1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets stonewalled: no individual workout w/ Mobley nor Suggs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JW86, Jul 25, 2021.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

Orly????

2. Salvy

Salvy Member

He probably watched their tourism video.... These dudes should be fighting to be the #2, you feel like a generational player? Show the teams that you are, and if they pass you up that's on them... Make sure you remind them every time you play them but these two are doing the opposite, showing their potential future employers that they have no fight, no desire to fight and that Houston is a waste of their time. Their time, the still undrafted unproven college players.

3. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Would would you single out cade, he thinks he the best player makes sense to only workout there. Green thinks he the best so makes sense for him to work out for the number one pick n 2. Makes no sense for the other 2 unless they don't think the the best. So I'm singling out Mobley and Suggs...but don't care bout Suggs cause I don't even have him in my top 4

4. D-rock

D-rock Member

There is no guarantee that Cade taken #1 either.

The pattern is clear, every top prospect says same thing, Rockets are interesting young team and they believe in the fit BUT no one wants to workout for them.

NO ONE!!!

Except for maybe Green. Let me know when that happens.

5. vator

vator Contributing Member

You know I’m the last person that wants to defend this organization, but what do you do when 3 of the top 4 prospects refuse to work out for you? That’s legitimately concerning. That they are reportedly getting “stonewalled” seems to indicate that they are seeking these workouts and being denied.

Now circling back around, I pray we haven’t become that kind of a team that nobody wants to play for and players try to manipulate everything they can behind the scenes to avoid. That would reflect that there is a perception going around the league that this is indeed a poorly run organization. Sad

6. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

I mean he could, but that's no excuse. Cause you can say they did the same to green by saying they wanted to trade up to 1. So one guy went into a shell when it was a perceived slight while the other displayed mamba mentality. I mean if you can't see that idk brother.

7. raspar

raspar Member

I think this is less on the Rockets as an organization and more on Mobley. Anyone who's not willing to work out with a team should be an huge red flag. The only reason they'd do that is because they have more to lose than gain and mentally know it.

BHannes2BHonest, King1, 7uche and 6 others like this.
  8. D-rock

D-rock Member

Maybe this is what it feels like to be a Vancouver Grizzlies fan?

9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

This always comes with the caveat of 'if true' but I really thought our pick was 50/50 and Mobley would be in for workout without question.

That Suggs wouldn't come in is really weird.

10. Salvy

Salvy Member

There is no perception that this is a poorly ran organization, mainly because its not. If anything the organization has shown to treat their players and staff really well. No one has said anything negative about Houston once gone, if anything even Harden felt bad about how he went about his desire to get carried.

It could be a million things, maybe even those defending Mobley are right... There is no point, but its worst in that case... Just means these guys are spineless and are already entering the league with entitlements that have not been earned.

7uche and don grahamleone like this.
  11. DonatelloLimestone

In theory thats the idea, the business of the draft is another issue. Curry was praying warriors wouldn't take him, so he can fall the next pick to MDA/Knicks. Kobe had to threatend NJ non stop to not take him so he can fall down to 13th and get traded to the lakers.

in the nba, so much comes down to finding the right fit offense, coach, team that will highlight you. Very few lebron like guys can go anywhere and be elite, most have to ind the right roles.

So I don't mind player posturing bc once they are on the team, thats that for a long while or unless theres a lot of drama.

But then it goes to the same point....ok so you don't want to give rockets a trry, but ...cleveland? Another organization that is volatile, prepetually mediocre without lebron, and in that city...? That roster isn't any more promising. He may be able to play the 3 there? I guess he can too here. We are also thin with Woods who he can play off of since hes versatile.

So that part is alarming. But so much we don't know if rockets have invested in player development staff, facilities, and things like that. The tilman issues of the past 3 years i'd imagine is more concerning to an established star, not a new developing rookie.

So all in all, its just a confusing move. I don't see enough of mobley to really get the best feel for him, can see why people are excited on him. So far....still leanng for team green and watch him and kpj run up other teams next year. Green will be exciting to watch, mobley feels more lke a guy who can be a great piece for a winner down the line, but not the take over catalyst we may need. In any case, I think we've got rich options to choose at no 2, not to mention we can get creative at 23/24 too

Go Rockets

12. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Rockets haven’t had an interesting draft choice in forever so no idea if this kind of posturing is normal or not. It is weird though.

13. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Yes. Exactly. He's got a high basketball IQ, but his interview answers don't seem to have him labeled as a great speaker. Nothing wrong with that. He's a smart kid from what I've heard.

groovemachine and D-rock like this.
  14. Salvy

Salvy Member

I don't think its Tilman, it could be... I'd like to at least wait and see before everyone automatically blaming Tilman as usual when they have absolutely no idea what in the hell is going on. We have no Idea what Stone has said, is doing or even what the stance is. I'm sure its just simply that Houston is locked in to take Green. Mobley sees Cleveland as his team, he will instantly be the guy there. In Houston KPJ and Wood are likely here to stay and develop. This is Mobley's chance to take a team and be the man. I still see this as something good, good to know this man does not want Houston. We need someone whose heart will be here. We can't keep sending players to their desired destinations...

15. DonatelloLimestone

"
    aul said, via Chotiner:

"'I educated [Davis] on why I thought the team wouldn't be . . . ' He paused. 'All athletes are competitive and confident, until reality sets in. And I educated him on things.'""

"
    aul laid out what superstars need to see from teams to give a long-term commitment.

"You either need your team in place, or you need flexibility, assets, money, and the ability to make decisions. And, more important, the willingness to pay the [luxury] tax ... This ain't 'Moneyball.'"

