DGAF

dumb cable news people on the D&D don't under stand this

yes the IDGAF is the majority
    @Jontro

10. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

One of the reasons Miami is a hell hole. What a steamy pile of crap that place is.

11. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My feeling about the possible return of the mask mandates are that because there are so many people who are unvaccinated and we don't have things like vaccine passports an overall mask mandate covers everyone. It covers the unvaccinated and also any breakthrough cases.

If Trump had been president I highly doubt that our vaccination drive goes better. It's been widely reported that the Trump Admin. didn't really have a plan for nationwide distribution and as we saw with the problems with testing and getting PPE any plan they did have would likely have been chaotic and ridden with politics. We would've seen the Admin fighting with Blue states about getting the vaccine out while Kushner made backroom deals to get it to groups and states as political favors.

12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I had thought and agreed with the first few bits up until I saw how much easier it was for kids to show symptoms from the new strain. There aren't vaccines for them yet so the more dipshit parents thinking they doing Gud Work or whatever, the more their kids are getting infected with it and vice versa.

It's definitely a backdoor spreading vector with many schools opening up from the assumption of previous strains being mostly mild or asymptomatic for tweens and younger.

Will you masking reduce that concern? Probably not but it ain't gonna kill you either. Small price to pay for being outdoors and interacting with other people, but that's just imo...

I think the media would turn it into a scarcity and class issue. It might drive more Trumpers to take it but like you said everything would be done haphazardly and mercenary with Jared hoarding will the needles for his private parties.

There is still a poverty issue where there poor are still underserved and a follow through issue where people are not taking their second shots. Media just rather focus on the "pro-choicers" since outrage is still king for repeat viewers.

#7012 Invisible Fan, Jul 27, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
    rocketsjudoka likes this.
  13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think the rollout would look like what it actually looked like. We were just ramping up distributions when Biden was sworn in. It was essentially a distribution plan run by states, cities, hospital systems, schools, etc. The Biden Admin didn't have time to build and execute on any other plan.

JumpMan likes this.
  14. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

from the
    National Museum of Civil War Medicine

A Civil War surgeon describes the United States Army's ambitious vaccination campaign in 1861.

Dr. Charles Tripler served as medical director of the Army of the Potomac from August 1861 until June 1862. Preventing a major outbreak of smallpox became one of Tripler's first priorities as chief medical officer with an army tasked with defending the nation's capital. Vaccination was a known strategy to prevent the feared and deadly disease.

Medical Director Tripler described his strategy in his report on the organization of the Army of the Potomac's medical department in the summer of 1861:

"While the Army of the Potomac was in process oi organization, small-pox was prevailing rather extensively in several of the districts from which the troops were recruited. It was unsafe to travel, without protection, over any railway in the country.

The city of Washington was infected, as I know from the number of applications made to me by the authorities for the use of our small-pox ambulances to convey city patients to the pest-house.

An eruptive fever hospital had been established before I took charge as director. Under the excellent arrangements made in that establishment by Dr. Thomas, the surgeon in charge, but little risk was incurred of the propagation of the disease to the camps.

Orders were issued and reiterated for the vaccination of all volunteers unprotected. I also recommended that an order should be published, requiring that all recruits for the Army of the Potomac should be vaccinated before they were started from their rendezvous; and that they should be carefully inspected as to this immediately upon their arrival.

Not satisfied with what had been done, I asked for, and obtained, another order, in December 1861, requiring division and brigade commanders to cause the brigade surgeons to again inspect all the men, vaccinating such as were still unprotected, and to report the results to me.

At this late period, most of the brigades were found to have some men unprotected; in a few, the number was serious. In Slocum’s brigade, there were fifteen hundred, in Blenker’s, twelve hundred and fifty, and in Sickles’s, seven hundred and fifty.

Crusts were furnished, and the vaccination completed. As the result, small-pox, though rife in the community, never gained any foothold in the army."

Vaccination campaigns work - as a result of the smallpox vaccine, a deadly epidemic in the Army of the Potomac never took place.

Source: Medical and Surgical History of the War of the Rebellion - find the source here: https://hdl.handle.net/2027/gri.ark:/13960/t0rs0c389?urlappend=%3Bseq=832

jchu14 likes this.
  15. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

While Politifact did feel that the claim that "Trump didn't have a vaccine plan" was mostly false they did point out that what plan the Trump Admin had was very fractured. While it did rely on states there wasn't much communication with the states and not clear how that was going to go about.
    https://www.politifact.com/factchec...vaccine-plan-left-logistics-states-it-did-ex/
    "
    At the same time, it’s clear there was some level of coordination. The U.S. would not have been able to give shots to millions of people, enroll tens of thousands of private providers, and set up a data collection system tying in all 50 states if the federal and state governments had done no planning.

"To say there wasn’t planning is not accurate," Hannan told PolitiFact. "However, I don’t think there was communication from the federal government about the plan, about the vision, about how things would work.""

Again we saw what the Trump Admin. did regarding testing and PPE. Those efforts were chaotic and marked with political infighting. I don't see any evidence that the Trump Admin. wouldn't have done similar with vaccine distribution if they had won.

16. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I wonder if they recorded the reaction of cultists or cult neighborhoods to the vaccine. Something like Jehovah's Witnesses refusing needles with unknown liquids fouling their Divine bodies.

It's terrible for me to pick on that group but...

Anyways with the scarcity issue, the soldiers wouldn't need to storm through neighborhoods and villages pricking everyone with the vaccine like modern day libruhl Nazis....

Don't want magical smallpox vax?
    ::clack clack::
    I only have 50 vitals left anyways. Have some Coca tonic that cures lethargy, intemperance, impotence and dry mouth.

17. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

imagine blindly obeying the clowns at the CDC

18. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

600k Americans are dead.

SIX HUNDRED THOUSAND

19. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/27/cdc...lly-vaccinated-people-in-covid-hot-spots.html

“In areas with substantial and high transmission, CDC recommends fully vaccinated people wear masks in public, indoor settings to help prevent the spread of the delta variant, and protect others. This includes schools,” Walensky said. The CDC recommends that everyone in grade schools wear masks indoors, “including teachers, staff, students and visitors, regardless of vaccination status.”

Walensky said new data shows the variant behaves “uniquely differently from past strains of the virus,” indicating that some vaccinated people infected with the delta variant “may be contagious and spread the virus to others.”

The CDC defines “substantial transmission” as counties that have 50 to 100 cases per 100,000 residents over a seven-day period and “high transmission” is more than 100 cases per 100,000 people over seven days, Walensky said.

For Harris County, the current 7-day rate is at 95.03.

https://covid-harriscounty.hub.arcgis.com/

[​IMG]

#7019 durvasa, Jul 27, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
  20. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

This makes feel bad about going to the Astros game. People F'ing need to get vaccinated or put a mask on. My mindset was that if unvaccinated got sick and died, it's their problem, but this effects kids who don't have the choice of getting vaccinated. When school starts up without a mask mandate, this number will skyrocket.