1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Many of you are selling Evan Mobley short

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Jun 22, 2021.

1. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Only took him a couple 5-6 years to get there. I don't know if you remember our rebounding woes when he was here and would get bullied around quite a bit both in the post and for rebounds.

D-rock, Bo6 and RasaqBoi like this.
  2. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

Same tho
    Mobley biggest weakness is his strength. From game (not highlight) you can see him getting push easily and he can't finish through contact. He has good shooting form, but he can't make them consistently. If you ask me last year Mobley or Green, I would say Mobley. Rare to see 7 footer with those skill but he needs improvement. I don't know how hard he works in the gym. Green on the other hand, you heard lots of good things from his coaches and teammates. I'm fine with either one.

mightybosstone and RasaqBoi like this.
  3. J.R.

J.R. Member

4. Reeko

Reeko Member

it took him 4 years…not 5-6

we are at the bottom of the league, so Idk why needing time to develop is talked about as some bad thing as if we’re gonna be doing anything of note any time soon

Lavine and Beal weren’t even good until year 5, but there’s never a peep about that because for some reason it’s only big men that need time

our rebounding woes had to do far more with the lack of rebounders he was playing with…PJ Tucker would play 34 minutes as an undersized PF and grab just 5-6 boards…Eric Gordon plays over 30 minutes and doesn’t even average 3 rebounds…1 guy can’t do everything

Mobley projects to be an elite defender

5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

This is nothing to do with Mobley or any prospect, but I do think time to develop is important, because often you get these franchises that are constantly in the lottery because maybe they hit one, but that dude takes 4-5 years to develop and they miss on the next 2 or 3 years, and maybe hit on that 4th year, but then the guy that they first hit on is tired of losing or wants to go to a bigger market, etc.

Again, not saying it should change your thinking at this point... most prospects at the top of the lotto need some time to develop at least.

6. Reeko

Reeko Member

Jalen Green could easily need 4-5 years to become a good playmaker if he ever becomes that, or 4-5 years to be a high level, efficient scorer, but that is hardly ever taken into account on here

people talk as if Mobley will definitely need 4-5 years just to go from mediocre to good

many top lotto picks are in a losing situation for many years to start their career, especially when they aren’t some Lebron, KD, Luka, etc level prospect that can propel a franchise early

7. sydmill

sydmill Member

[​IMG]

It doesnt require some Giannis level transformation to go from skinny kid to requisite NBA size and strength. Is LAL AD that much more swole than Kentucky AD? Mobley doesnt have to go from pencil neck to Adonis to be successful. He does need to add weight but there is no doubt he will get bigger. Also keep in mind that this guy played 30 mpg in a much more physical NBA:
    [​IMG]

D-rock likes this.
  8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He also averaged at least 3 blocks a game for 9 of his first 10 seasons. Only one player managed 3 blocks per game in a season in the last 5 seasons....and they did it only once.

Bradley was buried by an avalanche of amazing big men when he played, but he was actually a really good shot blocker.....unfortunately that was about the ONLY thing he was good at.

10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

yeah, my comment was irrespective of which prospect we're talking about.

personally, i do think Mobley will need longer than Green right out the gates, but i don't think it matters that much, cause if Mobley does catch up he can certainly pass Green.

My point was more, regardless of who they pick, the idea needs to be multiple high level hits on draft picks this draft plus the next 2 quickly then supplemented with the right FA signings.

I mean, not that that's anything revolutionary... obviously you want to hit on all your draft picks, lol.

Verbal Christ and sydmill like this.
  11. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

Oliver Miller College vs NBA. Those broad shoulders.

[​IMG]

vs

[​IMG]

12. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

13. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

All this picture tells me is that he went from a college basketball player to a fat SURGEON.

Doctor Harden

topfive likes this.
  14. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Popeye Jones always looks messed up in photos. Every damn one Ive ever seen I think.

BossHogg713 likes this.
  15. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

3 Sandwiches!! LOLLL

You win!

BossHogg713 likes this.
  16. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

17. vator

vator Contributing Member

18. TimDuncanDonaut

Maybe it's not about the shoulder size, but what you do with it.

[​IMG]

Motion in the ocean.

D-rock likes this.
  19. TimDuncanDonaut

Having a big who can laterally move well is pretty big.

The bucks this year did several defensive schemes. When they needed to go big they can and when they go small they also can. Akin to the championship Lakers last year.

Traditional defense with a big center like Brook who did drop coverage.

Switch defense, putting PJ in and slotting Giannis to the 5. This could be Mobley at the 5.

Having a switchable big, with lateral quickness, can cover long distance with 2-3 strides, like a gazelle, is a real premium.

Even if you don't eventually keep Mobley, imagine having this guy on a rookie contract and the haul you can get. A densive mobile big is much coveted by contenders.

#1779 TimDuncanDonaut, Jul 23, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
    D-rock likes this.
  20. J.R.

J.R. Member