Paul was referring to a team either being ready to compete, having future flexibility to improve the team, and being willing to pay the so-called luxury tax for spending over the salary cap. According to Chotiner, the Pelicans were not willing to pay it at the time and thus kept their payroll below a certain level.

"
    "I think his agent did me a favor, OK," Fertitta said at the media availability, explaining that he now had an easy out if the Rockets had a disappointing year and decided to move on from D'Antoni.

That's typically not the kind of comment made out loud, much less to the media, by an owner who is attempting to defuse drama. Of course, it's also an unusual approach to point out a coach's age and publicly wonder whether he wanted to continue working beyond next season, as Fertitta did when asked by the Houston Chronicle weeks earlier about a potential extension. That prompted the 68-year-old D'Antoni to make it clear that he planned to coach "at a high level for at least another three years."

Nor is it normal NBA business practice to spill the specifics of an offer that wasn't accepted. Fertitta volunteered that the "great extension offer" he made D'Antoni included a $5 million base salary -- below market value for a coach of his stature -- and $1 million in incentives for each playoff round won.

Fertitta failed to mention the buyout language that guaranteed D'Antoni only half of his base salary if the Rockets fired him before the extension began. That was the primary sticking point for D'Antoni, who hoped for a commitment of two more seasons beyond this contract and never seriously considered a half-hearted offer of one more year.

In the NBA, its a very small world. Players agents, coaches agents all talk. No one going to turn down the bag, but for 1a stars or guys who have a lot of options they will not choose rockets unless we show we get the NBA par, that is a billions league now, that the spending has increased back when the pistons owner was the first to fly private, to now new franchises building world class facilities even dining rooms to keep it all in house. We havent invested in that way.

Its no surprise when rockets were 'willing to get uncomfrotable' with harden and wanted him to stay, despite leaking he was the problem-they also leaked they offered him 100 million to stay, they still only hired a rookie coach, rookie gm, and now outside of chris wallace we almost had no one in the organization before that with any clout or history or experience to even just be a steady hand. Theres not one time in nba history we've seen a President, GM, ass gms, Coach, Associate head coach, stars, vets, tucker you name it all demand to be out along those same lines and if the were the problem, those guys were all doing plenty of winning.

So our reputation has suffered, typcally rocets and houston was considered a great place to live and a great organization. Those moves change nad the new intellinget stars see all of this, the new agents know this.

But as you said, we began changing the tide only last year after a terrible blow up that made us tha lughing stock of the league. Thats good that we recognized that, and hope ful for the futre. Lets rememebr Sarver and the suns we're considreed terrible, like us traded away first round picks for savings(that 20th pick they sold was rondo!)...they somehow evolved to lterally doing the signings that we wouldn't do, its a great example of 'keeping a contract alive' to the people who can't differentiate keeping ariza as a win or nba eocnomics of keeping a contract alive. I.e: They signed Ariza for that one year deal when we wouldn't at 15 million, they traded the conract months later for Kelly oubre. Kelly oubre and Rubio were combined to trade for another guy rockets didn't like paying, Chrs Paul. They messed around and got to their first finals since 1993.

So thats my hope. If we play things like we played the last 3 years, if green becomes a superstar...he'll demand a trade, as would Kobe, Lebron, MJ, or anyone who doesn't want to waste their short culmination of their lifes work on a guy who will blame you and lie to you. So its fine to point out hardens flaws, he fell short, but to pretend like any other superstar with options is going to stick around is as silly as any of our staff who ran to other options when they had em too.

This is a new rockets, lets do it right this time around learn from history and not blnd ourselves to it

Milos likes this.
  16. DonatelloLimestone

Agreed, at this point its speculation. I've been vocal, with receipts on tilman, but this is a rookie, this aint a max player with clout. So unless they have intil that we won't spend on development staff etc then maybe tahts it, but at this point this just seems like an odd and sheepish move to hide mobley. Don't like it, but then again I'm fine with green, cade, even mobley so I'm not stressed about it, I feel rockets are going to be in a good position no matter what.

My speculation is maybe mobley does awnt to hide his individaul workout. He wasn't a dominat player, he had dominant stats though. IF he goes in and does nothing elite and they see him more of an Issac, basically a high level very athletic talented role player he may just lower his value rather than now where people are really excited abotu the 'what if' potential

That said, we need to do what pihilly did in their rebuild too, invest in facilities, staff...all tehse things can fix our rep of the last 3 years and make us a destination, which houston as the 4th biggest market is and always has been. Owners going to have to spend, this aint the 90s, the budget wins are just gone in this league and gong further and further with new tv deals. But we're in good shape, we just gotta keep buildng, ownership can stop pointing fingers wand excuses and just invest in our new restart...no ones asking for tax money now, and we can just build organically and maybe with kpj we have a harden who we can shape better too as hes younger...lets see,

Dobbizzle and Salvy like this.
  17. Salvy

Salvy Member

I don't know but this is our chance, Tilman needs to step up and do everything he can to make this a good destination. I think he can, don't know that he will...With that said, I'm totally having a change of heart... Been hoping for Mobley for the past month but just a few days left and I'm getting excited for Green... I'm really hoping for no drama. No trades, no bs from Tilman or Stone or anyone. Draft Green and live with it...

18. Jalen Green OnlyFan

I feel like this is a very unfair response.

I very much prefer Jalen Green over Mobley and make no attempt to hide that.

I can show you multiple posters on here who have questioned Mobley's passion. I also said he still seems like a professional who works hard.

I could be wrong but that's how Mobley comes across to me.

19. Caesar

Caesar Member

Maybe that whole Jalen Green was promised to be taken thing was truly us and these others know and don't want to waste time?

20. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Yes, he might be that incompetent. If he decided Cade and Green are his guys is it a stretch to think he would pinch pennies by not flying in Mobley and Suggs?