1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2021 Trade Targets?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by htownbball, May 18, 2021.

1. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Because he hasn't traded for Ohtani, Trout, DeGrom, and Tatis Jr.

2. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

3. jim1961

jim1961 Member

F#ck CF, we need arms. D@mn good ones at that!

4. Nook

Nook Member

The Astros have spoken to the Cubs about Kris Bryant among others.

Please don't shoot the messenger.... they have had a couple of conversations.

5. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Replacing Straw with Bryant would give the Astros one of the top 10 lineups in the history of baseball.

everyday eddie and Nook like this.
  6. jim1961

jim1961 Member

7. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

I keep clicking to see if Click has done anything to help this team click.

raining threes and mikol13 like this.
  8. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

Thanks for sharing @Nook

9. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Any idea what the asking price might be??

10. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Prediction: Astros add Kimbrel and Bryant in the biggest trade of the deadline early Saturday and lose out on Scherzer to the Padres. Everybody is pretty satisfied but mildly disappointed, then at the 12th hour they swing a deal for Charlie Morton.

11. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

I just cried.

12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I will say when this thread started, I wasn't expecting Click to be able to do much as I didn't expect him to have much to deal with too many guys hurt, and he would get blamed for not making any moves.

While Astros Farm System isn't one of the best, it has a few of guys that have stepped up into the good enough to be traded, but not so good that it is hard to let them go. I don't see many Top 100 prospects getting traded. I see Click's big talk being that he's probably going to move one or more of Straw, Chas, and Meyers who probably can get more in return than most rental relievers except for Kimbrel. If Lee is moved, it will likely be for an ace or a near ace.

Htown Legend and Snake Diggit like this.
  13. Nook

Nook Member

I wasn't told a price so it would only be my speculation. What I can tell you is that Click is extremely flexible in who he will target depending on the price. Realistically, Bryant is going to be a free agent and he is a 2.1 WAR player in nearly 300 at bats. That is very good but it isn't great. He does have a pedigree and can play multiple spots.... but the reality is that he is a rental and hasn't been the most productive. The Cubs won't give him away but he shouldn't require a huge haul either..... the appeal of Bryant is the possibility of playing him all over the field and adding another Cub to fill a hole.

I would be excited adding Bryant for sure but it really comes down to cost IMO.

14. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

One stop shopping...

Bryant, Tepera, and Kimbrel

DONE

Nook likes this.
  15. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Can we trade Managers? Baker is a horrible in game manager. I hope the rumors are true that AJ has an opt-out clause in his contract.

16. Nook

Nook Member

The Astros farm system has been under rated for years (after being over rated). I have continuously heard that the Astros farm system isn't that good, yet is continues to produce good players that were not highly thought of... and we are seeing it with some of the projects emerging right now. The Astros system is under rated... that can change at any point but it is good now. The fact that the Astros lack a top 10-20 player in the minors is really being over stressed when they produce so many useful players.

Straw, McCormick, Javier, Garcia, Valdez and Abreu just in the last year plus....... and Leon and Lee both are underrated prospects...

I'm not singling you out as this is a position held by a lot of fans, and it uses standard conventional thinking... but I do believe that it isn't accurate. The Astros have also shown an ability to have their prospects out perform their expected impact and that needs to be considered as well.

17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Add a catcher swap, and then we are talking.

everyday eddie, Htown Legend and Nook like this.
  18. Nook

Nook Member

Can you imagine an Astros line up with Contreras in the 9 hole and Bryant hitting 7th?

19. Bregatron

Bregatron Member

Are you trying to give me a heart attack? ;)

raining threes and Nook like this.
  20. the shark

the shark Member

If the Braves are within 5 games of the Mets are the deadline the Braves aren't going to trade him. I would love it if they could get him but let's see how it plays out.

raining threes likes this.