1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Enjoy the Ride, The Rockets Have the Second Pick

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by treyk3, Jul 26, 2021.

1. treyk3

treyk3 Member

http://rockets.clutchfans.net/11870/houston-rockets-second-pick/

In the midst of everyone choosing sides in the debate of Green vs. Mobley, I decided to do a write up on the state of the Rockets and reflect on how lucky we are as fans that the Rockets landed the second pick.

Thanks to @Clutch for helping with the editing and putting it up on the site.

2. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

"With great power comes great responsibility!"

3. Poonwalker

Poonwalker Member

Nice write up and I fully concur. This is a very rare opportunity to be picking at the top especially when there are 3 players available in that highest tier. We are very fortunate indeed.

4. JW86

JW86 Member

Good piece, I’m actually really surprised how soon it became Mobley vs Green given the history of picks further down excelling and top picks failing to meet or exceed expectations.

I’ve been on both trains and while I preferred Gang Green, Mobley had won me back over, until not wanting to work out for us and it’s clear we want Cade or Green.

To be honest, I don’t even care anymore since all have been overhyped to death so I just try to keep expectations low and am way more excited about potential trades and moving up from 23 and 24.

In any case, I cannot wait for the draft and see us picking 2 amongst some great potential in the likes of Thor, Mann, Grimes, Kai or Murphy. Being in the top 3 in the end is great, but cannot say I’ve enjoyed the ride that much. Mostly because of lack of interest from our side.

Just pick Green / Cade after Pistons make their selection and see what he can do, get it over with and please no crazy trades for #1 nor an established player. Trading down I have no problem with though, surprise us Stone like Morey used to do :)

Only 3 days left :)

juanming, D-rock, Rudyc281 and 2 others like this.
  5. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I love the positivity. I remember when you had to step away briefly because this place became a cesspool after trading away Oladipo for what we thought was nothing.

6. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Little did we know Shaq would be reincarnated in a long haired man from Canada

7. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

In my mind green and Cade are equal prospects. We’re definitely going to be in a position to draft one of them. I see no need to give up assets. That’s my personal opinion who knows what Stone and the war room are thinking but I’d be equally happy with either one. We’re extremely lucky to even be in this position so we’ve already won.

Edit: great write up btw. I think the Mobley ship has sailed. IMO it’s down to green or if Detroit passes on Cade. I’d still be happy Mobley but I think the rockets have zeroed in on their guys.

#7 tmoney1101, Jul 26, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
  8. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

At the end of the day, front offices have 1000x the data we have, so honestly all these Green vs. Mobley threads are dumb as hell lol. I think there is something to be said for Jalen Green playing against G League talent. The floor of his opponents are higher while Cade beats up on some truly bad basketball players, but he will at some point play players that are much better than G League level talent that Jalen Green is facing.

I hope this is a trend though that more players end up just going to the G League and skipping college. It'd be fun to see how players do in a mini NBA versus the college game which is a lot harder to translate.

The only thing I ask is not pull a Darko or a Greg Oden.

9. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

What did the rockets get again? Essentially making the Nets swap not worthless next year now? With the rockets likely getting the heat pick?

10. topfive

topfive CF OG

Our time near the bottom may be blissfully short. Thank thebasketball gods!

11. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Thursday will be fun... let's just hope the brass makes the best pick, and next year we actually win the lottery. :D

Rudyc281, treyk3 and tmoney1101 like this.
  12. JW86

JW86 Member

One thing to add: since we’re all expecting Green given the reports, I’d love if we actually were after Mobley from the start and this was all wonderfully orchestrated (feeding the media etc). Not because of the player but just because it would be a nice surprise.

juanming and Rudyc281 like this.
  13. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

olynyk.gif

@Os Trigonum

14. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

ElDobleK likes this.
  15. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

16. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

As our buddy @treyk3 wrote in that well written article, we been blessed. Rather than talking about fantasy opportunities (and convincing ourselves in the process) of how we were going to convince one of the top 3 pick teams to trade us their treasure for our trash, we instead get to bask in the glory of deciding whether we want to be part of the Mobley Mob or throw a Green Party. Hell, we may even get to take out a little trash (I mean that respectfully EG) along the way :).

Yes my friend, we came in 2nd place in the lottery, and it feels damn good.

Os Trigonum, treyk3 and Rudyc281 like this.
  17. Vivi

Vivi Member

It definitely feels good to be excited about the draft again after so many years, and i really like the position the Rockets are in honestly, seems like Detroit has more doubts then us and would really love to get assets back in order to have us to make the biggest decision, hopefully Stone stands pat unless the a trade is really good for us, and i just hope Tilman will fell asleep hours before the draft so he can't **** this up in some way.

juanming, D-rock and treyk3 like this.
  18. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

My opinion is too important to enjoy the ride.

19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

An excellent column, @treyk3! Really enjoyed it, and before I forget . . .

The Rockets have the second pick!

D-rock and treyk3 like this.
  20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

D*MN! The Draft is close

Rocket River

D-rock likes this.