1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why it needs to be Mobley...

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Landry's Tooth, Jun 27, 2021.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

2. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Baffles me how over half the board wants to draft a cookie cutter guard over a unicorn prospect.

There are at least triple the amount of guards who can be a top two option on a title team as there are bigs, and KPJ could very easily end up being one of those guards.

3. D-rock

D-rock Member

4. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

Appreciate your posts on Mobley , in the other thread I think you posted enough to nearly convince me he is the right pick. However, what type of big is Mobley exactly? If he is comparable to Giannis, Lebron , or Kawhi as this tweet is implying I can see why he is the pick. Although my understanding is Mobley is comparable to a traditional Center or power forward, so his ceiling would be similar to Chris Bosh. I do not think a big similar to Bam, or even Ayton is worth this pick if there are elite guards available. I think there is a significant difference in being classified an oversized wing player vs being a center. KD is 7ft tall, but he is not called a big. I think many on this forum including myself see Mobley as a traditional center, and not an oversized wing player who will bring the ball up the floor. I could be wrong in that categorization.

Mobley is compared to Chris Bosh , while Green is compared to elite shooting guards (I’ve heard kobe , which is likely a stretch lol). If going with a guy that could become an elite shooting guard means passing up on the next Chris bosh I am ok with it. I wouldn’t be ok with that risk if we are passing up on the next elite wing player like lebron , kawhi , or Giannis.

The player I’ve found Mobley to have the most in common with is actually Marcus Camby, very similar and he was positioned in a very deep draft as the second overall pick . This draft had Iverson , Kobe , SAR, Ray Allen, Steve Nash, Marburry, etc etc, so that is why I think people thinking taking a traditional big would come back to haunt us.

#584 BallSoHarden, Jul 23, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
  5. D-rock

D-rock Member

Mobley is a unique big, his skillset makes him out to be a wing in 7 foot body. I originally projected him as starting 4, small ball 5.

From day ONE.

But the game is evolving.

The evolution is not about small ball, its SKILL ball.

If you consider Giannis a wing, then so is Mobley.

But his skillset is diverse enough that he can also be a very skilled 5.

Mobley just fits into ANY scheme, he is that impactful on both defense AND offense.

6. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

Are we seriously gonna ignore the fact that Mobley is a coach’s son?

Coach’s sons are always bratty and entitled.

Not really sure I want that on my team.

7. D-rock

D-rock Member

LOL

That is complete opposite of Mobley's personality.

8. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

Guess we better trade up for Cade.

glimmertwins likes this.
  9. D-rock

D-rock Member

Do you consider Luka a big or a guard?

Luka is definitely not a wing.

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. Salvy

Salvy Member

Gonna go with Big, yeah Luka for sure is a big...

[​IMG]

D-rock and roslolian like this.
  11. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

that’s James Corden

D-rock, rhee, roslolian and 4 others like this.
  12. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

#2 for #3 and Sexton

CLE gets their choice of Green/Mobley and we get the leftovers + a great combo guard to pair with KPJ

groovemachine, roslolian and hakeem94 like this.
  13. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

With Mobley a lot of it is mental. I really believe he will overcome the mental battle and get tougher and become a beast at some point.

D-rock likes this.
  14. roslolian

roslolian Member

You are right but context matters as well. Sure in a perfect world a unicorn is so much more valuable than another random guard. But realistically the main reason unicorns are called unicorns is cuz for every unicorn there are like 50 donkeys right? The only unicorns in the NBA that come to mind are AD, KD, Giannis and Porzingis but we get unicorn prospects every year. Meaning so many things need to go right for someone to be a unicorn and even then theres a chance it still goes all wrong like with Porzingis who was a unicorn before but is a donkey now. If we are gonna be realistic, chances are Mobley wont hit his potential. Thats just the statistics of the NBA, a lot more big men turn into Nerlens Noel rather than Joel Embiid.

OTH, cookie cutter guards arent sexy but they translate much better in the NBA. Yeah there's a chance Jalen Green wont be the best guard in thsi draft, it could be Bouknight, Springer, Moody etc there's really no way to tell at this pt in their careers. But at least Green's bust rate is almost zero, his floor is a Jamal Crawford type of player so you know you'll get a useful player no matter what, unlike Mobley who can turn into a bust if everything goes wrong.

Green's ceiling isnt the highest but it's still pretty high, lots of analysts say his ceiling is higher than Cade's. Dont see why we should take a gamble at this point.

awc713 likes this.
  15. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Just bumping this for visibility - Nate Duncan and Danny Leroux aren’t always right but they are generally not far off either. It’s a valid point brought up by Nate. Bully ball only works if you are big enough to bully opposing players. The Marcus Camby comp mentioned earlier is absolutely accurate if Mobley doesn’t fill out.

…just to put it in context I think their low end assessment on Green is that of a Rip Hamilton type of scorer - one dimensional, but good at that one thing, maybe makes a few all star teams. Their likely comp is that of a Brad Beal or Devin Booker type scorer - basically an elite scoring option who makes multiple all star teams but doesn’t necessarily raise the floor of the team until they develop a play making component. They said if Green if can become a good defender(unlikely) or can develop some passing/playmaking skills(shown flashes so far), then he could be a real top 10 player.

…they also thought Green will enter the league more skilled than Anthony Edwards did and significantly more polished than Zach Lavine as a rookie.

#595 glimmertwins, Jul 23, 2021
    awc713, D-rock and roslolian like this.
  16. roslolian

roslolian Member

Mobley is far from Giannis lol, Giannis is Lebron 2.0 physically while Mobley is a less athletic AD. Mobley's pogostick frame is enough to deal with college white boys but he gonna get destroyed by the big men in the NBA due to his lack of strength. Just look at Poku's nos last year. Mobley aint gonna be ripping rebs from hands of opponents and then dunking on their heads like Giannis lol let's get real.

Mobley's skillset is diverse but it doesnt mean it is effective yet. Like his 3 pt shot, yeah it is there but at 30% its still pretty bad. 69% ft is above average for a big but horrible for a wing. If you tell Mobley to be an SF right now he gonna struggle, period.

17. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

That 3pt shot is on a very small sample size too

roslolian likes this.
  18. roslolian

roslolian Member

Yeah only 3 attempts a game. So I really dont buy on that "wing" talk lmao it aint like Mobley been playing on the perimeter or showing a lot of perimeter skills. When he takes the ball into the hoop he looks like a big man he doesnt look like Kevin Durant or Tmac.

19. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

I'm pretty much at the point that even if Jalen Green is an absolutely guaranteed Bradley Beal, I'd still want Mobley
    There hasn't been a "unicorn" projected top 5 for a few years, unless you consider Zion a unicorn who was also consensus #1

awc713 likes this.
  20. awc713

awc713 Member

yup. Khris Middleton, Caruso/Danny Green, and OG Anububy were the most recent SGs on championship teams. Khris is a solid player, but you don’t *need* ~top 5-10 SG to win in this league. Hell, CP3 has shown just how tough it is for elite guards. Give me the unicorn prospect who grades well across the board, I don’t get the debate honestly. Green is a great scorer but you only take him if you think he is Kobe. A Zach Lavine, or Beal/Booker best case scenario and great players no doubt, doesn’t make this a championship team.

Don’t want Sexton. Good young player but KPJ will need the ball in his hands, and if we add Sexton and are left with Green, I just see Sexton complicating things at that point.

#600 awc713, Jul 23, 2021
    sydmill likes this.